PDA

View Full Version : front A-arm +1or+2

fred and fred
03-11-2003, 07:53 AM
Can I go with +1 or+2 A arms up front and still keep the rear axle stock. what is the best setup for MX and still being able to use the trials. thanks.

03-11-2003, 08:44 AM
most guys go with +1 for trail riding but u can get +2 and get different offset wheels. I would use a +2 axle but thats just me.

03-11-2003, 09:09 AM
YOur better to run an extended axle at first and then go with arms up front...

I do both MX and XC and I run +1 arms up front and a LS ext. axle out back..I have no problems running with the wide arse front end quads when on the MX track with my XC front end..

speedy400
03-11-2003, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Rico
YOur better to run an extended axle at first and then go with arms up front...

I do both MX and XC and I run +1 arms up front and a LS ext. axle out back..I have no problems running with the wide arse front end quads when on the MX track with my XC front end..
J/w, but why would getting a long axle be better stability than getting extended a-arm, I ont think there would be a differance. but then again I dont know that much:rolleyes: :huh

terko440
03-11-2003, 12:46 PM
nothing against what rico is saying but myself and others tend to think its better to go the a-arms route because is your rear end is wider than your front you will have a 3-wheeler effect which is kind of how my bike is set up now since I havent gotten a-arms yet so I can confirm it is a little tipsy with this setup. Just my opinion.

fred and fred
03-11-2003, 01:33 PM
So,I can go with +2 and a different rear wheel offset or +2 axle. How about +1 and no change to the rear.Is anyone using that setup. I just do not have all that $ right now.Thanks.

Sparks425Ex
03-11-2003, 02:32 PM
Axle First then a arms....

fred and fred
03-11-2003, 03:22 PM
Iwould think if you run the back wider then the front it would be unstable on the turns like a 3 wheeler.

zfire_28
03-12-2003, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by fred and fred
How about +1 and no change to the rear.Is anyone using that setup. I just do not have all that $ right now.Thanks.

I have just installed this set up on mine, I havn't had a chance to really rip on it yet, but it don't feel a lot different from stock. I think this set up will be fine for you.

fred and fred
03-12-2003, 05:34 AM
I have decided to save up some $ and go with the +2a arms and a new rear axle.I run the works fronts and I will have them revalved. Cost is still important. So please let me know brand and where to order from.Thanks.

fred and fred
03-12-2003, 05:45 AM
Would Derisi Racing be a good place to start.

400grl
03-12-2003, 08:00 AM
From what I have heard, it's better to go axle first - your front is still wide enough that you aren't going to to the three-wheeler thing. But then, I have also heard that if you widen your rear and not your front, you run the risk of clipping things with your rear tires because you can clear stuff with your front that you can't with the back. I would assume then, that if you are running XC, you'd want to widen your front first, and if you are running MX, you'd want to widen you rear........

anywhereEx
03-12-2003, 08:16 AM
I would have to agree with 400grl. I did my front first and I was alot happier that route.

03-12-2003, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by fred and fred
Iwould think if you run the back wider then the front it would be unstable on the turns like a 3 wheeler.

It's called body english in the turns...;) and a good set of zero preload shocks take's care of that problem too.. I've ran a wider rearend over the front for over 2 years and it works fine for me.. I had to put my stock axle back on after bending a durablow and it absolutely sucked that way.. Here's how you look at it..your front end narrower than your rear might make you think it's gonna feel tipsy..well backin off the throttle because you can't get your rearend to slide around because of stock width in the rear is not makin you faster on the track..your still gonna 2 wheel thru the corner.. when I put the LS axle on at full width...2 wheelin in the corners was a think of the past.. If you know how to ride and ride good....sitten on your nerfbar thru the turn with the hamemr down and your rearend slidin around is the ticket to gettin thru the turn fast.. I know for a fact i can ride faster with a wider axle over a-arms on any track on any day... Plus a real wide front end and narrow back end tops the gay lookin list I think....:eek: :D

bmw500hp
03-12-2003, 11:56 AM
Yo Rico!

Do you change your XC setup for a day on the track...Wheels, Tires, spacers etc...?? and watch for them fellas with the narrow axle :eek: