PDA

View Full Version : Wont spin over

JesseLambert
10-21-2012, 04:58 PM
So the starter button has been working fine on the 2002 400ex that I just picked up. Now all of a sudden it wont do anything. I used a meter and traced the starter circuit. Have power through the key switch and then through the kill and start button. When the wire reaches the rear close to the solenoid it has a connector that I pulled apart and I am only getting 10 volts at that point. Is that not enough to pull in the starter? If I take the wire that I pulled apart and put it right to the positive on the battery it will spin right over and start. The battery shows 12 volts with the meter.

400exmxracer
10-21-2012, 05:51 PM
I don't know if this will work, but my buddy had the same problem on his a couple years ago and from then on he would have to push the starter button in hard in a certain spot and it would fire right up, try different ways of pushing it in. It sounds stupid but it might work?

on the rocks
10-21-2012, 07:37 PM
that wire your plying with is the coil wire for the solenoid . that wire should be connected to the B terminal of the solenoid (battery terminal ) that explains why your button is not working.

the low voltage when the battery have 12 volts is caused by poor connections, clean them up and make sure they are tight.

Zakradu398
10-22-2012, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by 400exmxracer
I don't know if this will work, but my buddy had the same problem on his a couple years ago and from then on he would have to push the starter button in hard in a certain spot and it would fire right up, try different ways of pushing it in. It sounds stupid but it might work?

I had to do this ^. What I did for a quick fix that day was take off the button part and just use the switch underneath and push on it

JesseLambert
10-22-2012, 11:32 AM
after some more looking around and tracing wires, I found that the wire to the neutral indicator light was broken off at the connector at the engine side case. Does this switch have to be made for the engine to spin?

Zakradu398
10-22-2012, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by JesseLambert
after some more looking around and tracing wires, I found that the wire to the neutral indicator light was broken off at the connector at the engine side case. Does this switch have to be made for the engine to spin?

That I am not sure of, but if it did make a difference then pulling the clutch in would make it work. I just wired the wires going to the clutch lever together so I can start in gear.

The switch though. I wired up a KX style kill switch (normally open) for my starter button and have my lights hooked to a toggle hidden. Cleans up the bars some

on the rocks
10-22-2012, 12:26 PM
no the neutral indicator light has nothing to do with it turning over. if you have the stock clutch perch make sure your pulling the clutch in.

JesseLambert
10-22-2012, 12:28 PM
Yes i have tested the clutch switch and it is working.