PDA

View Full Version : 50cc piston rings

Tim kapopoulos
10-05-2012, 07:35 PM
Just replaced piston and ring on my 2012 drx do to low comp ..65 lbs the engine originally came with a single piston ring type piston . I ordered a replacement top end kit, piston,rings, orings and wrist pin from drr. My question is the replacement kit was a double ring polished piston .... Whats the difference ? Why one as opposed to two rings... oh yea and the single piston had one large port and new piston has a divided port . WHY?

bb49
10-06-2012, 05:23 AM
the dual ring will hold compression for alot longer than a single ring. the only down fall i found was the dual ring lasts about 2 hrs. If this happens to you let me know i called drr and they said no ones having problems with this i went throug 4 pistons already.

fomospede
10-06-2012, 06:55 AM
1 ring creates less drag ie more power to the wheels and quicker revs

a correctly gapped ring at the rpms these turn will run great

i usually set my practice machine with dual ring as i dont want to have it apart as often

we ran a s6 single ring setup for 18 hrs before it started to fall off on compression

hope this helps

hotquads1
10-06-2012, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by Tim kapopoulos
Just replaced piston and ring on my 2012 drx do to low comp ..65 lbs the engine originally came with a single piston ring type piston . I ordered a replacement top end kit, piston,rings, orings and wrist pin from drr. My question is the replacement kit was a double ring polished piston .... Whats the difference ? Why one as opposed to two rings... oh yea and the single piston had one large port and new piston has a divided port . WHY?

Is this a cast-iron or an aluminum cylinder? oem piston is dual ring, We do updrade some of the aluminum cylinders with a single ring piston when we build them.

Tim kapopoulos
10-06-2012, 08:31 AM
It's an aluminum cylinder ported by hetrick. The locating pin for the ring on the original single ring piston was worn away... It also had bout 10 motos on it. The new piston installed with .025 squish produces 180lbs comp. one more question is there a difference between air cooled and water cooled pistons? I actually ordered a oem single piston ring kit as well as a mallossi one from you this morning just in case.

hotquads1
10-06-2012, 08:34 AM
air-cooled and L/Cooled use same pistons. The oem piston kit is not single ring, the malossi piston is single ring.

Tim kapopoulos
10-06-2012, 08:59 AM
Yikes gonna need two malossi then. The picture threw me .:ermm:

hotquads1
10-06-2012, 10:20 AM
is this a stock crank ? 10mm ? malossi piston is 12mm, give me a call Monday and I will confirm the correct need.
Marc 344-705-0084

Tim kapopoulos
10-06-2012, 11:13 AM
I measured the wrist pin and it is definitely 10 mm the inside of the single ring piston says Sencher. my invoice from last year says aftermarket Crank. when I look look down in the case I see a blue full circle type crank ... I guess but definitely 10 mm

Tim kapopoulos
10-06-2012, 11:13 AM
I measured the wrist pin and it is definitely 10 mm the inside of the single ring piston says Sencher. my invoice from last year says aftermarket Crank. when I look look down in the case I see a blue full circle type crank ... I guess but definitely 10 mm