PDA

View Full Version : F this lock nut. Thats all i gots to say bout that

Thumpin440ex
10-09-2012, 04:44 PM
What a dirty rotten %^&*. I have had it soaking for days knowing it is a bish. Routinely tapping it with a hammer. Inner lock came off no bigge, but the cover nut is about welded on, even tried tightening it, then loosing it, no luck. I have done a few these in the past for friends with no where near this much issue. frustrating as hell. Ok deep breath, beer break.

John

on the rocks
10-09-2012, 05:04 PM
lol i have always had luck with my pipe wrench. put it on there sticking back and stomp on it. lol

ohhhh and if the lock nut sucks that much you can bet that brake disk hub will be just as bad.

Thumpin440ex
10-09-2012, 05:11 PM
Yah, I am thinking that also. Gonna let it soak over night and try again tom. Next bet is hitting it with some heat...

John

honda250xrider
10-09-2012, 05:16 PM
Do you have a torch? Apply a bit of heat and watch it come right off.

on the rocks
10-09-2012, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Thumpin440ex
Yah, I am thinking that also. Gonna let it soak over night and try again tom. Next bet is hitting it with some heat...

John

screw heat, at this point all you have left to do is to push it in the road and let it get hit by a semi.

CJM
10-09-2012, 05:31 PM
Had the same issue after I decided to use a little bit'o loctite on it. Mapp gas torch for a good 5 mins and melted a candle over it-came off easy then.

Thumpin440ex
10-09-2012, 05:42 PM
Lol, yah I have a torch, map gun. Going to give the map gun a shot first(should def get it). Usually heat is the last option but almost always works. I am thinking about getting a aftermarket one when it goes back on with the set screws, just to avoid this down the road. This is the first time the rear has been apart ever, so 12 years of riding and elements have done their usual.

John

01boneless
10-09-2012, 05:44 PM
I know how you feal Im dealing with a seized one right now....heat nor oil would help mine any, might have to cut it off, inner came off easy tho

CJM
10-09-2012, 05:51 PM
I try and make sure mines serviced at least once a year to make sure its gonna come off. I have never had it loosen however.

Also I use the tusk/gforce axle wrenches you can put on breaker bars-makes it soo much easier.

powerbomb400
10-09-2012, 06:38 PM
I had to use a pipe wrench and a hammer. That's why I bought Moquads axle nut. Two allen screws crip down and if it loosens up then takes 2 minutes to retighten and can be done easily trail side.

Thumpin440ex
10-09-2012, 07:56 PM
Yah I think I am headed in that direction. Have to find a deal on one now LOL. This is how I even had it sitting for the past few days, to give the oil a even better shot of getting into the threads.

John

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/mangler0075/400ex/ex-1.jpg

Stickman400
10-09-2012, 10:38 PM
Man I wish my frame stayed that shiny after I washed it, lol. The heat should be the trick. I've had to use a pipe wrench before. I've also had to use a 9" grinder and grind the entire nut and threads off to cut it in half to get it off because it was rusted on. I finally got a Durablue anti-fade brake hub/locknut. It's one of the best things I've ever bought, there's one allen screw you take out then you can tighten it up by hand and then put the screw back in and you're done. It's got quick threads on it instead of fine threads so it can't really get seized up either, plus it's aluminum.

Thumpin440ex
10-09-2012, 10:53 PM
Haha, thanks, it is still dirty.. I hope I do not have to get into cutting this pig off.

John

01boneless
10-10-2012, 10:19 PM
My buddy dremel got it off for me today :devil:

Thumpin440ex
10-10-2012, 10:22 PM
Unfortunately I think that is the route I am headed. Used heat today, it basically laughed at me. Gona try one more trick tom, hope it will work. On a side note I was able to get my LSR +2 arms on tonite. Now this ******* nut needs to come off.

John

01boneless
10-10-2012, 10:31 PM
I decided to cut it when heat laughed and the pipe wrench slipped and pis**ed me off