PDA

View Full Version : Anyone racing Ironman?

Zeb400EX
10-13-2012, 12:10 PM
I been thinking of racing the ironman gncc race next sat. Was wonder if anyone else was going to? I'll be racing in the am race probably be in 24+c class. This will be my first XC race ever. I been to this race to watch a few times so I feel like I know it better than I will other races. My goal is to finish. I worried about me holding up for 2+hrs. LOL. It'll should be fun tho.

dxcody
10-13-2012, 02:38 PM
I will be racing first year!

Also my first race ever!

Hopefully the quad holds up, and like you said, hopefully I hold up for 2+ hours!

We rode today for about 4 hours (not consistently) but man was I pooped when I really tried to go fast! lol

I'm in the same boat you are! My goal is to finish... I could care less who beats me!

DragonGunner
10-13-2012, 03:54 PM
I started racing MX Quad around 2001, few yrs later they started Grand Prix which were 45 min. cross country an MX track....they will wear you out. Then got to do some harescrambles, the longest was 28 miles at 1 hr. 20 min an came in 4th out of about 20 plus. They are long an each time I raced I wondered half way through why I was paying money to kill myself....LOL. Back in 2006 I raced the Ironman in the pm race in the 40 class...got about 1 mile an had a ball joint break, didn't hit anything except some big ruts, ball joint was probably going bad before that....have only gone to watch after that. Ironman is going to be about 50 miles, each lap about 10 miles.....The same yr I raced a very good A rider raced, he finished around 64th overall out of about 400....but all the woman riders beat him!!!! To get good you have to have endurance, an each yr a rider races the track it gets memorized a little better...go to you tube an type in 2011 GNCC Ironman Part 1.....some guy with a hero camera recorded the race while racing...there are 3 parts an cover about 40 min lap....a must see, careful on the hills, my knees knock every yr. an seen some BAD WRECKS, last yr. they wouldn't let the am class try......rats, but there are some steep ones, if you don't have skills look for the longer an easier way up...trust me. At the start keep your emotions in check an concentrate.....its a long race, lots of times I would hold back an be last, let the other guys kill an wreck each other, memorize the first lap an then pick up the pace an finish strong. You will probably have to pit once for more fuel so keep that in mind an know where you are going to get off the track to get more an your truck. I doubt I will race this yr, but almost always there to watch somewhere. Good Luck guys, post how you did!!!!!!!!

CJM
10-13-2012, 04:30 PM
Id love to race it but doubt I will ever do such a feat at this time in my life.

It looks like alot of fun, but DragonGunner is right-it is indeed grueling (and thats just after watching it on youtube) and tough. Now if it was just a few buddies and your self riding it-then I think it would be more fun. But with tons of other riders out there with you at a time its harrowing and tough not to crash or make a mistake.

dxcody
10-13-2012, 06:06 PM
LOL DG I have been studying helmet cams of Ironman since I decided I was going to try and run it!

Honestly, I planned on taking the easy way on all the hills anyways. There will be a minimum of 30 people in first year, which is row 16. The start is like 40 yards for row 1 to the 1st turn usually. then by the time 16 other rows go, my start to the first turn will be probably like 70+ yards.

Face the facts, a 400ex can not out run 450's in a 70 yard open stretch. It just wont happen unless that thing just fires up crazy and everyone else's doesn't.

So I figure I will either be mid pack-last on the holeshot, all those lines will be full going up the hills between the 4 C class maniacs... the 1st year maniacs... SO I was just going to play it safe, and try to leave some energy to run back to Ironman hill after the race and watch the bad boys come through.

One thing I have heard, that really meant a lot to me, and actually made me a little better rider I think is what Adam McGill said... Race the track, not the people.

Run your own race!

And so that is exactly what I am going to do. Well try to do... I am sure the adrenaline rushing on the start will change my mindset a little.. But I am going to try to remain as level headed as possible

400exmxracer
10-13-2012, 07:07 PM
Where's this at?

dxcody
10-13-2012, 07:36 PM
Crawfordsville, Indiana

October 20th is the quads, Bikes run on October 21st!

