PDA

View Full Version : RAD Axle Carrier

Stickman400
10-20-2012, 10:17 PM
Okay I got my carrier Thursday and installed it today but my Durablue anti-fade hub got seized up and I had to heat it up and ruined the threads on it trying to get it off. So while I'm waiting on an LSR unit to get here I have a couple questions for those of you who have a RAD carrier. I noticed it has a grease zerk on the edge where you adjust the chain, but it also has 2 set screws plugging holes on the left edge right next to the sprocket and another on the inside edge of the housing (I can add pics to further explain). Are these there to put a grease zerk in and grease something? And if so where does the grease go? I also started putting grease in the zerk by the chain adjuster holes and it went straight to where the center tube would be, so should I install everything and then pack the whole carrier full of grease or just a few pumps? Sorry for such a ****ty explaination but that's the best I can do.

powerbomb400
10-20-2012, 10:37 PM
I've always thought it was to bleed the air when you fill it with grease.

Stickman400
10-20-2012, 11:50 PM
http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv192/Stickman400/Random%20Pics/RADCarrier.jpg

Okay here's a pic from RADs site. The one in black is the zerk that pumps grease into the center tube area. The two in red is the set screws that I'm wondering about.

Baileygunns
10-21-2012, 06:43 AM
Those are caps for the channel bore... You can't bore turns, just straight.. So what they do is bore a hole across from the outside, then bore a hole down from the top that intesects the first bore and then goes into the inside of the carrier.Then they cap the out sides so grease doesn't come out and gets forced to where it needs to go... Does that make sense?

In short... Leave the plugs alone.

drew416ex
10-21-2012, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Baileygunns
Those are caps for the channel bore... You can't bore turns, just straight.. So what they do is bore a hole across from the outside, then bore a hole down from the top that intesects the first bore and then goes into the inside of the carrier.Then they cap the out sides so grease doesn't come out and gets forced to where it needs to go... Does that make sense?

In short... Leave the plugs alone.

X2. And as far as your other question. After every thing is put together fill it up. Ride it around shortly or pic the rear up and let the tires roll and put a few more pumps in to make sure the bearings are full.

Stickman400
10-21-2012, 12:23 PM
Alright that makes perfect sense Bailey, I was wondering how they got that channel in there when it's machined billet aluminum. And thanks drew, I'll be sure to do that when I get it all back together. Thanks guys!