PDA

View Full Version : Towing ideas - need help

redonkulousruntsracing
10-02-2012, 10:10 AM
I know this is off topic for this forum, but we all can relate, and someone prolly has some good input.
I want to talk about how we get to the track, possibly the most expensive part of a race weekend. I will tell you what I have and I am looking for ideas that might help me save some cash getting to the track, and please no brand bashing or foolishness.

I have a 08 GMC 2500HD 6.0L gasser/ 6 speed auto 4x4, and I tow an 18' enclosed trailer. First about the truck; it has stock 3.5" exhaust without a muffler, a Trifecta Performance computer tune, cold air intake, 33" tires and 3:73 gears. I get around 7-8 mpg towing, which kills me in the wallet. My trailer is an older 18' Car-Mate enclosed with a totally flat nose. I usually have a 350 gallon water tank in the bed of the truck (empty). The trailer loaded weighs 6000 lbs. I think its the big flat surface area acting as a sail that is killing my mileage, if a gust of wind kicks up, I drop 5 mph instantly.

Thing I am thinking about trying to help my MPG:
-Install long tube headers with converter deletes to help in the torque department.
-A supercharger, I know it would help with power, but dont think it would help mileage
-A cam swap, something with more torque at 2000-2500rpm
-Possible gearing swap, I am running 33" tall tires now, stock were 245/75r16 which are about 30.5" tall. Thinking about going from the stock 3:73's to 4:10's or maybe even 4:56's
-I've seen the "bubbles" on the front of flat face trailers and was wondering if they make any difference.

Any possible ideas would be helpful, I need to save some cash on my traveling, I spent triple my travel budget this year. I would love to get a new Duramax GMC, but that is a couple years off right now. Lets hear how you roll!

10-02-2012, 10:49 AM
Don't install any of those aftermarket parts. Slow down when you are towing and save your money for a real tow rig, one with a diesel. Period.

trailrider894
10-02-2012, 11:06 AM
Get a Diesel Two Rig... your just wasting money as it is. The duramax will get twice that in mileage and not have any struggles towing whatever you put behind it.

Fred55
10-02-2012, 11:14 AM
This summer I put a hitch on my 2007 BMW 335i and have been using it to haul my RM125 on a 4x8 Trailer.

Hitch specs say 2000lb max load and 200lb tongue weight. I am well below both of those with my bike. To the track I do 60 mph and have been getting 27 mpg.

It's a 3.0L twin turbo straight six with 300hp and 300ft lb of torque, you barely can tell the trailer is there except for super windy days.

quadrcr161
10-02-2012, 11:43 AM
agreed with the above, dont mod your truck, it will cost in down time, tuning and make it less reliable, save your money and pick up a diesel, add a chip, your done. if your dont need 4x4 get a 2wd, my f250 gets around 21mpg. also pick up an open trailer if you dont need an enclosed or lighten your trailer up by removing things you know you wont need.

chucked
10-02-2012, 12:07 PM
go back to stock everything, Everything you've done has made it worse, everything you listed will make it even more worse

blacknblue#2
10-02-2012, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by trailrider894
The duramax will get twice that in mileage and not have any struggles towing whatever you put behind it.

Between me, my dad and My brother we have owned ford and chevy, gas and diesel. While you will be alot better off towing with a diesel dont let anyone convince you that you can buy a diesel and pull any load you wanna pull effortlessly.. Too many guys are fed that story and are disappointed when they put the first 20K load behind their new diesel and realize their truck DOES know the load is back there...We haul alot of farm equipment everywhere. Put one of these behind a diesel and drag it through WV without any struggles lol

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t207/aerospac/International%20Harvester%20Pics/015.jpg

Thumpin440ex
10-02-2012, 12:59 PM
Every one of these guys couldn't be more wrong. You have the rite mind set if you want to mod your truck. With out a doubt it will cost you money, esp for the blower, cam swap. However you could make a SAFE RELIABLE 500hp+, TQ with a cam and blower. Your best bet is to come on over to performancetrucks.net We can set you strait if you are looking to go that route. A magnuson blower- mp122- TVS-19-2300 would be the blower for down low power, a comp 212-218 low lift would work excellent. Both proven set ups. The LT's headers will help it breath. You would need to get a custom pcm tune, not a junk hand held. My truck is my DD it makes over 600 hp, goes mid 11's down the track. Just saying. A diesel is 99% of the time the best choice for constant towing, but can be done with the correct gas set up. Gears def wouldn't be a bad idea either.

John

chucked
10-02-2012, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Thumpin440ex
Every one of these guys couldn't be more wrong. You have the rite mind set if you want to mod your truck. With out a doubt it will cost you money, esp for the blower, cam swap. However you could make a SAFE RELIABLE 500hp+, TQ with a cam and blower. Your best bet is to come on over to performancetrucks.net We can set you strait if you are looking to go that route. A magnuson blower- mp122- TVS-19-2300 would be the blower for down low power, a comp 212-218 low lift would work excellent. Both proven set ups. The LT's headers will help it breath. You would need to get a custom pcm tune, not a junk hand held. My truck is my DD it makes over 600 hp, goes mid 11's down the track. Just saying. A diesel is 99% of the time the best choice for constant towing, but can be done with the correct gas set up. Gears def wouldn't be a bad idea either.

