PDA

View Full Version : 07 250 Starter/Electrical Hell

hondariderdylan
10-03-2012, 10:24 PM
About 6 months ago the 250's starter began to give me trouble, it would only spin the motor over if i hit it with something or a rolled it around in gear for 5 minutes until the starter found a spot where it wanted to spin. So i went on ebay and found a used OEM starter and ordered it. Bolted it up and my troubles were gone.

Yesterday i went out to find that my key had been left on while my dad was moving it and the battery was dead, so i put it on the battery charger for a little bit and came back to try and start it. It didnt have enough juice and it just clicked. I tried it once more, same result. So i pulled the battery out and took it to my friends house and put it on the trickle charger until it was topped off. I came back, threw the battery in and......... same thing. Clicking, no spinning. Hit the starter and it will turn over slowly a few times and then more clicks.

Now i know trying to crank some cars and trucks without a fully charged battery will fry the starter, and the quads battery has NEVER been dead as long as i have owned it (since new). Did i fry the starter i just bought?
Any help is appreciated.

powerbomb400
10-04-2012, 05:26 PM
First thing I would do is make sure all the connections are clean. Sounds like its either that or you need a new battery.

hondariderdylan
10-05-2012, 12:32 AM
It started perfectly up until the day that the battery was killed. So im sure the connections are all good. But i will double check them. Whats the best way to test the battery?

powerbomb400
10-05-2012, 04:13 AM
I've had the battery on my wife's 250ex start fine to put it on the trailer then get to Windrock and the battery went south. Lucky there is a shop not far from the parking lot that had one.

hondariderdylan
01-24-2013, 09:08 PM
A very slow update because im broke, factory starter and the replacement starter i bought were both shot. The brushes were almost completely gone. Went and bought a brand new starter, now it needs a solenoid. Will post back soon:scary: