PDA

View Full Version : rear brake assembly

KKiowaTJ
10-23-2012, 12:05 PM
Im curious if any other rear brake assemblys bolt up to a 2000 400ex? I dont know what part went wrong after new pads, But i know i can get re build kits if i have to and a rear caliper, But would rather buy a part out item thats all there.

But just curious if a 450r/er, crf450, etc will work or can be made to work.

The problem i have is everything worked until i put new pads on. Now the rear pedal is stiff as heck and it will go down and stay down until you toe it up or use your hand.
I have taken the caliper apart a few times and the piston is not sideways but thats as far as i got. I use the fronts 90% the time anyway, But id like to have rear for hills and piece of mind.

Any help would be great, Thanks

CJM
10-23-2012, 12:17 PM
Try cleaning up and greasing up the piston.

duneslider
10-23-2012, 12:59 PM
banshee's us the same rear caliper. Only yamaha doesn't sell rebuild kits for them, go figure.

Thumpin440ex
10-23-2012, 01:23 PM
I would check the actual master cylinder, to see if it is working properly. If it is not returning the piston/plunger on it could be screwed up. Also crack the bleeder, rebleed the system, it could be air bound, it happens ALOT if it wasn't done correctly, it is easy to suck a hint of air in the line, takes a while to bleed them out all the way.

John

quad2xtreme
10-23-2012, 02:23 PM
450r caliper will work but you need additional 450r parts:

- 450r rotor
- 450r rotor flange (brake rotor mounts to this piece)
- 450r caliper holder
- 450r brake stay (the caliper mounts to this piece)

KKiowaTJ
10-23-2012, 02:53 PM
I took it apart again and cleaned, smoothed and greased the piston and same stiff pedal.

i have bled it soo many times im on my third bottle. Now i could be doing it wrong so i had a friend try and same results.

If it takes all the 450r parts to work scratch that. I had hope i could use everything but the caliper. Master, resi, hose etc if the line/size was the same.

But ill go back to square 1 and start at my master and see if im the weak link for it not working. If all else fails ill start looking in FS and ebay for a complete bolt on and go 400 system. Thanks a ton for the help so far

quad2xtreme
10-23-2012, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by KKiowaTJ
I took it apart again and cleaned, smoothed and greased the piston and same stiff pedal.

i have bled it soo many times im on my third bottle. Now i could be doing it wrong so i had a friend try and same results.

If it takes all the 450r parts to work scratch that. I had hope i could use everything but the caliper. Master, resi, hose etc if the line/size was the same.

But ill go back to square 1 and start at my master and see if im the weak link for it not working. If all else fails ill start looking in FS and ebay for a complete bolt on and go 400 system. Thanks a ton for the help so far

The big advantage to 450r brakes is they are thicker pads, easier to change because they just drop in after you undo one bolt. The rotor is smaller and allows more clearance to your skidplate.

Stickman400
10-23-2012, 10:26 PM
Have you tried looking at the actual pedal where it slides into the frame? It could be rusted and getting seized up when you push it down not allowing it to return. Had this happen twice on my old 250ex and once on my 400.

NacsMXer
10-24-2012, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Stickman400
Have you tried looking at the actual pedal where it slides into the frame? It could be rusted and getting seized up when you push it down not allowing it to return. Had this happen twice on my old 250ex and once on my 400.

X2, happened to mine where you would push it and the pedal would stay down.

Disassemble, clean, and regrease the pivot shaft on the rear brake pedal.

KKiowaTJ
10-24-2012, 06:28 PM
I thought about the being the problem, But i put it off because it had no issues until the new pads. But its not going to hurt it, most likely help so ill do that next plus its free to do.