PDA

View Full Version : Axle nut...

01boneless
10-07-2012, 03:54 PM
I dont usally post if I dont have to or if search dosent work but im stumped I have a seized pivot bolt that ive beat on for days so im gonna have to cut the swingarm off :( Next i have a seized outer axle nut, not the little narrow one but the big outer nut....all this was off 6 months ago and was a breeze. but I know the swinger bolt needs cut off but I dont wanna cut the axle nut cause im already in over my head budget wise.... and ideas on how to get it off????
oh and ill start a 2013 build thread soon :)

flint250trx
10-07-2012, 04:35 PM
I had the same problem with mine. What worked for me was alot of heat. Get the torch and hammer out and give it hell. Best i can tell ya

CJM
10-07-2012, 09:08 PM
Heat.

I couldnt get the one off my EX awhile back and nearly stripped it, torched it for 5 mins with mapp gas and bingo came right off.

2001400exrida
10-08-2012, 07:31 AM
be sure you are turning the correct way on that large axle nut. It's really only tightened up against the stopper ring so it may have seized itself to that ring Are you using a big cheater bar? I put a 3ft pipe on the wrench to get mine loose, it takes some muscle to loosen it up.

DnB_racing
10-09-2012, 01:39 AM
on your rebuild be sure to have a direct and specific path for your ground system,

your motor mounts, coil ground, should be as direct and clean as possible..

use a conductive grease on all ground points, and a dielectric non conductive type of grease on all bolts that could indirectly become a path to ground

the pivot bolt seizing is a sign of electrolysis from oxidation,

electrolysis is a electrical and chemical reaction caused only were electrical current is present,

seized bolts are very common on frames that have been repainted or powdered and the factory bolts have been removed,

when the quads are assembled at the factory all the proper bolts and adjoining frame to motor connections have been treated accordingly to create the proper path for the grounds,

oxidation and corrosion from electrolysis is the main contributor to seized bolts, treat every bolt with the proper type of chemical treatment to eliminate all oxidation on your future builds