PDA

View Full Version : 2 Hour Race

Stickman400
10-21-2012, 11:08 PM
Alright guys this Sautday my local race track that has been closed for the last 3 years is re-opening and holding alot of races which include a "Midwest 2 Hour Championship", basically a 2 hour hare scramble through woods and part of his GNCC track. There are alot of classes but I'm not sure if their is a cc rating on any of them, I'll have to call to find out. But anyway I'm thinking of either running the C 16-25 Class or the First Year class. I'm thinking the C class because although it would be my first race I am a damn good rider and honestly think it would be unfair for the others. So anyway I'm wondering if should take my 450 or my 400. My 400 is pretty much setup for trails and XC and would be the perfect quad (all mods are in my sig.), but at the end of the day it's still a 400, a damn fast and really smooth 400, but a 400 nonetheless. My 450 on the other hand is setup solely for MX except for the Sprocket and rotor guards and a Maier skid I put on recently. But it's got +2 arms, +4 axle, Walsh savior swinger and linkage and LT shocks front and rear, Tag bars, LSR stem, Hipers, etc. with a K&N filter and Jardine full exhaust. It's stupid fast for being a stock engine but it's still wide. So should I take my 400 or 450? Also what class? C 16-25 or First Year? Thanks for the input guys, it's much appreciated.

dxcody
10-22-2012, 12:48 AM
I learned A LOT this weekend!

First of all, race first year! lol

Don't ride that 450. An MX setup on a XC track is a huge no no. I rode that YFZ with HLS set up for woods and still took a beating.

The width will also kill you.

I knew going in I wasn't going to win, honestly I didn't expect to do worth a crap, but somehow I pulled off a top 20.

About every track will get whooped out really bad and if you ride that 450 you will be hating life lol

I have only raced once, so I am no expert, but I did learn a lot.

A couple things I would have done differently if I could have is:

1. Don't hold back on the start no matter how nervous you are. As long as you can control yourself so you don't wear yourself out fast, go for the holeshot. The less people you have to worry about getting stuck behind, the better.

2. Play it smart. Stay back off people, don't forget that is is LEGAL to go more than 25ft if there is people blocking the main lines!!

3. Just be prepared for anything. Conditions were perfect Friday when we got to the track, and it rained all night and well... you saw what happened.

4. Slow at first (don't get stuck like me) and pick up the pace as you learn the track. I was 38th first lap and made 21 passes in about an hour.

Remember the track changes everytime a quad goes through. So Just take your time and don't have your heart set on one line the whole lap. SCAN FOR LINES THE ENTIRE TIME!

Not telling you how to race, nor I am telling you that you don't know what you are doing, it is just so much different when you get out there rather than watching and saying "I would have done this, or I would have done that.. etc" Ya know what I mean.

Stickman400
10-22-2012, 10:46 AM
Did you get very bad arm pump or did you do a good job pacing yourself and breathing? I'm almost certain I'll get arm pump halfway through and not even be able to grip the bars.

dxcody
10-22-2012, 10:51 AM
I didn't really get arm pump, I just couldn't use my thumb.

It just locked up on me. I was so pissed. I could have been having a big time on that track but I couldn't push the throttle in. Guess that is part of me racing and having not rode in 8 months though.

I gripped the bars really loose too.

DragonGunner
10-22-2012, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by dxcody
I didn't really get arm pump, I just couldn't use my thumb.

It just locked up on me. I was so pissed. I could have been having a big time on that track but I couldn't push the throttle in. Guess that is part of me racing and having not rode in 8 months though.

I gripped the bars really loose too.

Ya those YFZ throttles are on the stiff side, Honda's are so much better. I had a hurt thumb an got a a thumb saver lever, it attaches to the thunb throttle like an extention, an the leverage it gives is great. Good for a first time racer or a long race an your not in shape from riding alot. Cody gave some great advise.

KKiowaTJ
10-22-2012, 06:36 PM
Which track is it? Is there a old and going bald class?

I know kahoka was closed and the old midwest farm sold and shut down. Most likely neither, But if it was midwest, Run the 400. They always ran good there and would fly through the trails and hills.

10-22-2012, 06:44 PM
Run the 400 for sure! Width is the enemy on an xc course. I ran +2 a-arms all year until the last race when i put the stock setup back under the front end. Had my best race of the year and didn't come home with swollen fore arms from hitting trees all day lol! This may sound stupid but, take it easy. The holeshot is important but make sure you and the quad finish the race in one piece. When a faster rider approaches from behind and starts to pressure you, put one finger up in the air to your side to let them know that you know they are there, then find a place to pull over that you won't get stuck and let them by. Try keeping up with them as long as possible, see their lines. The guys that go out and push the limits from the start of the race usually end up with a broken quad by lap 2. About 2 days before the race start hydrating as much as you can, if you have a hydration pack use it. If arm pump is an issue, make sure everything on the bars are adjusted correctly for you, it's a long race comfort is more important than how fast the machine is. You have to be able to ride fast for 2+ hours not get beat to death by a bad setup a half hour in. Most important thing is, when somethings goes wrong like it usually will, you wreck or get stuck etc. , take your time and remember to plug your kill switch back in, check you controls and such. Have fun and let us know how you do.

