PDA

View Full Version : GT Thunder Poly Skid?

AtvKid4Eva
10-21-2012, 07:22 PM
Hey guys i've been trying to decide which Poly skid to get for my 450. I've been leaning towards the GT Thunder one since its 25 bucks. I know ill have to make mounts for it which wont be a big deal, but has anyone used one of these on a 450? I really like the old TAG ones but now they are made by Janssen and are crazy expensive. I cant imagine paying that much for a skid with this one being so cheap. Let me know what u guys know/think about the GT thunder one and any pics of it on a 450 would be great! Thanks!

CJM
10-21-2012, 08:27 PM
Call maier, tell them you need the mounting kit for the 450r. That way you got mounts.

AtvKid4Eva
10-21-2012, 08:53 PM
yeah, i read another thread about someone doing that. I will shoot them an email. What about the skid any reviews?

Stickman400
10-21-2012, 10:20 PM
I got a GT Thunder one on my 400, it's actually a 450 skid that I had to cut the extra off the front to get it to fit right. It's a pretty good piece, haven't had any problems with it yet. But my 450 on the other hand I got a Maier poly skid (because it was black, lol) and it bolted right up, the only problem was the oil drain holes on both skids. The GT skid didn't have any and the Maier had only 1 for the engine and it was very small. So I had to drill another hole for the tranny and enlarged both of them with a dremel. They are both great pieces and you can't go wrong with either. I can get pics of both if you want, lmk.

AtvKid4Eva
10-22-2012, 06:19 AM
stickman,

I remember seeing your post in the 400 section about the GT Thunder skid. And i looked at the Maier skids, but i just cant justify the extra money for one just because of the color lol. I really like the MXP skids, but they are $80 bucks. IDK what im gonna decide.

fomospede
10-22-2012, 06:49 AM
if you read about gtthunders gusset kit it has the mount integrated in it
although im running a tag
i plan to run the gt on my next build this winter
there other poly components are the staple IMO

i do not run there suspension though and will not!!!!

AtvKid4Eva
10-22-2012, 06:55 AM
yeah, i have seen their gusset kit has mounts for the skid. i just got done gusseting my frame and PCing it so no new welds! haha

Britboy
10-22-2012, 07:04 AM
got 2 poly Tag/AXP skid plates for sale if your intersested- waaayy cheaper than Janssen

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=494548

AtvKid4Eva
10-22-2012, 08:09 AM
i saw those britboy, but still a bit more than what i want to spend. Thanks tho!

AtvKid4Eva
10-22-2012, 08:18 AM
well, just ordered the GT Thunder skid. For $35 bucks shipped you cant beat it. Ill post an update once i get it mounted up. Thanks guys!

Stickman400
10-22-2012, 10:55 AM
Yea that's what I would've done. Then if you have a Line X or some kind of truck bedliner company around you just have them spray it with black bedliner so it matches and it has a tougher coating on it to make it even better. Unless you like the white then it will already match.

AtvKid4Eva
10-22-2012, 11:01 AM
thats a good idea! Also Maier is sending me a mounting kit. They have pretty good customer service.

Baileygunns
10-22-2012, 11:32 AM
The biggest advantage of having a poly skid is it slides over rocks.. Aluminum bites in and tends to get caught up easier. Putting bed liner on a poly skid would take away from the slide factor.. Kind of defeating the purpose of having poly. No?

AtvKid4Eva
10-22-2012, 11:44 AM
probably would, i have Linex in my truck bed and its pretty rough stuff. I think he was just saying thats really the only way to make it black that would hold up.

2001400exrida
10-22-2012, 01:57 PM
I wish i would have gone with the GTT poly.

I bought the Janssen for over 100 bucks and the thing is a piece. I mean it's holding up just fine, but the holes don't line up on my 05 for the oil change so i have to take it off everytime for the oil change. And the side flares on the Janssen will hit any nerf bar if you run them, so i ended up having to cut off those flares. I'm very dissapointed in the jannsen skid, terrible design and quality. LIke i said it's holding up, but what a chore it was just to get it on.

Stickman400
10-22-2012, 10:49 PM
Well I said that mainly because it would be black and hold up, but can't Line-X do a smooth version of it instead of being rough? That would help slide over stuff alittle better than the rough, but it would still bite alittle I guess.