PDA

View Full Version : Bad carrier bearing?

Kyle T.
10-16-2012, 06:07 PM
I recently noticed some play on the rear carrier. It seems to be mostly on the right side. Theres only up and down play, no side to side or in and out.

Im thinking one or both of the carrier bearings are going bad and this could possibly be why my pads are so worn.

Heres a video to show the play, you can see its all up and down, not much at all for side to side or in and out. http://youtu.be/4MPEf9dNOaY?hd=1

So now what? Replace the bearings in the stock carrier or get one of the billet carriers? I do mostly trail riding with a little track here and there.

CJM
10-16-2012, 06:13 PM
New billet carrier is about $100. Bearings and seal kit is about $50. For the aggravation and time spent pulling the bearings-buy a new carrier with the bearings in it.

Kyle T.
10-16-2012, 06:17 PM
Yea thats what Im thinking. So most likely I have one or both bearing that are bad?

And I thought youre supposed to replace the spacer in the middle also when doing the bearings which is like $60 itself.

CJM
10-16-2012, 06:19 PM
Dont have to replace the spacer, its nothing more than a piece of pipe. So unless its beat to hell why bother?

Kyle T.
10-16-2012, 06:36 PM
Are these east coast atv carriers any good? http://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-NEW-REAR-AXLE-BEARING-CARRIER-HONDA-TRX400EX-400EX-400-ex-/360493110030?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53ef10530e&vxp=mtr

Theyre double row right? Are they alot better than just replacing the stock bearings?

CJM
10-16-2012, 07:23 PM
Thats the one I was talking about thats $100.

They are fine for what you pay. Friend of mine just got one and couldnt be happier. Worst case, bearings toast again-then you replace them as that style of carrier is much stronger.

Thumpin440ex
10-16-2012, 07:33 PM
I was in the same boat a few days ago, just due to me breaking my C clip ring/groove on my stocker. I went with a billet one(DB), that was dual row. The stocker was still tight after 12 years, so hopefully I can get that out of this dual row. Before I picked mine up I talked to a few people, they advised me not to get the east coast atv one, something about the bearings bearing junk. I was told a seller on ebay by the name of XCBOB sells them with the all balls bearings in them for ruffly the same price. Just fig I would toss this out. I am sure alot of guys are using the unit from ECATV with great results. I am just going from what I have heard from some local builders.

John

CJM
10-16-2012, 07:38 PM
Hmm, interesting info John.

FWIW the dual row bearings are GM air conditioner compressor bearings.

Kyle, if you can find a bearing supply near you they probably have the bearings in stock and the seals too. Its pulling the bearings that SUCK.

Thumpin440ex
10-16-2012, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by CJM

I remember seeing that is what they were some where. I was going to pull my stock ones, whip me digital calipers out and get some measurements, then check in the book to see for my self.

Side note i do not now how true it is but I heard it from more then 1 person. Not trying to bash ecatv, but I have had great success with all balls bearings in the past.

John

Kyle T.
10-16-2012, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Thumpin440ex
I was in the same boat a few days ago, just due to me breaking my C clip ring/groove on my stocker. I went with a billet one(DB), that was dual row. The stocker was still tight after 12 years, so hopefully I can get that out of this dual row. Before I picked mine up I talked to a few people, they advised me not to get the east coast atv one, something about the bearings bearing junk. I was told a seller on ebay by the name of XCBOB sells them with the all balls bearings in them for ruffly the same price. Just fig I would toss this out. I am sure alot of guys are using the unit from ECATV with great results. I am just going from what I have heard from some local builders.

John

Thanks for the heads up :)

Originally posted by CJM

Kyle, if you can find a bearing supply near you they probably have the bearings in stock and the seals too. Its pulling the bearings that SUCK.

Yea I think I might just rebuild the stocker, my dad said, he can get super high quality bearings locally and then if they dont have the seals I would just have to order them from the dealer. And that should be all I need, right?

Whats the best way to go about getting the bearings out?

CJM
10-16-2012, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Kyle T.

Whats the best way to go about getting the bearings out?

Thats the hard part lol. You need to rent or buy a bearing puller. I think your local autoparts store such as autozone might have one. Or buy the tool from rocky mtn atv.

The last time I cut the bearing in mine but its a double row and it didnt work all to well. I actually epoxied some groves I made and the bearings didnt go in all too easy. Friend cut his stock carrier bearings out and replaced-his went in easier but they were toast after like 1 season.

Mine on the other hand despite being a pain is ok.

Kyle T.
10-16-2012, 07:59 PM
Haha well Id like to get atleast one of the bearings out in one piece so I can get the right size at the bearing place

CJM
10-16-2012, 08:26 PM
All ya need is the part number off it.

Ba9801
10-17-2012, 07:00 PM
I used a long punch and hammer to knock out my stock bearings. It was a little tricky catching an edge of the bearing at first but once I got the bearing starting to move I just kept moving the punch around the bearing so it would come out evenly. Then just slide out the inner spacer and you will have no problem knocking the second bearing out. It only took me like 20 minutes to remove and install the bearings from the carrier. Not including removing the axle etc...

Kyle T.
10-17-2012, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Ba9801
I used a long punch and hammer to knock out my stock bearings. It was a little tricky catching an edge of the bearing at first but once I got the bearing starting to move I just kept moving the punch around the bearing so it would come out evenly. Then just slide out the inner spacer and you will have no problem knocking the second bearing out. It only took me like 20 minutes to remove and install the bearings from the carrier. Not including removing the axle etc...

Cool, thanks for the tip :)

jgar
10-17-2012, 09:05 PM
I use a wood handle from a hammer for a punch. The wood wont damage the carrier so you dont even have to be careful. It takes 5 min.

powerbomb400
10-18-2012, 02:50 PM
You can put the stock carrier in the oven at 275° for 10 or 15 minutes and the aluminum will expand and they will come out easier. When you reinstall the new bearings put them in the freezer overnight and heat the carrier slightly

and they will drop in.

powerbomb400
10-18-2012, 02:59 PM
I agree with CJM about getting them from a industrial bearing supply. There are only a handful of bearing manufacturers. KML,SKS,Koyo. Timken was bought out by Koyo if I'm not mistaken. Seems to me the bearings are a better quality. I put a set of Koyo bearing in my wifes 250ex and the axle is wearing out faster than the bearings.

Kyle T.
11-06-2012, 07:42 PM
Been busy lately but got some time to take it apart tonight. Everything was packed with dirt pretty good. Bearings are totally shot. The one on the brake side basically fell apart when I pulled the carrier out. The other one is still intact but spins horribly. Still have to press them both out. The inside of the carrier is a little worn out from the spacer bouncing around in there, but Im thinking it still should be ok.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f206/optionboarder81/p_00776.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f206/optionboarder81/p_00779.jpg

quadmanw
11-06-2012, 08:08 PM
Well when I used to rebuild the stocker I used to stick a rag in the bottom, stand it up, and fill it with PB Blaster. Id keep spraying and soaking them for at least a day or two before trying to get the bearings out. All depends how bad they are

quadmanw
11-06-2012, 08:10 PM
Opps, sorry didn't read the whole thing! Lol