PDA

View Full Version : Stryker or Tomar Clutches?

CCTXMan
10-13-2012, 12:58 AM
Thinking about going to the 2-disc clutches. Good and the bads? What's the best one out there? Feed back before I buy will be helpful. Thx

jay-r
10-13-2012, 09:50 AM
Word is, the 2 disc clutch does not perform really well on a 50. Supposedly they do well on the 70s. The preference on a 50 still seems to be Tomar.

Honestly, in my opinion, there is nothing wrong with the 3 shoe. I have had shoes last a complete season before. We typically wear bells out before shoes. There may be a performance advantage to the disc clutch, but you really need to be good at tuning it in. We have pulled holeshots at the nationals with a 3 shoe in our 50 and our 70 engines. We did break a clutch bolt at the national in KY this year. Only time we had a reliablility issue with 3 shoe. I have seen several people go back to 3 shoe after having reliabilty issues with the disc clutches.

One big thing to consider is that if a 3 shoe clutch comes apart, you may ruin a bell, if a disc clutch comes apart at 15,000 rpms, it is going to be ugly. Again, this is just my opinion, some people love their disc clutches. Maybe one of them will chime in here with more info.

dragracekid
10-14-2012, 09:31 PM
We have run them both, tomar in our 50 worked awesome with tuning, you can't just install and go... 2 disc we never run in our 50 but in our 70ss with tuning once again was very beneficial. The 2 disc can be ran in a 50 as I know someone that used them and was beneficial for them.. I would recomend spending the money once, (as I did not ) but there is going to be some time spent on tuning. I can give you a couple of guys # on the 2 disc clutching to call if interested....

desratt
10-15-2012, 08:21 PM
We are using the 2 disc from heath racing. On our 70ss and loving it. I went through 3 3shoe clutches this season. Broken bolts, ect. This holeshot clutch has performed great so far with very little tuning. Just pulled apart this weekend to check it and replace cfd pads and still looks like new.

CCTXMan
02-12-2013, 09:09 PM
Ended up going with the Stryker, Horseman is support sponsoring us! First race is next week, will post results and feed back.

Yuk33
02-19-2013, 05:02 AM
We loved the Tomar performance in our 70; make sure you get the taller gaskets since you have to stack three together.
Pre soak the discs, use the Tomar clutch oil or Amsoil Super shift. Or just call Marvin w/Tomar.