400exmxracer
10-13-2012, 07:49 PM
Thanks. GOOD LUCK YOU GUYS!!! let us know how you finish. Do side by sides race there too?

dxcody
10-13-2012, 07:51 PM
Yes they do! They race on Saturday after the quads. I believe they start at 4 or 5.. Probably 5PM.

Zeb400EX
10-13-2012, 09:59 PM
Cool dxcody hope to see ya there. Man I wish I could have rode 2day. I might be able to this week tho. I haven't rode in 2 weeks.

"Race the track, not the people."

I like that. Mcgill's is one of my fav. riders too. You should watch his gopro videos. His are fast than mine on fast foward? LOL.

Yeah I been trying for weeks now to prepare my self mentally to last for 2+hrs. I'm thinking: hit it semi hard on the start then once I hit the woods just take some deep breaths and start pacing myself. And to not push it so hard that I'm bouncing off trees.

Man thing is I realize the chances of me winning R not really there. I just need the remember why I'm doing this. To have fun and not get wrap up in the want to go as fast as I can. Still it will be cool just to see how I stack up against all the other riders. I'd be lying if I were to say I didn't want to do the best I can.

Every time I've been to ironman to watch. I've alway wanting to be out the beating down thru the trails. Just that sound of a 4 stroke blasting down thru the wood get my adrenaline going!

10-14-2012, 05:52 AM
Don't hesitate guys, go race. You will kick yourself for a whole year if you don't. It is the most fun you will ever have on an atv. I've been racing for a couple years now and love it. It is the most challenging thing you will ever do, the intensity level is so much higher than any other sport. If you enjoy challenging yourself go and do it. If you can last the 2+ hours and keep your machine in one piece you will get a better finish than you think. Just remember, its about FINISHING the race as fast as YOU can. Cody, don't worry about the holeshot either, a good running nearly stock 400 will do just fine against the 450's. I race against some crazy fast yfz's in my class and always manage to be one of the first couple guys into the woods. The machine you ride is only half of the equation! Good luck and have fun

400EXRAY
10-14-2012, 04:02 PM
I watched the youtube video from last years iron man, and it looks pretty grueling! Especially late in the race when you could see that guy was getting tired. you could tell he was gett'n tired because he stopped caring about wiping the mud off his camera lol. I would love to try that, I think I'd be the type to hang back during the run for the hole shot, and then pick guys off going through the woods. I'm a bigger guy, but I love fast trail runs!

I then got distracted from those youtube videos and started watching the atv crash videos from Glamis and Little saharra. the worst one being the dude who got hit head on by a sand rail comming the opposite direction over a dune, Ouch!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A30JI4xC3sg&feature=related

BIGTEX400EX
10-14-2012, 06:23 PM
I am going to be in Indianapolis for work and am going to head out and watch this weekend. There was no info on the website about admission fees or gate opening times? Anybody have any info? I am looking to hit the swap meet as well. Thanks

Zeb400EX
10-14-2012, 06:36 PM
In yrs past admission has been $15. The am quad race starts @10:00 on sat.

BIGTEX400EX
10-14-2012, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the info. Good luck and have a great time

dxcody
10-14-2012, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Zeb400EX
In yrs past admission has been $15. The am quad race starts @10:00 on sat.

Probably going to be cold as hell!!
:(

And we are camping there Friday night...

ben300
10-15-2012, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by dxcody
LOL DG I have been studying helmet cams of Ironman since I decided I was going to try and run it!

Honestly, I planned on taking the easy way on all the hills anyways. There will be a minimum of 30 people in first year, which is row 16. The start is like 40 yards for row 1 to the 1st turn usually. then by the time 16 other rows go, my start to the first turn will be probably like 70+ yards.

Face the facts, a 400ex can not out run 450's in a 70 yard open stretch. It just wont happen unless that thing just fires up crazy and everyone else's doesn't.

So I figure I will either be mid pack-last on the holeshot, all those lines will be full going up the hills between the 4 C class maniacs... the 1st year maniacs... SO I was just going to play it safe, and try to leave some energy to run back to Ironman hill after the race and watch the bad boys come through.

One thing I have heard, that really meant a lot to me, and actually made me a little better rider I think is what Adam McGill said... Race the track, not the people.

Run your own race!

And so that is exactly what I am going to do. Well try to do... I am sure the adrenaline rushing on the start will change my mindset a little.. But I am going to try to remain as level headed as possible

**** dude, the way you have talked (and maybe i just dont pay attention when i read), but i thought you had run a few races in the past.....anywho...you should run sport 15+.....itll basically be all 400's, and then the maragrias' on their 250r's.....try and keep up with them (joey and aaron)....joey's redonkulously fast. he raced XC2 for two seasons a couple seaons a year or so ago, and it'd be probably be pretty tough to catch him...but if you could follow aaron, you'd probably learn a lot and wind up with decent finish

dxcody
10-15-2012, 11:32 AM
I have been planning on racing for years! But every time I go out I always break something that puts me out!!

LOL

ish416
10-15-2012, 12:18 PM
The first year I tried to race it, I was 17 and was not allowed to because I didn't have a legal guardian present even though I was AMA registered.

The next year myself and a friend raced, we had a blast. Some of the hills are a serious nightmare if they are wet. All in all, it was a great time. Just be prepared to have your butt handed to you. This track is ruthless even when not muddy.

Go all out at the start and try to get into the woods as fast as you can. Once in the woods it's much easier to avoid the choke points and make ground up on the other riders. Also, leave room between you and whoever is in front of you. So if/when they get stuck/slow down/wreck you can avoid it. I see that happen all to often. Someone will start pressuring the person in front of them, that person gets stuck/wrecks or just slows down and then both of them end up stuck together or hitting each other.

I would push it hard for the first 30 - 45 minutes and then get into my groove and zone out, then toward the end I would push again for the last 20 - 30 minutes depending on how tired I was.

Just know your limits and push yourself accordingly. It is a race after all.

Longdong
10-15-2012, 02:52 PM
I will be there camping Friday night.

kt1148
10-15-2012, 09:10 PM
I just read it is $15 spectator pass for the whole weekend. Youth race at 8am, amateurs at 10am, top amateurs & pro's at 1pm both Sat & Sun. Might make it, not sure yet. (to watch that is..:)

Zeb400EX
10-15-2012, 10:57 PM
Camping is free too

dxcody
10-16-2012, 09:48 PM
I get nervous just thinking about this!!

But I didn't hesitate to pre-register!!

I am soo excited but at the same time I have a mega fear in my eyes!! lol

Zeb400EX
10-16-2012, 11:26 PM
dxcody U been watching the youtube videos? LOL. I did a check over of my ex 2night and found I've broke a bolt on my steer stabilizer(ccp). I'm gonna try a find one at lowes or somewhere 2morrow. There no way i'm gonna race without it. I won't ever trail ride without one anymore. Figures I would find this right before the race. I'm still gonna go watch if I can't get it fix though. I might be just cheering Ya on sat.

dxcody
10-17-2012, 12:12 AM
BullSh*t!!!!!!!

I blew a headgasket and I'm still racing! lol

Changing it Friday AT the track!!

You are racing!! LOL :D

ben300
10-17-2012, 09:25 AM
BullSh*t!!!!!!!

I blew a headgasket and I'm still racing! lol

Changing it Friday AT the track!!

You are racing!! LOL :D

wish it wasnt so far for me, or if i even had the free time...id bring out my EX and race with you guys!

my goal is to do at least 4 gncc's next season!

DragonGunner
10-17-2012, 03:37 PM
You young guys are killing me...wish I able to start over, back in my day all we had was a Honda 90 ATC.....that was it. I raced alot an I always got nervous, sometimes seeing some of the competition I would get real nervous before the race......but once I once we reved the engines an went, it all would go away. You will be scared an nervous, thats normal an sometimes even good, use it to make you more alert, realize its normal an even the vets are the same way.....at least it won't be dusty,..

Ba9801
10-17-2012, 07:08 PM
I am looking to do some races next year. I have never raced before but have been riding over 20 years. My question to the guys that have run these races, I can either run my 700xx or my 400ex. Which quad do you think would be better in these types of races? I plan to get whichever race ready over the winter.

Lots of luck to all of you that are racing this weekend.

dxcody
10-17-2012, 07:10 PM
Yep! Adam McGill said he gets nervous really bad before every race...

