PDA

View Full Version : timing issue?

D3structive
10-09-2012, 05:11 PM
im running a slip on with k and n 42/158 2 1/2 fa and the bike is idling way too high and it seems like its mis firing here and there, a total hiccup and the motor will die at that hiccup if just idling. does this sound like a timing issue? I never checked the timing before

CJM
10-09-2012, 05:36 PM
Start by checking the jetting. Pull the plug and see if its rich or lean. From here if its fine-do the following:

Adjust the valves. I have the same issue on my 450, biatch to start and gotta have an insane idle but once warmed up fine. In my case I know the valves are worn (they wear like 20x fast as an EX ever will because they are titanium). Usually an EX can get away with an adjustment.

Try adjusting the valves first, procedure can be found under the articles link near the ad banners. That doesnt solve it look for possible oil and exhaust leaks. Everythings fine there I would check timing. Pull the rocker cover and check the chain for play (should be dang near solid!), put the flywheel like your gonna adjust the valves and see where the cam marks line up. Check the tensioner as well-it should spring back when you insert a small flathead and turn it.