PDA

View Full Version : apex 100mxr

eagertorace
10-21-2012, 09:11 PM
hello, I just purchased an apex mini quad, know very little about these...the quad runs good and has some work done to it but you have to give it alot of gas to take off.

my question is how do I get it to take off sooner/quicker without full throttle?

any help or info would be great, thanks

now remember be very clear explaining something cause I'm a greenie on these mini quads, lol

10-21-2012, 09:42 PM
You need to install new clutch springs. Your probably running 2000 to 3000 rpm springs. You also need to adjust the variator rollers. This is all easy to do. Behind the cvt cover is where you need to start. The front pulley is the variator and the rear is the clutch. Variator has the rollers in it and the clutch has the shoe springs (3) and there is a big torch spring there also. You can get all these on Ebay or other sites and once you do it once it's easy.. Let me know when you need more help. Thanks-

Hetrick Racing
10-22-2012, 05:45 AM
If the quad runs great I honestly wouldnt change a thing.
The stall speed is high usually for a reason,whomever you got it from had done some work you said.
In most cases if the stock cylinder was ported the power curve moves up in engine speed,so you have to rev the engine more prior to applying the clutch.

Think of it like this,if you were on a 2 stroke dirt bike and you gave it some throttle to take off and the bike kind of bogged and barely moved,what would you do?Well most of the time pull the clutch in and rev it up.
At that point when you take off it will spin or whatever but be in its power.
The same goes for the cvt.
Only its is pre set to a certain rpm for clutch apply.
So with that said if you would like to try to lower the stall speed yes do as
echoracing said and get some springs and move it around,but there is a good chance you will be back where it is now or at least close to it.
Usually when someone has done some performance upgrades they have also tested a bit with stall and rollers,not all of the time but at least 80%.
So it may be a good way to learn about your quad,which you need to,we all do,lol
Just keep all of the parts you remove so you can go back to where you started if it doesnt perform as well after the changes.

10-22-2012, 10:29 AM
LOL Hmmmmmmm Ok!!!

So then here we go... The kid is riding and then comes to the shop and says dad,,,, My quad runs and rev's good but won't move like I think it should...

Well son, I got on this website and asked some Q's and this really big name Hetrick said no, ur s.o.l, We should keep it like that.... But dad i'm only 9 and ya i'm young, but I wasn't born yesterday..

I would think,, ya you have established something in the mini seen, but your boys now racing a 450 class. Time to move on? Or maybe stick to the basics and not post B.S? I'm no a-s-s and not starting a forum war or talking s-h-i-t, but come on!!! Sorry Hetrick if you take it wrong as you did on my last post, but that post was a joke, this site is for mini racers looking to make there kids really move safely and if I was him I would be wondering!!!!! I just re- red that post to make sure I wasn't saying B.S, but i'm scratchin my head..... Hm Thanks-

ontargetracing
10-22-2012, 10:56 AM
wow :eek2:

jake55
10-22-2012, 11:26 AM
"FAST DON'T LIE"!!!!
and niether do results!

just sayin!!!!!

10-22-2012, 11:37 AM
Word!!! I know they have built fast quads and have done well... Just sayin 00.2's--- Thanks

Hetrick Racing
10-22-2012, 12:27 PM
Sir apparently you did not read the post I did agree with you so whats that mean you are full of it too?
I was stating a simple fact he does not know a bunch about a mini so why have him buy a bunch of parts if the quad runs good.
Understanding why it runs good where its at before you change something makes more sense.

Eagertorace
I apologize,
I was trying to explain it to ya

10-22-2012, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the re-ply....

Hetrick Racing
10-22-2012, 12:45 PM
ANYTIME
As before I thank you for the type of post.

nastynotchback1
10-22-2012, 02:32 PM
First of all let me apologize to the guy who started this post.

Echoracing,You need to step back and settle down alittle.You have busted on this seen and went crazy posting smart comments to alot of people.You will not make any friends the way your going.Although i don't always agree with a vendor i don't won't to piss them off to the point that they quit giving help to the forum.I have had a small spat with hetrick and i was wrong to do so on a public forum.If you got a problem with info call them up on the phone and i am sure he will discuss it with you.One last thing,His boy has moved on to the pro ranks but Hetrick does not need to move away from mini's.He goes to bat for us with the atva and AMA and he can still build a fast quad.We need all the teams we can get and sponsors.

eagertorace
10-22-2012, 07:13 PM
lol wow.....I appreciate the first 2 posts. I've learned some things already about these mini's....I would like for the bike to take off sooner, it does have a malossi (sp) overange on it with stock variator.....hetrick pipe with carb to match.

I'll get into it more this week and see what what happens.

keep the good stuff coming and no *****in, lol

eagertorace
10-25-2012, 09:19 PM
come on guys.....tell me what ya know, lol

mike69
10-25-2012, 11:44 PM
Bring it to the race sunday and we will let you know if its running all right. Hetrick is right, most likely. These are Completely different than a honda. Give me a call if need be.

ontargetracing
10-26-2012, 10:50 AM
if you want it to take off at lower RPM's do like the guy said in the other post, change the springs in the clutch to a weaker spring or buy an adjustable clutch if you don’t already have one on your bike. Also if you want the power to be mellower put heavier roller weights in it and a softer torque spring. All of which will probably make you bike slower especially if it’s tuned right now but that might actually mean better lap times for your rider. It all depends on what they are comfortable on.

eagertorace
10-27-2012, 12:00 PM
It runs good Mike...just learning the cvt stuff thanks for all the help so far and yeah there're different from the Hondas lol