I am liable to pass out/pee/die/poop/ something sitting on the start line lol

So nervous, yet so excited!

Every year I go, afterwords I am like man I should have raced.. This year, I will probably be saying "Jesus why the hell did I race!" lol

I'm predicting Sunday to be a little sore.

dxcody
10-17-2012, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Ba9801
700xx or my 400ex.

400ex all the way man! Or buy a 450R and use it!

I haven't spent any time on a 700xx... Never even sat on one for that matter..

I heard they handle really well.. Idk

400ex gets my vote.

Ba9801
10-17-2012, 07:20 PM
The 700XX does have some handeling issues in stock form, but with a good set of Elka's up front and a larger rear sway bar in back along with some good tires they actually handel very well. The 700XX is a bit heavy but it has tons of power and ground clearance.

Zeb400EX
10-17-2012, 11:35 PM
Well I fix my stabilizer issues and installed a gtt poly body skid 2night. So the quad is ready to go. Idk if I am tho. Lol.

dxcody
10-18-2012, 02:31 AM
You are.. Trust me, I am as nervous as you can get.. But I am so ready to get out there..

it was kinda a last minute thing for me.

Lets put it this way... 2 weeks ago I had my cases split.

But I am starting to get the no show rep.. Been talking about racing for 3 years now, and I am finally doing it.. So all the people who say, "You aren't going to race... " Now I can tell them to suck me.

LOL

400man
10-18-2012, 09:04 AM
good luck who ever all is going. it was my first ever xc race there in 2008, I raced on my 250r and finished about in the middle of my class I think. looks like its gonna be classic ironman conditions, muddy an cold haha :p . my advice is dont worry about getting the holeshot and just try to stay smooth in the first couple turns through the field before you get to the woods, then just pace yourself and WATCH the guy in front of you, but stay just a little bit behind him so that if he messes up and clips a tree or gets stuck you got room to get around him.

Stickman400
10-18-2012, 10:24 AM
Well I fix my stabilizer issues and installed a gtt poly body skid 2night. So the quad is ready to go. Idk if I am tho. Lol. Have any problems installing that skid?

400EXRAY
10-18-2012, 03:07 PM
Whats the biggest guy you've ever seen compete in something like this? Im a big guy and I feel like id like to give it a go. Not this race specifically, but one closer to my area.

ish416
10-18-2012, 05:00 PM
Whats the biggest guy you've ever seen compete in something like this? Im a big guy and I feel like id like to give it a go. Not this race specifically, but one closer to my area.

A friend of mine is 6'5 and 330 lbs. He raced his 700 Raptor a few times and actually did fairly well.

In my racing days before college I was 6'3, 215 - 230 lbs and was quite successful racing my EX. I am currently about 265 lbs right now, but after fracturing the same vertebrae twice in 3 years, I haven't been riding the quads much. Just last week I started training for an XC race I am planning on running later this year or early next year.

The best advice to give anyone is just go for it. Ride at your own pace and have fun.

Zeb400EX
10-18-2012, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Stickman400
Have any problems installing that skid?

No not at all. That maier mount kit was simple to use. I still gotta drill some oil drain ones tho. What size holes did you drill in yours?

dxcody
10-18-2012, 09:13 PM
Well, I am leaving at noon tomorrow..

Here goes nothing!

By the way, it is going to be a MUDDY MESS!!!!!!!!

Crap....

CJM
10-18-2012, 09:24 PM
GL man!

dxcody
10-18-2012, 10:14 PM
Thank you!!

If you get some free time Saturday morning between 10am - noon

get on gncclive.com

I am racing first year!

-Cody Crichfield!

Longdong
10-19-2012, 11:05 AM
Two facts in life to live by!

1. Everything that is born will die!!!

2. You will never get today back!!!

So go racing

Stickman400
10-19-2012, 11:49 AM
No not at all. That maier mount kit was simple to use. I still gotta drill some oil drain ones tho. What size holes did you drill in yours? Used a 2 1/4" hole saw. Drilled one directly underneath the oil tank bolt and offset the one for the crankcase so when you pull the plug the oil doesn't shoot out and go on top of the skid, defeating the purpose of even having the hole.

