PDA

View Full Version : paddles

Donjuan400ex
10-15-2012, 09:52 AM
Just curious looking at picking up some new paddles. my quad is setup to stunt on the street and riding on two wheels is my thing along with jumping and getting a good hole shot. saw comments about haulers and skat tracks... suggestions?? i have a 400ex with douglas wheels blue lable and sand geckos on it now... hate them and cant pull wheelies at speed

ish416
10-15-2012, 11:25 AM
I ran Skat-Trak 8 paddle Haulers and also Skat-Trak 8 paddle Edges.

I had no issues pulling the front end up in 5th at speed on either tire.

I prefer the Edges overall btw. They turn better and I think jump better. The haulers are definitely better for acceleration and hill shooting.

Donjuan400ex
10-15-2012, 03:52 PM
thanks for the ideas! havent heard of the edges have to check them out! what sizes would work best for me?

dunatic
10-15-2012, 04:26 PM
if you want to corner with the best of them and dont care about top end speed, youll want to run a 20-10-10 (8 paddle hauler extreme). Id run them on a 10x10 rim

if you want maximum acceleration and top end speed, you need the tire to float. youll want to run a 22-11-8 (8 paddle hauler extreme). id run them on 8x8 or 8x7 rim

if you want something in between go with a 21-12-10 (8 paddle hauler) 10x9 rim

standard carcass is going to be the cheapest, "bead to bead" buff are lighter and "triple buff" (SLS = super lights) are going to be the most expensive and the lightest tire of them all.

duneslider
10-22-2012, 08:47 AM
You will probably want to drop a tooth on the front sprocket too. Those nicer paddles really hook up, I have some cheap sand devils and they don't hook up great and I am fine with my regular gearing. With the nicer paddles I have to drop a tooth on the front to take advantage.

dunatic
10-23-2012, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by duneslider
You will probably want to drop a tooth on the front sprocket too. Those nicer paddles really hook up, I have some cheap sand devils and they don't hook up great and I am fine with my regular gearing. With the nicer paddles I have to drop a tooth on the front to take advantage.

depending on the type of sand you ride.

If your riding glamis/St. Anthony/sand mtn (desert sand), running less paddle count (6 or 7 paddle) is desirable. If your running river or beach sand (8 paddle).

3:1 ratio works well for any of the tires I mentioned.

13-39
14-42
15-45

I prefer larger sprockets (with larger diameter tires) as you have more links engage with the chain at any time. Sprockets and chain last longer and less stress on tranny.

duneslider
10-23-2012, 12:47 PM
I have thought about trying a 6-7 paddle hauler on the 400ex, I think that would be a great paddle for the lower hp. My banshee liked 8-10 paddles.

I tried a set of sand stars this last weekend and actually liked them quite a bit, not skat-traks but not too bad.

CJM
10-23-2012, 02:28 PM
I dont like the straight paddles, kinda hard to turn on a lower powered machine like a 400.

Have sand stars and love them, except I dont run them cause no one else behind me likes them. Panzys..

Stickman400
10-23-2012, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by CJM
I dont like the straight paddles, kinda hard to turn on a lower powered machine like a 400.

Have sand stars and love them, except I dont run them cause no one else behind me likes them. Panzys.. Lol, try riding behind your friend who has Sand Stars on a 450R on a gravel road and then said friend decides to drag race my other friend he's riding beside. Let's just say I had to run off the road into the ditch and jump of the quad and hide behind it. All you heard was "ting, ting, ping, ting, ping, ping" (gravel ricocheting off the frame) I thought he ruined my freshly PC'd frame, but he didn't, *******.