PDA

View Full Version : Fuel filter or not?

bloodswet&gears
10-18-2012, 05:03 PM
While we are doing surveys on which 2 stroke oil, I would like opinions on who uses a fuel filter and who don't? And why not if you don't.

If you do use a fuel filter which one and why?

We are not using a filter right now and trash sometimes gets lodged in the float needle. No big deal but when I think about installing a filter something tells me DONT DO IT. I dont know why. Maybe Im scared it will not flow fast enough or clog and go lean. None of our quads have filters in the tank, but my TRX250R has one on the inside the tank. Maybe someone should make a kit for apex and drr tanks.

thequadfather+2
10-18-2012, 05:23 PM
We have run them for years, no flow restrictions....or at least I know it flows faster than the carb can drink it...all the way up to a 32 carb:devil:

bloodswet&gears
10-18-2012, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by thequadfather+2
We have run them for years, no flow restrictions....or at least I know it flows faster than the carb can drink it...all the way up to a 32 carb:devil:

Which one should I use? Brass? Paper?

thequadfather+2
10-18-2012, 07:00 PM
We use paper. The same type max RPM and some of the other vendors sale. You can also get that same type at places like Advance Auto Parts or car quest, ect..

#404's Dad
10-18-2012, 07:42 PM
We have always ran them, any inline filter will work as long as it fits the lines I guess, I get ours at a lawn mower shop.

selbygirl
10-19-2012, 12:26 PM
we use the inline filter and the inline cut off valve that you use on lawn mowers. we had probles with the stock cut of valves . you can get them at parts plus or auto zone for a couple of bucks

10-19-2012, 01:26 PM
My boys built 90 pushing 14.5hp, runs better with out one there for more fuel flow. On our race can I have inlet and outlet filter's and ya we get a little junk in once in a while, but I always clean the carb after 4 motos. Runs insane and never skip a beat!!!!

Logan #34's Dad
10-19-2012, 08:05 PM
I have always ran them and have had zero issues. I know for a fact that they do catch stuff because I can see it.
The one I use I got from Hetrick's. It's about as round as a quarter and semi-clear with a paper filter. 1/4 inch line openings with 1/4 fuel line.

mmsoup
10-19-2012, 09:06 PM
Can't imagine running without them. We are running in the dirt.......
Course we run the woods and sometimes have to pit in poor conditions

We always used the Rocky Mountain ATV inline filters and an inline cut-off

Big Carbs, intakes, and nasty Italian cylinders + regularly maintained filters = no problems

bloodswet&gears
10-21-2012, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by mmsoup

Big Carbs, intakes, and nasty Italian cylinders + regularly maintained filters = no problems
Wish that was true. lol.

Thanks for the replys. I bought a clear paper one from a lawnmower shop to try. With it being clear, you can see how fuel flows good through it.

What problems are caused by the factory fuel cut-off besides leaking? Is anyone still using them or everybody going to aftermarket inline type?

redonkulousruntsracing
10-24-2012, 07:35 AM
If you have a thirsty engine, I suggest you lose the stock fuel shut off and lines. Block off the upper fuel out let and use the lower RES. out let on your tank. Run new 1/4" lines from your tank, to a 1/4" Motion Pro universal fuel shut off (or one similar) to a 1/4" filter then to your carb. The stock fuel shutoff resricts flow. I used to get a top end bog after 800ft WOT, replaced the fuel shut off, and no more bog.

bloodswet&gears
10-24-2012, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by redonkulousruntsracing
If you have a thirsty engine, I suggest you lose the stock fuel shut off and lines. Block off the upper fuel out let and use the lower RES. out let on your tank. Run new 1/4" lines from your tank, to a 1/4" Motion Pro universal fuel shut off (or one similar) to a 1/4" filter then to your carb. The stock fuel shutoff resricts flow. I used to get a top end bog after 800ft WOT, replaced the fuel shut off, and no more bog.
THANK YOU. That is exactly what I needed right there. Planned on doing this but I see others still using that factory fuel valve. Use Pingel valves on my big quads. Redonkulousrunts, excelent reply. I tried moving the float up and a smaller carb and still the same issue as you stated top end after a long run. Bout decided the was no cure and it was a CVT common issue.

redonkulousruntsracing
10-24-2012, 08:04 AM
I had the same problem last year with our CGR built 50 and a 21mm carb. Now with the RT and a 30mm carb, it happened a lot more often. Swapped the fuel delivery setup over and, Voila, problem solved!