Stickman400
10-22-2012, 10:45 PM
Yeah it's Mike Burkharts place, I think he calls it Midwest Moto-Park or something, I just call it Burkharts. There was one in Memphis but it got closed down for good I think. The ATV classes are:

AA Pro
AA
B
B 26+
C 16-25
C 26+
30+
40+
50+
Utility
Women
First Year
Junior 12-15

I know you were being sarcastic but I figure I might aswell list them. Thanks for the advice guys, I'm deff. gunna use the 400, still not sure on the class though. I may decide on the day after seeing some of the competition.

dxcody
10-22-2012, 11:02 PM
Well I can tell you, the competition will look intimidating probably..

90% of the younger kids who race around here, mommy and daddy goes out and buys them $8000 quads all decked out and they are usually the ones who DNF, or they kick ***..

I know I was on a 2010 YFZ all decked out and didn't do worth a crap so I guess you can call me "one of those kids" LOL

d90rick
10-23-2012, 07:48 AM
stickman,

do you have or is a there a flyer for the race? the IATVHSS is over for the year and i'd like to race again. thanks.

Stickman400
10-23-2012, 09:34 AM
I'm not intimidated very easily. Most of the guys around here that have nice quads can't do a damn thing on a race track. The only people I worry about is the ones I don't know that travel here to race. Not very many "good" people around here. d90rick, all I have is an ad in the local paper, here is a pic of it.

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv192/Stickman400/Random%20Pics/IMAG0685.jpg

KKiowaTJ
10-23-2012, 10:00 AM
Thinks for listing them.

Dont worry about it too much, Remember it has been closed down so there will be alot of guy who dont know the trail system and the mx track is weak unless he built it up and made it so two bikes could even race side by side. Last time i rode there it was a one lane whoop section. The mx track would be the last of my worries for that land/race.

I might have to go out and see if i can hold up for that long in the 30+ or 26 C which ever has a bigger class. But i have a feeling alot of guys will under class themselves and flood the guys who are learning.

That and i might ride down and look at the land and see if they did any dirt work. I rode there a few times over summer and it was bad in spots or atleast the trails that had the good hills.

The 450 would be nice is you got tired and was relying on motor, But being the trails are tight the 400 will keep you at a better pace the whole time. Thoes "kids" with $8k quads wont be any threat as long as your not behind them. The trails are tight so be ready to punt some slow dumbass off the line.

Good luck and watch out for others who think the pin to win will work their, They will be done in a lap or two.

KKiowaTJ
10-23-2012, 10:21 AM
I thought you were talking about the old midwest honda farm outside of montrose, Few miles north of keokuk.

Its been 10+ since i touched kahoka track and it wasnt good lol.

Yeah memphis is a big pile of weeds. To bad to, That track was better than any in northern mo. Had sweet up and down hill jumps, just a nice fast track when groomed. Only down fall was pulling in, You drove right through the middle of the track.

shaggy01
10-23-2012, 08:34 PM
I did a couple GNCC races this year as well as some local hare scrambles and here are some things i figured out:

-Breathing is key. I found myself holding my breath my first race at times and that leads to low oxygen level in your blood and then that can lead to arm pump.

-Drink plenty of water!!! Before and defiantly during.

-Dont get intimidated. Every race i still struggle with this. Seeing the guys next to you in the line that have built-to-hill 450's can be intimidating. But its a woods race, motor is everything. I'm usually one of the few, if not the only 400 in my class and have been beating 450's consistently.

-and when all else fails, remember....."when in doubt, throttle out" :devil:

Have fun with it! Its an adrenaline rush that nothing else can come close to. Goodluck!

Stickman400
10-23-2012, 10:46 PM
I went out there a couple times back when I was in High School when my 400 was pretty close to stock except for my axle, Big Gun pipe, filter, bars and jet kit. It was a good layout but I think he got tired of people getting hurt on the jumps or something because it was completely leveled, there wasn't even a peak on any of the jumps, they were all rounded off, so it wasn't very fun. It was nice and wide and had a good layout, but no air= no fun. I got bored on the main track and found myself trying to clear 2 singles that were 50' apart on the pitbike track and ended up coming up short and fracturing my wrist, lol. Damn my addiction to adrenaline.:devil: