PDA

View Full Version : With friends like this...

OldGuyonaQuad
10-18-2012, 05:06 PM
My brother had a buddy who bought a quad right after we did (2.5 yrs ago)and we did most all of our riding together until he hurt his back (dumped it @ the starting line drag racing my brother) and he stopped riding. After my quad was stolen he offered to let me use his machine but my brother and I had reservations and I declined.

The guy was worried his father would sell the quad on him as he had already sold some of his RC and Hot Wheels collections. So my brother takes it to his place of business where he also kept a couple of his motor cycles and sure enough a month or so goes by and it gets stolen. Obvious inside job but they can't prove it and we find out he stopped paying his insurance. That blows for him with 5k on his Honda credit card.

Anyway he stops returning my brothers calls and we assume he thinks my brother has something to do with the disappearance of his quad.

So I guess a month or so later I bought a quad to replace the one that was stolen from me. Despite my best efforts to find a 2008 400ex in red & Black I settled for the B & W. The same colors and year as my brothers friend (you can see where this is going).

That was almost a year ago, I get a call yesterday from a detective who wants me to come down to the police station but won't tell me why. After we hang up it dawns on me why he called. I called back and invited them to check my garage out. They came and took pictures today and took the VIN # and it should be over but I'm pissed.

They had us under surveillance and photos of us packing up for Trevorton a couple of weeks ago. I can't believe that POS thinks I am stupid thief.

This is the guy who was going to let my use his quad so I could ride, he fixed my quad before my WV trip last year with a part off his quad, I paid his way on a couple of quad trips to help out and we're going to steal his quad then ride it?

I should probably cut and paste 1/2 this rant and send it to him ;).

what a total pos

CJM
10-18-2012, 06:42 PM
That sucks Tom. I cant get over how big a jerk some people can be.

The above situation is exactly why I really only have 2 good friends left. BS happens and they show their true colors.

rcer450r
10-19-2012, 06:55 AM
Obviously he wasn't a real friend... Friends don't call friends thief's

fastredrider44
10-19-2012, 08:20 AM
Maybe it was just the officers doing their job?

Baracudaaa
10-19-2012, 08:38 AM
Look at it from his side though.
All stories have 2 sides, and if I was him and was told that my ATV was stolen, and all of a sudden, the brother of the guy who 'claimed' it was stolen just happened to start riding an identical bike, I would think something fishy was going on.
I bet the guy was just being paranoid, thought you (a friend no less!!!!) had taken his ride and was pissed.
I would just go talk to the guy and let him know that it does look strange, but show him the paperwork that it is, in fact, a completely different ATV that his stolen one.
If I was in this guys shoes, I would have done the same thing. I bet there have already been threads on this site that go something like this-- "I was storing my ATV at a good friends house because I was going through some family issues, and the guy claimed my ATV was stolen, that sucks. Then a year later, his brother just 'happened' to somehow start riding an ATV identical to my stolen one!!!! What kind of friend is he to do that to me??? So, I called the cops to bust his *** and get my ATV back".

blacknblue#2
10-19-2012, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Baracudaaa
Look at it from his side though.
All stories have 2 sides, and if I was him and was told that my ATV was stolen, and all of a sudden, the brother of the guy who 'claimed' it was stolen just happened to start riding an identical bike, I would think something fishy was going on.
I bet the guy was just being paranoid, thought you (a friend no less!!!!) had taken his ride and was pissed.
I would just go talk to the guy and let him know that it does look strange, but show him the paperwork that it is, in fact, a completely different ATV that his stolen one.
If I was in this guys shoes, I would have done the same thing. I bet there have already been threads on this site that go something like this-- "I was storing my ATV at a good friends house because I was going through some family issues, and the guy claimed my ATV was stolen, that sucks. Then a year later, his brother just 'happened' to somehow start riding an ATV identical to my stolen one!!!! What kind of friend is he to do that to me??? So, I called the cops to bust his *** and get my ATV back".

i completely agree with this guy. But i have to ask just for curiosity...Was his quad the ONLY thing stolen when the robbery happened?? and if it was a place of business woudlnt it have some kind of contents insurance??

OldGuyonaQuad
10-20-2012, 06:59 AM
I never made one remark about the cops, the detectives we both very nice gentlemen, and while they were just doing their jobs I do resent being accused, investigated and more importantly put under survelliance. Big waste of time and money that could have been avoided.

Baracuddaaa I get what you are saying about the paranoia, when my quad was stolen I was 99% sure who took it but I still had to consider a close friend that was going through some tough times, acted suspicious after it happened and knew I was out of town but I never once accused him or gave his name to the police. BTW the quad was not identical it was the same year model and color, his was a showroom left over for two years mine was ridden hard for two years. All he had to do was stop by my house, pick up the phone or ask anyone in our group that he still speaks to and they would have confirmred there is no way this machine could have been his. I guess only someone who is capable of thinking of doing something like this would think someone would do something like this. I don't steal, espeically from a friend who was down on his luck then be stupid enough to ride the damn thing but there are ton of people out there not made of the same moral fabric or intelligence level.

Blacknblue#2 yes this was the only thing stolen even though there was a quad down stairs in the wide open (no where near as cherry and it didnt run). The ramp to the upstairs is well concealed and they didnt touch any of my brothers 5 Harleys that were up there. I'm not sure what the deal was with my brothers employers insurance, I foget if it wasn't something that would be covered or the owners refusal to turn it in. If my home owners wouldnt cover mine getting stolen I don't see how this would be coverd either. My understanding is it has to be proven to be used at your home for productive use to be covered by insurance they dont cover recreational vehicles unless you have a rider clause added to your policy.

Racer450 and Marc, you are spot on the terms "friend" & "neighbor" have diminished in their descriptions andvalue over the past couple of decades.

CJM
10-20-2012, 04:45 PM
Tom, did you ever consider it was him all along who did it? Why else would he stop paying his insurance too? Doesnt add up..

Zakradu398
10-21-2012, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by CJM
Tom, did you ever consider it was him all along who did it? Why else would he stop paying his insurance too? Doesnt add up..

My thoughts exactly.

cloudpump
10-21-2012, 10:04 PM
question is, what did he have to say after this all went down with the cops

OldGuyonaQuad
10-23-2012, 07:34 PM
Yea I'd like to know what he has to say too but I'm not calling him.

Marc the only way he could have been in on it is for my brother to have been an accomplice and the insurance actually up to date. I know my brother wouldn't do something like that at this point in his life and if so I wouldn't have been investigated.

It could have been one of a couple coworkers there.

CJM
10-23-2012, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by OldGuyonaQuad

It could have been one of a couple coworkers there.

This Tom. Least thats my thoughts, guy seems kinda sketchy in the end.

OldGuyonaQuad
10-24-2012, 04:50 AM
Originally posted by CJM
This Tom. Least thats my thoughts, guy seems kinda sketchy in the end.

yea well that's the reason my brother didn't want me to keep it at my house. In hind site he shouldn't have gotten involved either.