PDA

View Full Version : Best suspension/wheels set up for XC racing

Ba9801
10-24-2012, 07:59 PM
I was wondering what everyone is running for XC racing.
I want to get some new parts for next season to try to do some harescrambles.
I have never raced before so I am not sure what would be best.

I have OMF Beadlocks on my 700XX but was wondering what other good wheel options there are for the 400EX.
ITP, Hiper, Douglas, any others?
And should I run reinforced wheels or beadlocks?

Also I wanted to know what would be the best A-Arm / front shock setup.
I dont want to go to wide and have problems in the tight terrain. I was thinking about Houser Slicast a-arms +1 wide.

As for front shocks I was thinking of getting Elka Stage 4's. But should I use long travel or standard travel shocks? As for the rear I was thinking Elka stage 2.

I was also thinking either a Houser or Lonestar racing steering stem with 1 1/8" Pro-Taper bars.

Any other help or suggestions would be very helpful.

CJM
10-24-2012, 08:33 PM
-Revalved/respurng 450r front shocks
-+1 arms from houser, JD, etc
-Douglass beadlocks or .190, but still the stock honda rims are tougher believe it or not.
-+1 stem if your short
-Steering stablizer
-Rear GT Thunder XC link, revalved/resprung 400ex shock, 450r rear brake setup, GT thunder skid plate

Mine is about 90% there with all of that besides the stem and the front shocks/arms and it handles very well in the woods.

Ba9801
10-24-2012, 08:39 PM
I already have 450R GT Thunder front shocks on it and I have a CCP steering stabilizer. I also have a Armadillo swing arm skid pad.

I just did not know if the GT Thunder 450R shocks would hold up on a 2 hour race without overheating. They have been revalved and dual sprung and were set up for trail riding.

If I use the GT Thunder XC link will the Armadillo swing arm skid pad still fit?

Is the 450R rear brake setup difficult to install? and what year setup should I be looking for?

I have a 2007 400EX by the way.

Thanks for the help
:)

CJM
10-24-2012, 09:21 PM
Fronts should be fine, I doubt Laz would build shocks that cant take a beating.

Gonna have to dump your swingarm skid and run the GT Thunder skid. That or cut your skid up to clear the linkage as it hangs down a bit.

450r any years rear brake will fit. Combined with the link you can instead run a rotor guard and sprocket guard-more clearance but more vulnerable.

I run the GTT rear setup and yea it hangs low but it hasnt caused me issues yet. HOWEVER I do not ride in rocks at all and even though the linkage is thick billet AL its not something Id like to find out.

I will say with the proper shock setup and the link I can hit whoops like you wouldnt believe with no problems.

Stickman400
10-24-2012, 10:57 PM
I have everything CJM mentioned on my 400 with the exception that my fronts are JET triple rate re-valves which are better imo, and I have ITP Baja rims. And I have to say my 400 is the best handling thing in the woods that I have ever rode. Smooth as can be and pretty quick too with the way I have the engine and sprockets setup. The only thing I don't like is the 3+2 front rims, I wish I had 4+1s because that extra inch does become noticable in the real tight sections.

Zeb400EX
10-25-2012, 12:16 AM
Pick you up a pair of yfz450 front calipers too. They bolt on without any mods. They r dual piston calipers. Helps a lot in the tight sections. You'll be able to run into the corners faster because you'll be able to slow down so much quicker than with your stock ex calipers. Its honestly one of the best mods I've ever done.

Longdong
10-25-2012, 04:20 PM
[i]Originally posted by Ba9801 [/

I was also thinking either a Houser or Lonestar racing steering stem with 1 1/8" Pro-Taper bars.

Any other help or suggestions would be very helpful. [/B]

Why a different stem? Just curious

Ba9801
10-25-2012, 05:03 PM
I figured the anti-vibe bar clamp on the houser or lonestar would help with fatigue

Longdong
10-25-2012, 05:36 PM
Just an idea. I switched to the precision anti vibe bar clamps on my boys race bike. IMO just as good as an anti vibe stem and cheaper. He can bend a stock stem and replace it for $60 vs $300 anti vibe stem.

TacicalRedneck
10-28-2012, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Ba9801
I was wondering what everyone is running for XC racing.
I want to get some new parts for next season to try to do some harescrambles.
I have never raced before so I am not sure what would be best.

I have OMF Beadlocks on my 700XX but was wondering what other good wheel options there are for the 400EX.
ITP, Hiper, Douglas, any others?
And should I run reinforced wheels or beadlocks.

Any other help or suggestions would be very helpful.

DWT champion in a box beadlocks are the crave around here. Dont forget mudplugs to, water and mud stays under that ring and its hard to clean

Ba9801
10-28-2012, 07:53 PM
Thanks alot for all the great suggestions. This gives me some more things to look into now.