PDA

View Full Version : Breaking in Clutch Plates?

Stickman400
10-06-2012, 01:01 PM
I've never really thought about this but is there any way to break in new clutch plates that will make them last a little longer? I've always just soaked them in oil for 24 hours, put them in and then jumped on it and road it like normal, slipping and feathering the clutch alittle more than usual to make sure they don't have excessive amounts of oil between them. Anyone ever heard anything about this kinda thing? It sounds kinda dumb but I'm just curious.

pmg8134
10-06-2012, 07:01 PM
just read somewhere the other day somebody said to scuff the steel plates up before installing. don`t know it it hurts or helps but it`s kind of along the lines of your thread. something along the lines of a manufacturing burr being left over and wearing on your fiber plates prematurely. sandblasted, wet sanded, figure 8`s on a garage floor is what I read. haven`t done it, so I`m not saying to do anything though

ds268
10-06-2012, 11:38 PM
Soak the fibers in oil overnight, install and ride. No such process for break in. In some cases where there is clutch slippage with heavy duty springs (generally 55hp+), you can sand blast the plates carefully to avoid warping them. Its a trick to hold a few more hp.

d3ktrix
10-10-2012, 11:18 PM
I've never heard of clutch break in either.
Just soak them and ride.