PDA

View Full Version : carrier bearings

Lquad71
10-10-2012, 09:05 PM
So today my axle finally busted and when I put a new one in I am going to throw some new bearings in there as well. I still use the stock carrier and I replace bearings up to 3 times a season if not more depending on how much I ride and what kind of riding. Im debating whether to get pivot works because they have a lifetime warranty or go with double wide bearings because I have heard they are stronger and last longer.
Im leaning towards double wide but dont really get how it works unless only the sprocket side is double wide. I would, however, like to go with the most durable setup. If anyone has suggestions and where to get the bearings for this. I know some bearings are crap and others are top of the line so I would like to hear people's experience with the product they recommend.

d3ktrix
10-10-2012, 11:11 PM
Are you replacing the bearings 3 times a season as preventive maintenance or because they actually go bad?

The OEM carrier bearings have been pretty reliable from what I have seen and should last at least a season or 2.

Are you over tightening your lock nut? Some believe this can cause premature wear, even though I have never had a problem with with.
Back when I was new to the sport I used to crank down on the lock nut, but the bearings still lasted multiple seasons.

I ran East Coast ATV carriers for 1 season, I went through 3 in a few months. One of them only lasted 1 lap around the track before the hub side bearing blew apart. The next 2 only lasted a few months.

Then I got an RPM dual wide and it lasted 3 seasons, never even took it out between seasons to check it. lol
I just took it out last week when I broke my sprocket hub. The bearings were still in good shape, just the sprocket side bearing had the tinniest bit of roughness to it.

If you want the longest lasting carrier, get an RPM roller bearing carrier.
Should last a life time as long as you only snug the locknut and keep the bearings packed with fresh grease. They are not sealed like the ball bearings.

Lquad71
10-10-2012, 11:58 PM
I would always feel the right side get some roughness to it and I never want to take the chance so I would replace all three bearings. So mostly preventative, and I will always change them before a really long race like the 6 hour gp at the end of the year so that I dont have to change carriers during the race.lol

And I was looking at the rpm just wanted to know what people are saying. Also was wondering about the lonestar(i am partial to lsr) And correct me if im wrong but you said you never checked your for three seasons but you also said keep it packed with fresh grease.haha. and I use a baldwin anti fade and get it snug to where there is no play then just a tiny bit tighter then I tighten it up so I dont think it is the locknut. My motor is pushing high 50's in hp and I race pro/am and pro on the west coast. My race bike is also my practice bike so it gets ridden a lot throughout the year.

d3ktrix
10-11-2012, 12:51 AM
I have the ball bearing RPM, the roller/tapered bearing RPM is the one you need to repack.

And yeah my engine is in the high 50's also.

I've never used an LSR carrier, but a few friends have and they seemed to hold up ok.

Balaz_73*00
10-11-2012, 07:08 AM
I've had really good luck with RAD carriers and their bearings.

fomospede
10-11-2012, 04:14 PM
make sure your running japanese bearings
anything less is a waste of time
we race xc hours on end and water too!

desratt
10-11-2012, 09:09 PM
Durablue.

Lquad71
10-11-2012, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by fomospede
make sure your running japanese bearings
anything less is a waste of time
we race xc hours on end and water too!

How can i tell if im getting jap bearings or not?

CJM
10-11-2012, 09:13 PM
Almost all of the aftermarket carriers are the same. Just the quality of the bearings they use. Infact the double wide bearings, if you google the number on the bearing you can buy them CHEAP.

Not sure about a 450, but the EX uses GM A/C compressor bearings for a 5.7L chevy 2500 truck around 1995 or so. $15/ea vs like 25+ for whatever "brand name"

fomospede
10-12-2012, 04:33 AM
Originally posted by CJM
Almost all of the aftermarket carriers are the same. Just the quality of the bearings they use. Infact the double wide bearings, if you google the number on the bearing you can buy them CHEAP.

Not sure about a 450, but the EX uses GM A/C compressor bearings for a 5.7L chevy 2500 truck around 1995 or so. $15/ea vs like 25+ for whatever "brand name"

that is correct the same bearing in the 450
japanese are worth the wait!!

CJM
10-12-2012, 09:28 AM
Bearing specs. Part # 907257 Ball Bearing; Bore=1.5743", Outer Diameter=2.4411", Width=0.812"

I just looked it up, 1999 chevy K2500 5.7L But I am sure its also for other GM models and years.

Lquad71
10-22-2012, 09:20 PM
I stepped up to the double rows, how long should i expect to get these guys to last? I would go a little under 15 hours on the stock ones because I was always afraid of them getting destroyed. I ride Pro and Pro/am on the west coast mostly mx and some GP's if that gives you an idea of the beating they get.

CJM
10-22-2012, 09:28 PM
So long as they are greased and sealed well, I get a good year or better out of mine riding hard in the sand at least 100hrs a year

Lquad71
10-23-2012, 09:20 AM
Wow thats going to save me some money.haha.
Ill probably end up doing it about once a season and see how that goes.

fomospede
10-23-2012, 09:32 AM
if you get in water lossen the 4 clamp bolts and water will drain out!

Lquad71
10-23-2012, 09:47 AM
Yea anytime I race in the rain or go through water I go through most of my bearings and seals just to be safe.

2001400exrida
10-24-2012, 09:53 AM
I just put new bearings in this year. If you're sealed up you should get no water in the swingarm. I get several years on a carrier, but it honestly depends on the type of riding. Mine is mostly wet and dirty trails so it's extreme for sure. I just replaced the stock bearings this year and it was a dune quad before i got it.