BIGTEX400EX
10-19-2012, 05:56 PM
I am in Indainapolis (30 miles east of Ironman location,) rained most of the afternoon, not pouring rain but steady. Should make for real wet and muddy conditions and good UTube videos. Good luck everyone, cant wait go get out there tomorrow!

400exmxracer
10-19-2012, 08:56 PM
GOOD LUCK TOMORROW GUYS!!! Let us all know how you finished

Zeb400EX
10-19-2012, 10:40 PM
Well I guess I will not b attending the race at all now. Due to some unexpected family matters. But I do want thank everyone that posted on this thread for all of the moral support and advice. Sure helped me feel better about going into the race. I felt I had a better mind set about it because of this thread. I'm definitely going to try run a gncc race in the future for sure. Its been in my blood for awhile now.

dxcody, Hope you do good man. From the pics of up there I've seen so far it looks like a muddy mess. That just = fun tho.

Zeb400EX
10-20-2012, 08:20 AM
Watching from my iphone. Wishing i was on the line! Hammer down dxcody!! http://www.gncclive.com/mobile.aspx

DragonGunner
10-20-2012, 10:02 AM
Cody has 1 lap down!!!! He ways back in the pack, but first race ever an at a national...great job...think his lap time was around 50 min.....bet he is getting tired....lol. He either going to hate it or its going to be in his blood an he's hooked....I think he is going to be hooked...an sore for a week....LOL

DragonGunner
10-20-2012, 10:20 AM
Cody just got his 2nd lap in. His first lap was 56 min an was 34th out of 38 riders in his class. His 2nd lap was around 39 min, so he's is hammering it now, most of the top racers are getting about 29 min laps in...he has moved up to 24th in his class so he passing a bunch, that always makes ya feel good....ya he's really hooked!!!!

DragonGunner
10-20-2012, 10:58 AM
Cody got 3rd an I'm guessing last lap in at 38 min. an moved up to 17th.....great job...I saw where some other first yr. racer from his home town finished just in front of him.....

Zeb400EX
10-20-2012, 01:48 PM
Great job man!

BIGTEX400EX
10-20-2012, 03:17 PM
Great job. This was my first time going to a GNCC. Wow was it muddy and sloppy in spots, people were stuck everywhere and pulling off the track. Looked like one hec of a workout.

jman7290
10-20-2012, 04:28 PM
Great job Cody, we were all pulling for ya and you did us proud!!!

CJM
10-20-2012, 04:41 PM
Congrats Cody!

400exmxracer
10-20-2012, 05:02 PM
Good job

dxcody
10-20-2012, 07:24 PM
It was cool of you guys to post the updates!!! Thanks!

First lap, I got a great start probably 10th or so... IT WAS SOOOO MUDDY.

Got caught in a rut on the 2nd turn and some kids got tangled... The rut ran me right into them! lol

Then, there was this one lane trail, that was down hill and at the bottom of a hill there was a tunnel just big enough to fit a quad in... Well I got half way down this rutted freaking hill and a kid got stuck.. I literally sat on this hill and waited on this kid for 15 mins and they rerouted everyone behind me around the tunnel so I lost a lot of ground there.

My thumb was about to fall off. LOL

But I had a great time and only got stuck once!...which was also on the first lap.
Even got a little piece of twin hills!!

it was really fun though! Def better than watching!!

dxcody
10-20-2012, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by DragonGunner
Cody got 3rd an I'm guessing last lap in at 38 min. an moved up to 17th.....great job...I saw where some other first yr. racer from his home town finished just in front of him.....

Yep that was my buddy which was also his first race ever!!

He got me by not much at all!!

Should have raced man!

Ba9801
10-21-2012, 02:59 PM
Great job Cody!! :)

400EXRAY
10-21-2012, 03:24 PM
Wheres a good place to see some pictures of this event?

10-21-2012, 03:33 PM
Cody, great job. Now you are hooked!!! That place was big muddy mess, I was there to race utv class with my brother in law and was glad I didn't bring the quad lol!!. You will find pictures of the race most likely at racedaypix.com or at xcountryphotos.com.

dxcody
10-21-2012, 03:34 PM
Thanks everyone!