#404's Dad
10-24-2012, 08:55 AM
I have always ran the stock Shut Off and Lines and even the Filter when new then replaced with new filter during regular maintenance. NEVER once had a Fuel Delivery issue in 6 years of racing due to those parts and we always have top performing best of the best setups.

edwardsp&b
10-24-2012, 09:04 AM
I never had a problem, but a few years ago I switched to just the inline filter and plugged off top titty on tank.

I will say this though. I use a "hotter" carb cleaner called carb medic. I noticed on the stage 6 carbs that are powdercoated black that it eats the black coating off and it always ends up in the float needle. Ive had this problem numerous times until I just took carb off and removed all the coating. No problems since.

Ive also noticed our fuel filters catch plastic shavings off of the top of the tank. I think the aftermarket tank caps eat at the plastic over time and it gets in the tank.

Bryan

redonkulousruntsracing
10-24-2012, 09:18 AM
There it is, I was waiting for Mr. 404 to chime in, he never has a problem and were all crazy cuz some of us do. We must not know how to maintain our equipment. That's great that this hasn't happened to him, and we prolly don't care if you have " top performing, best of the best setups" If I can post something that might help, then I will. Someone saying " I never had that a fuel delivery problem, or my Malossi variator plate has never broke" then implying that is because he a better job maintaining his equipment then the rest of us problem having fools. Whatever... we must be idiots!

#404's Dad
10-24-2012, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by redonkulousruntsracing
There it is, I was waiting for Mr. 404 to chime in, he never has a problem and were all crazy cuz some of us do. We must not know how to maintain our equipment. That's great that this hasn't happened to him, and we prolly don't care if you have " top performing, best of the best setups" If I can post something that might help, then I will. Someone saying " I never had that a fuel delivery problem, or my Malossi variator plate has never broke" then implying that is because he a better job maintaining his equipment then the rest of us problem having fools. Whatever... we must be idiots!

First of all I have not called or implied that anyone is an idiot, if you feel that I have towards you then that's a personal issue you have not me, My reply was to inform people that the stock parts you guys are referring to are fine to use. Even on top notch professionally built national winning quads they are fine.

I've had no issues with those parts or the Malossi back plates, if you do that's your issue, maybe I'm luckier than you or maybe I am just better at maintaining my equipment than you, still not my problem.

This season we raced 10 rounds of Nationals, 2 Classes and had only 2 DNFs (One Spark Plug and One Hose Clamp) out of 40 Motos, not bad, I can count 6 Years worth of DNFs one hand so yeah maybe I am pretty decent at maintaining these things I dunno, is that something I should not be proud of?

I Top End my R/T every round as well, you thought that was funny and insinuated I was an idiot then too, Well guess what it works, I have a Dyno and I have a very smart Rider that gives me excellent feedback.

My Son has 3 National Titles and somewhere in the teens on Local and State Championships, I also have several National and State/Local Championships with other riders so yeah I may just know a little bit about quads. Is there more than one way to skin a cat, you bet your a-ss there is, there always is but don't call me an idiot because my way works for me and not you.

What are your accomplishments???

Now, are you not the same guy that last year or so you could not figure out why you kept blowing up your kids quad? same guy that couldn't afford to fix it as well? same guy that Myself and Ward both offered to help get going? Scott offered to Pay for it and I offered to send you parts free of charge to get you by? This is why people these days don't help out as much as they could because its unappreciated by people like you, no respect.

Also, this deal with you not being able to figure out your kid's quad wasn't too long ago, nor was your confusion on slippers clutches being good BUT you now have some Mini Quad Shop and come off as you know everything???

Next time I see you post something like you did with the Malossi Plates Breaking I'll just cruise on by because me stating I've never broken one on any quad I've built and that there has to be a reason why they are breaking and trying to pin point the issue TO HELP, is insulting to you.

I am nobody and I am not trying to prove that I am anybody because believe me I'm not, I put my pants on one leg at a time just like anyone else just trying to help out here and there when I can.

selbygirl
10-24-2012, 10:39 AM
we had problems with our frist drr fresh off the truck . that was like 6 years ago .. it was to much fuel line travel did away with the stock shut off and put a in line shutoff that you use on a lawn tractor

edwardsp&b
10-24-2012, 10:50 AM
Dang man....Why the outburst? I didnt chime in on the variator plate breaking thread, but Ive never had one break before either. And I know Im not a top notch mechanic.

