PDA

View Full Version : can i reuse this cylinder head?

steve181
10-16-2012, 03:00 PM
valve went through piston..can it be reused? sorry cylinder head wasnt cleaned

also is my cam messed up?

http://i48.tinypic.com/fc8ql5.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/2643pzp.jpg

on the rocks
10-16-2012, 03:14 PM
wow. was there even a head gasket in there? lol

the head can be used if it all check out. make sure the deck is not warped. check the valve guide to see if the valve gauged the side of it when the piston hit it. other things to check would be the rocker assembly.
the cam does not look to be damaged. precision machining is beyond the eye. might want to measure it on the lobes to check it out.

01boneless
10-16-2012, 04:57 PM
I wouldent...

CJM
10-16-2012, 06:15 PM
I dont think i would either, it doesnt look like its a good idea.

If your interested I have a stock clean head laying around btw.

dxcody
10-16-2012, 07:19 PM
Clean it all up then decide..

It will be much easier to tell.

Don't count it out yet, just clean it all up then post another picture..

CJM
10-16-2012, 07:21 PM
I dont like how the one exhaust valve is sticking out. bent guide, bent valve? Maybe it doesnt have a spring on it atm too I spose.

Personally-it were me Id send it to the trash pile. Wouldnt want to put it all back together only for that to be the weak point.

Thumpin440ex
10-16-2012, 07:38 PM
Hard to tell, but def looks like the chamber was chewed up. It needs to be cleaned up, so we can see better. Take it to a machine shop, have the seats done, have it milled/decked for a clean up if the chamber isn't to bad.

John

ds268
10-17-2012, 11:07 AM
Wow that's a mess! I wouldn't even chance refurbishing that head to use a again. It will need new guides, seats which requires a valve job. New valves +++ You're much better off buying a good used head. It also appears that head gasket was blown in at least two places as there is burnt passages to the right front and left rear studs.

So to answer your question, no it shouldn't be reused. Cam looks ok.

400exshop
10-17-2012, 12:07 PM
From the looks of it, to me you can reuse it. But if you dont let me know, I may buy it from you for the right price.