It made my day when I got home and saw this thread was blown up with all the compliments!

Wish I could have did a little better for you guys.

Got 17th and they gave out Ironman trophies to 16th but I had a lot of fun!

atvriders always takes a ton of pictures and GNCC both usually do.

So if you have facebook like atvriders.com and grand national cross country series on there.

TacicalRedneck
10-21-2012, 04:10 PM
Thanks everyone!

It made my day when I got home and saw this thread was blown up with all the compliments!

Wish I could have did a little better for you guys.

Got 17th and they gave out Ironman trophies to 16th but I had a lot of fun!

atvriders always takes a ton of pictures and GNCC both usually do.

So if you have facebook like atvriders.com and grand national cross country series on there.

Got any cool pics to show us? :macho

dxcody
10-21-2012, 04:29 PM
Well there is this one.. My buddy took it as soon as I pulled up at the trailer.. It is MUDDY

Also I think I forgot to mention I rode my buddies YFZ at the last minute. Blew a headgasket on the 400ex right before I went through tech.

400exmxracer
10-21-2012, 05:06 PM
U HAVE A GOOD FRIEND!!! what was your other buddy riding

dxcody
10-21-2012, 07:02 PM
There was suppose to be 4 of us that raced.
Me - 400ex
Will - YFZ
Mike - YFZ
Matt - LTR

Mike let me race his, so he got his money back and just watched and drank some beer! lol

CJM
10-21-2012, 08:21 PM
Sucks about the 400 :( Least ya got to ride.

And DANG your muddy. I woulda had a problem, I HATE mud and avoid it like the plague.

dxcody
10-21-2012, 08:31 PM
I have some up close picture of the mud I am going to upload here in a second.. LOL

We measured the grab bar and to the top of the grab bar dirty it was 28 1/2 inches..

When it was clean it was 30 inches.

That is quite a bit of weight! lol

dxcody
10-21-2012, 09:22 PM
Mud

dxcody
10-21-2012, 09:24 PM
another

dxcody
10-21-2012, 09:45 PM
Another..

2000th post, yay me, I'm a post whore!

Stickman400
10-21-2012, 10:14 PM
WOW, eff that. I can handle alittle mud but that is just insane. I think I would have a heart attack when I got off and looked at my wheeler and started thinking about how I was gunna clean it. Good job though man, 17th is great for a first year racer and all the hoops you had to jump through and the problems you had during the race. I think Thumpin needs to go to a race like that just so I can see him get it looking as clean as his 400 currently is, lol.

Thumpin440ex
10-21-2012, 10:17 PM
Hell ya, thats some mud....Congrats man. You def didn't do bad at all considering it was your first race. I would love to do one, would be happy to say ''atleast I did it" Also I never knew atv riders was based out of Westminster MD. Hell that is literally 25 mins from me.

John

Thumpin440ex
10-21-2012, 10:19 PM
HAHAHAHA stickman. I have had my bike DIRTY, but that yamy was def CAKED. DAMN..

John

dxcody
10-21-2012, 10:28 PM
I agree!!

LOL you have the cleanest quad on here probably and after something like that... wow I can't see it ever being the same.

I got her pretty much cleaned up though.

Not spit shined or anything like that, but better than it was!!

PS: Did you guys know there was a quad under all that mud?? LOL

Thumpin440ex
10-21-2012, 10:43 PM
I knew it was something under all that mud, hahaha, bike actually is a sharp looking piece, even for a yamy :P. Here is my bucket after it was blasted off with the hose. I dunno where the pic of it seriously dirty is though.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/mangler0075/400ex/ex-2.jpg

John

Stickman400
10-21-2012, 10:43 PM
So where is all the mud from the quad??? You deff. didn't wash it where it's sitting now. Looks leaps and bounds better right now then it was. How long did that take?

EDIT: Lol Thumpin, that looks like you took it down a gravel road after a good rain. Hell my 450 looks like that right now and all I did was go down a creek that had some water in it, lol

dxcody
10-21-2012, 10:46 PM
haha You have clearly never heard me talk about my old man!

I washed it right where it is sitting in that pic.

