PDA

View Full Version : Slit The Sidewall On My Tire. Options?

cheater13
10-03-2012, 07:12 AM
I got pretty much new razrs for my 400ex and went riding last weekend and slit the sidewall. We plugged it one time and put around 4psi in it and it popped out when i was riding.

So we called it a day and went home and plugged it with a better plug and put around 6-7psi in them and they were fine but balloon-like which i don't like.

My question is if i lower the psi to around 3-4 where the tread is all flat and not balloon-like, will the plug pop out of the sidewall? I been told it would pop out if i had that low of psi in the tires and went to drift or do donuts since my tire flexes in. I just don't like the balloon like look on my razrs. Plus, the tread will wear unevenly.

ish416
10-03-2012, 08:05 AM
Typically if you gash the sidewall the tire is junk.

Sometimes you can put a tube in it. Usually when doing that, the tube will get pinched or rub and start leaking air after a while.

Scro
10-03-2012, 09:03 AM
You can always try vulcanizing the hole, if you have someone close that can do it. Or if you wanted to use it as an excuse to improve your traction and ride quality, you could go the tireball route.

on the rocks
10-03-2012, 09:41 AM
The idea of not liking the lok of a ballon tire is bearly a problem. The main problem is the loss of traction when there pumped up that hard.

Next its just a 4 wheeler you can plug the sie wall, unlike a car its not life or death when it pops out or if it does. I have pluged sidewalls before by putting in 3 plugs and its still holding air

If the noremal tire pulg keeps working out I would go to an actual ture shop and get a patch/plug combo deal. It go in home from the inside and has a big patch on the inside. That big patch on the inside will keep it from falling out and it helps seal. Then the plugh that sticks out the slit will help seal also.

HondaRacing83
10-03-2012, 01:56 PM
i had a 6inch gash in my stock tire and i didnt have money at the time because i was like 12 so itd be 3years ago so my grandpa plugged, patched and put a tube in it and worked perfect

powerbomb400
10-03-2012, 02:27 PM
Plug it and use glue when you do. It will be alright like that and run your normal air pressure.

Longdong
10-03-2012, 04:15 PM
Plug it and you could use pool noddles.....

bcleveland
10-03-2012, 04:58 PM
Take it to your local tire shop and ask them to put a patch on it or whats called a boot its basically a thicker stronger patch. I took one the other day it cost me 6 bucks to get fixed and problem solved. Plugging is not the way to go especially with a sidewall hole.

toomanytoys
10-03-2012, 05:28 PM
I've never had any luck with plugging side wall tears. A puncture yes, but a tear....

You might get it to hold for a bit, maybe forever. But its always going to be in the back of your mind when you are riding if its going to reopen.

Personally I'd bite it and just buy a new tire. A 100 bucks or risk having your riding ruined by a bad tire? A 100 isn't that much cash these days.

cheater13
10-04-2012, 10:16 AM
Well i didn't like the look plus the traction i was getting. I didn't really want to put a tube in if i didn't have to either.

But i think i'll take you guys' advice and take it off the wheel and put a patch on the inside and then plug it and put alittle glue on the plug too. Then i'll clean it up so it don't look bad.\

I don't think i'm going to spend another 100 bucks on a tire cause that's alot for me especially trying to afford gas for my truck. Takes most of the paycheck away. :p

bcleveland
10-04-2012, 03:43 PM
Like I said if you have a tire shop close they will break it down off the wheel patch it from the inside and reseat it. Mine only charged me $6.00 and all the work was on the inside you cant tell it from the outside.

quad2xtreme
10-04-2012, 05:25 PM
why would you patch a tire from the inside and then plug it? Saw multiple posts stating this.

I've had 1 1/2" long tears in the sidewall and patched from the inside. In fact, I had the same thing happen to me with one of the front Razr 2s the first time I rode on them new.

The radial patches are thicker. If you have the tools, you can do it yourself pretty easily.

on the rocks
10-04-2012, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
why would you patch a tire from the inside and then plug it? Saw multiple posts stating this.

there is a patch plug combo. it looks like a big rubber thumb tack that you put through the in side to the out side.

bcleveland
10-04-2012, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme

I've had 1 1/2" long tears in the sidewall and patched from the inside. In fact, I had the same thing happen to me with one of the front Razr 2s the first time I rode on them new.

The radial patches are thicker. If you have the tools, you can do it yourself pretty easily.
I was wondering the same thing. I think plugs look terrible. Thats just my opinion. Thats why I recomended the patch in the first place. Hwe said they were new tires so I didnt think he would want some sloppy looking plug hanging out.

cheater13
10-05-2012, 10:21 AM
Alright, i'll take the tire to a tire shop tomorrow and see if they can do the patch for me. Thanks for all the help guys!

on the rocks
10-05-2012, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by bcleveland
I was wondering the same thing. I think plugs look terrible. Thats just my opinion. Thats why I recomended the patch in the first place. Hwe said they were new tires so I didnt think he would want some sloppy looking plug hanging out.

lil @ "looks terrible" because thats what hes putting a plug in there for, the looks of it lol. i think it holding air is the main point.