PDA

View Full Version : Anyone run STI Tech 4 XC tires?

hondaREX
10-23-2012, 04:40 AM
Ive been looking for a new set of rear tires after i got a 3 inch slice on the sidewall of one of my Holeshot HDs. They are pretty worn so it was time anyways, and ive had them for several years already and know what they can hold up to. It actually has 2 tire plugs in it and is holding air but not trusting it for a long ride.

I see these new, or new to me, STI Tech 4 XC tires on rockymountain and was curious if anyone has run them and any feedback if so. They look like a decent tread pattern and the price is right!!! I absolutely love the HDs but if i can get a cheaper alternative, i will go that route.

I ride mostly rocky and muddy trails and an occasional sand pit and along side railroad tracks. Those rocks along side the tracks beat the snot out of the HD knobbys this season. But we have been riding tens of miles at WOT all season on those rocks. Ive got another set of near new HDs on ITP Bajas so for the rest of the season i should be good, but im planning for next season.

Another question, anyone know why the HDs and most Holeshots ive had, all inflate a little different? I always end up with one being taller and narrower and the other wider and lower. Both purchased at the same time with the same PSI in them. This has to be my 3rd set of Holeshots that do this. Thanks.

Quinn4
10-23-2012, 05:19 AM
Motorworks/DWT may still be selling their tires for 40 ea. dirt wheels seems to love the STI brand lately and they are pretty cheap too.

duneslider
10-23-2012, 08:41 AM
The only reason I can see that your tires would inflate different (assuming you really do have the same air pressure) is that the quality of the tires is poor. Poor quality control would cause tires to be different and behave different. I have seen this a lot in cheap paddle tires but not so much in dirt tires. Kind of surprises me to hear it about the holeshots. I haven't owned any but thought they were a decent tire. My razr's have always been good.

hondaREX
10-23-2012, 08:51 AM
I will say this, one set had a plug repair in one of the tires. So im not sure if this had something to do with that set. Cant remember if the repaired tire was the wider or narrower one of that set. But the near new set i have right now has the exact same PSI with a Snap On, low pressure, dial gauge. And probably only a handful of hours on them. The first time i noticed the difference was on a ATC250r 3 wheeler and everytime the front wheel would come off the ground, it would pull to one side. Really crappy when your riding trails!!!

TacicalRedneck
10-23-2012, 06:26 PM
I looked at the STI Tech 4 mx tires, the reviews said the knobs were falling off within weeks :eek2: