PDA

View Full Version : Velocity intake with k&n air filter

mad4106
10-19-2012, 12:25 AM
Would this be a nice Performance to my bike cause right now I have a UNi I just want more airflow?

jman7290
10-19-2012, 05:22 AM
Stick with the Uni, the foam filters pertect your engine much better in the dirt than the paper filters. I learned that the hard way.

DragonGunner
10-19-2012, 06:08 AM
Same old debate UNI vs K&N.....lol. You will find many opinions here on this...I have zillion hours on two 400EX's since 1999 using K&N, with a outerwear filter, manintain them, clean an oil them when needed, last forever an no issues. Raced an rode them through sand, water, mud, dust......

Resq
10-19-2012, 08:06 AM
clean and oil which ever you use, thats the key.

Guy b4 me didnt oil his filter. Intake tube was full of fine dust... Cylinder proved it also.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii258/Resqu/400%20rebuild/100_5098.jpg

on the rocks
10-19-2012, 10:25 AM
both times when purchasing a 400ex they had k and N's the one i have now and the one i sold both have uni's in them. the finer foam does alot better filtering in my opinion.

all mechanics in the atv/ dirt bike work wold i know hate k and n for off road use.

its a great filter for the street where the conditions aren't terrible like what a 4 wheeler faces on a common ride.

JOHNDOE83
10-21-2012, 04:35 PM
You can make your own velocity intake for a fraction of the price it is to buy one, you can even do it for free with your stock airbox setup.

The rubber intake tube simply presses into the plastic airbox, remove the plastic airbox and put a ziptie on the plastic snorkel to the frame for support and you instantly have a velocity intake.

You could make one from some 2in metal tubing and a 2in rubber grommet from lowes or home depot, then buy a filter that fits the 2in tube.

But the stock airbox mod is the same thing, free and easy to do.