PDA

View Full Version : brakes, 1st time

D3structive
10-05-2012, 02:47 PM
I'm doing my brakes for the first time, new front pads and fluid, the fluid is old. I read a couple posts on here about methods and im going to try pumping and tying tight for an overnight sit. should I take the bladder and seat out of the reservoir when doing this? if it doesn't work then ill go to the syringe method

punk rock kiel
10-05-2012, 03:16 PM
from what i learned....open both bleeders and pump til fluid comes out. then close them and do one side. make sure you are able to get full pumps and bottom out the master cylinder or its not gonna work right. pump slow too cause air bubbles will come up the line thru the master.
ive never had an issue with doing it like that.

powerbomb400
10-05-2012, 05:55 PM
This is how I do mine. I take the cap off the reservoir and open the bleed off on one side of the front brakes. The brake fluid will start dripping out. Keep the reservoir filled and drain till the fluid comes out clear. Close bleed off and then do the otherwise the same way. Don't pump the brake handle or it will bring air into the lines. Also don't let the reservoir run out of brake fluid ir air will get into the lines. It don't long to do.

CJM
10-05-2012, 06:21 PM
Easiest way is to use a vacuum brake bleeder.

Only other method I would recommend is to use a syringe filled with break fluid and push it out the bleeder into the master.

You will never be able to bleed them like a car, the master doesnt have enough volume.

NacsMXer
10-06-2012, 09:43 AM
The fastest most effective method I have ever used to bleed the brakes was the reverse bleed method using a big syringe.

I got a bunch of catheter tip syringes from a local veterinary supply outfit and made sure that I could fit the proper size hose for the bleeders on the tip.

Make sure the reservoir cap and bladder is off on the master cyl. Then I filled a cup with fresh fluid and drew it up into the syringe. You will quickly notice that the fluid will fall out of the syringe if you don't keep it vertical...so have it hovering over a cup to catch the spills. It's the same as if you were holding fluid in a straw with your finger on the end.

Next attach the hose from the syringe and crack the bleeder open. Apply steady pressure to the plunger. There will be a lot of resistance but it will slowly push the fluid in. Just before the syringe runs out of fluid, close the bleeder and go refill the syringe. Repeat the process for both sides.

You will have to keep an eye on the fluid level in the master cylinder to make sure it doesn't over flow. Use the syringe to empty it from time to time as you go. You will notice the air bubbles being pushed UP in the direction they want to travel out the master cylinder. It is a lot more efficient than trying to suck the bubbles out down through the calipers.

You should get a firm brake lever right away using this process. You can even use the old trick of strapping the lever to the bar overnight if you want when you're done.

D3structive
10-07-2012, 06:15 PM
Thanks for all your responses. My brake job was a success and was very easy...took me about 30 minutes in total. what i did was make sure both side banjos were tight and the bleeder at the master was also tight and pumped varying my speed for about 30 mins working out the air as the fluid was pumped down into system. after the brakes were just about rock solid I tied my lever to the bar to sit overnight just in case anything was trapped that didn't get worked out. I ran the bike today for about 4 hours with no issues at all on the brakes, they remained rock solid. thanks for all your inputs.