Most of the top notch CVT riders have dads (like Corey) that are anal about every inch of their race quads. May be the reason they are always out front....I think what Corey is trying to say is that the more time you spend maintaining your CVT the less problems you will have.

Sometimes all these pissin contests on here deter people from the forum and our sport.....Why not keep *****ing on a PM level?
Bryan

#404's Dad
10-24-2012, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by edwardsp&b

Sometimes all these pissin contests on here deter people from the forum and our sport.....Why not keep *****ing on a PM level?
Bryan

I agree Bryan which is why I walked away from the rest of his Threads once he started getting all pissy but this time he called me out so.......

thequadfather+2
10-24-2012, 11:30 AM
Corey-sometimes i put both legs in my pants at the same time. I do that when I want to be better than everyone else.

One things for sure, I only saw your machine get towed off once and I made sure I got it on video. I was happy if we only got towed off one time during the weekend

bloodswet&gears
10-24-2012, 11:46 AM
Here we go! LOL. Hensons turn. What say you Brady? Ha HA HA. Mr. Awesome, I got the pic of your tattoo. It wont let me upload it though.

bloodswet&gears
10-24-2012, 11:49 AM
WELL. Yes it did.Brady, Is this the one you got at Wal-Mart in Anniston?

thequadfather+2
10-24-2012, 12:24 PM
NEXT!!! Who wants Some of this!? It's a free-for-all

bloodswet&gears
10-24-2012, 12:34 PM
Does anybody know when Mule Day is? Henson is racin donkeys that week I think.

hensonfamfun
10-24-2012, 12:37 PM
I don't use a filter.......slows down the nitrous!

#404's Dad
10-24-2012, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by thequadfather+2
Corey-sometimes i put both legs in my pants at the same time. I do that when I want to be better than everyone else.

One things for sure, I only saw your machine get towed off once and I made sure I got it on video. I was happy if we only got towed off one time during the weekend

LOL too funny Bruce.

Yeah I wish you wouldn't have gotten that on video, I feel like chit every time I see it, that was totally my screw up that cost him a podium and a bunch of points, luckily he pulled the season off by one point rather than lost it by one or he would have prolly put a hit out on me lol

Originally posted by bloodswet&gears
Does anybody know when Mule Day is? Henson is racin donkeys that week I think.

Dang I thought that was a joke but Mule Day is real lol but over for this year so if he is still there its pretty safe to say he got lost and you may never see him again :/ .

http://www.muleday.com/

bloodswet&gears
10-24-2012, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by hensonfamfun
I don't use a filter.......slows down the nitrous!

Im glad you brought the nitrous thing up. I tried what you said about using our frame tubing as the container for our nitrous and it seems to leak out somewhere between the gate and turn 1. Are you using a liner of some sort? And why are you running the nitrous line through the fuel line anyways? You could use a filter with a hole drilled through it so no one would know.

bloodswet&gears
10-24-2012, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by #404's Dad

Dang I thought that was a joke but Mule Day is real lol but over for this year so if he is still there its pretty safe to say he got lost and you may never see him again :/ .

http://www.muleday.com/

Well his donkey got him close enough to town to atleast post something. Depending on how long his ride is back will determine what else his brain is churning up.LOL.

thequadfather+2
10-24-2012, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by bloodswet&gears
Here we go! LOL. Hensons turn. What say you Brady? Ha HA HA. Mr. Awesome, I got the pic of your tattoo. It wont let me upload it though.

Hey Troy, you take that picture??:eek2:

bloodswet&gears
10-24-2012, 04:41 PM
Naw, Henson sent me an email a couple weeks ago braggin bout his new tat. There was another guy in the photo with some halloween panties on his head but I couldn't see his face.

Maybe Hale took that pic.. Looks like he may have even did the tattoo! LOL.

thequadfather+2
10-24-2012, 07:24 PM
Lmao, now that's funny.....awsom tattu.

10-25-2012, 02:09 PM
We always use a filter here at Snyder Motorsports, we have seen people that don't run them and later regret that decision. It doesn't starve the motor at all meaning no restrictions. I would recommend running one.