The old man made me shovel it all up into a wheel barrel and wash the concrete with the power washer.

EDIT: Took me about 3 hours with all the shoveling and stuff!

Thumpin440ex
10-21-2012, 10:49 PM
Hell I bet that bike had 70lbs of mud on it easy.

John

Stickman400
10-21-2012, 10:55 PM
Oh I know that feeling, my dad is the same way about the concrete in front of our machine shed. I don't think I've ever spent more than 1 hour washing mine.

400exmxracer
10-22-2012, 04:52 AM
Cody did you ever put the new graphics on your ex?

markp95
10-22-2012, 09:39 AM
I was there, probably saw you at one of creek crossings. My grandson raced in schoolboy a-b.

dxcody
10-22-2012, 11:03 AM
Haven't put my graphics on yet. Will probably do that today actually!

I usually just stopped before every creek crossing and waited for someone to tell me which way was best to go.

Those creek crossing were fun though. Some were pretty technical!

dxcody
10-23-2012, 05:24 PM
Here is one picture of me.. This is literally right after I got unstuck.. God I was pissed. LOL

400exmxracer
10-23-2012, 05:27 PM
No goggles!?!?!? How many times did u get dirt in your eye

dxcody
10-23-2012, 05:34 PM
LOL Funny story actually.

(goggles are around the handlebar)

I forgot my goggles at the trailer.. SO I didn't even have them on the holeshot, WHICH SUCKED!!

My eyes were swollen and red at the end of the race.

400exmxracer
10-23-2012, 06:54 PM
Hahahaha I bet.... Ya know, my first name is so much better than yours!!!! Who names their kid Cody!?:-)

400EXRAY
10-23-2012, 07:02 PM
Ok cody, after riding your friends YFZ, what do you think were the pros and cons between your 400ex and the YFZ? And do you think your finishing position would have been any different if your honda was in perfect riding condition?

400exmxracer
10-23-2012, 07:05 PM
My name is Cody too, by the way. Hahaha

dxcody
10-23-2012, 07:40 PM
I know Cody is a crap name right! LOL Kidding!

Uhh.. Well, I mean I have been riding 400ex's for 2 years now. And with 400's (not to be a jerk or anything) but you ride one, you have rode them all. Ya know what I mean?

It was very different having never rode that specific quad before, ya know?

At first I really felt it yanking me back and forth since I wasn't used to the power, but as the day went on, about 20 mins or so into the race, I felt like I had rode that quad for years.

So in some ways, yeah I think I would have done better on my quad, but in other ways I am not sure it really mattered because I adapted so fast to it..

That 450 really helped on those short run hills though. There were sometimes when I thought, "I don't know if I could have did that on the 400... "

And the creeks. They really seal those 450's up, unlike the 400's that the airbox is exposed etc etc. You can blast through the creeks on 450's and never have it cut out or anything, and on a 400ex even with the spark plug wire mod, you still have to be careful.

dxcody
10-23-2012, 07:43 PM
Oh Also, I am big on leaning.

In turns I am usually on the footpeg, and on a 400ex it is kinda a tight fit. 450's have so much more room to move around and what not.

Zeb400EX
10-23-2012, 10:56 PM
You got a hell good friend to let you ride that thing! Thats a pretty sweet quad. I think I would have rather rode it. How did you feel after the race? Body wise.

dxcody
10-23-2012, 11:31 PM
I felt awesome.

I mean, my right forearm was swelled up pretty bad, due to the throttle thing, but I mean we watched the XC1 holeshot, then ran up and down hills to get to twin hills before the pros got there.

Now the next day.. lol

My shoulders were a little sore, and my knees had bruises on them from smashing into the gas tank on all the off camber stuff, but nothing I hadn't really experienced before!

01boneless
10-24-2012, 08:01 AM
did you climb the big hill everyone in the video crashed on???

dxcody
10-24-2012, 11:03 AM
Chure did!

Never got stuck on it, thank goodness.

I came up out of the creek and just followed the hands until I saw a line I was comfortable with.

The way I climbed was steeper and a little taller than most of the other lines, but was smooth.

dxcody
10-24-2012, 08:48 PM
Got a picture of me on the holeshot..

Me in the pink!!