John

Did you read his post? He wants to have better mpg

redonkulousruntsracing
10-02-2012, 01:13 PM
Thumpin440ex, I have it posted in the GM 8 lug performance section.

Funny, my last race quad was a 440 big bore 400ex.

Thumpin440ex
10-02-2012, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by chucked
Did you read his post? He wants to have better mpg

Gas mileage comes with efficiency. You can technically make more hp/tq thus resulting in a more efficient engine. More hp/tq will move things easier then less will. More hp/tq under the curve can be had at much less throttle. Pcm calibrations are so bottle necked from the factory it is pathectic, timing tables, fueling tables can be opened up, made more efficient. It can and has been done.

John

CJM
10-02-2012, 02:45 PM
1. Your trailers a giant brick going the down the road, creating HUGE wind drag. Thats why many have v nose trailers as it diverts the wind better.

2. Its a gas truck, the 6.0 is not known for good mpg at all. I have a 6.0 gmc 1 ton work van that barely gets 10-12mpg in town if I am lucky. Its loaded down with about 2500lbs all the time too.

3. Modding it you MIGHT see an increase in mpg of maybe at the absolute best 5mpg. I would venture to say your gonna see 2mpg more likely. So the cost vs reward is pointless. Your truck stock gets maybe 12mpg in town and maybe 15hwy at best.

4. A diesel will get much better mpg overall due to efficiency. The torque curve is much different and allows for a much better take off from idle and thus less effort to ghet up to speed. Getting up to speed is when your in the throttle, not cruising at 60mph on the hwy.

5. WHY do you have an empty watertank in the truck. GET RID OF IT unless you need it-more wind drag.

Basically wind drag is killing you. I would look for a lighter v nose trailer and remove all unnecessary weight from your load. Also put the stock tire size back on as with the larger tires the truck has to work harder to move them. Swapping gears might help slightly, but when your not loaded or possibly could be over geared it will be a problem.

I suggest you go find yourself a diesel, preferably a ford or if you can find a dodge cummins with a 5 speed (no autos!!!). Dirtymax is crap.

Nac's22
10-02-2012, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Dirtymax is crap.

Generally I agree with what you say on here but can you give me some examples as to why a Duramax is crap? I'm not looking to bash anyone, just want an honest opinion.

And to the op, you can mod the truck and see minimal gains, I went down the same road with my gas truck. I picked up a diesel and haven't looked back. In stock form a diesel is superior to a modded gas truck in towing. My diesel gets the same mpg while towing that my Hemi did just cruising.

CJM
10-02-2012, 09:29 PM
Injector issues, headgasket issues on the older ones, problems with emissions stuff clogging up stuff causing horrible mpg, egr failures, etc.

Im sorry to say it seems almost everything these days they cut corners. About the only diesel engines I would buy are the old 7.3L, 12V with stick (rest of the truck still sucks imho) or a 6.0 thats had the HG fixed.

Seems all the auto makers really cut corners badly these days with thier stuff. Tons of issues.

TacicalRedneck
10-03-2012, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by CJM
Injector issues, headgasket issues on the older ones, problems with emissions stuff clogging up stuff causing horrible mpg, egr failures, etc.

Im sorry to say it seems almost everything these days they cut corners. About the only diesel engines I would buy are the old 7.3L, 12V with stick (rest of the truck still sucks imho) or a 6.0 thats had the HG fixed.

Seems all the auto makers really cut corners badly these days with thier stuff. Tons of issues.

Yep, my old 12 valve is pretty much stock, 4" straight pipe and took the turbo silencer ring off. Gets wonderful milage towing and just driving it.... its got power...

I wouldnt mind an 03.5-05 24 valve cummmins though, with the 6 speed. 6 speed would suit you better for towing, there is a big jump from 2nd,3rd, to 4th on the 5 speed.

But i agree with the above, cant go wrong with a diesel. (Cummins, :D)

quad2xtreme
10-03-2012, 08:33 AM
My 2003 Silverado Duramax has 155,000 miles. I've had the injectors replaced twice now...at 100k miles and about 150k miles. It isn't a cheap repair...running about $3,600 each time. I go 50k miles about every 36 months so I just put $100 a month into an injector fund to cover the repair when it comes up every 3 years. Other than that, no major repair bills. Sounds expensive but on the otherhand $100 a month compared to a new truck payment isn't bad. I didn consider getting rid of this for a gas model but in didn't make sense in economic terms because I was just trading more $$$ at the pump versus paying for injector replacement.

With a Edge Evolution chip, open exhaust, and airbox mod (altogether ran $1,200), I get about 3.5 mpg better in fuel. Over the next 50k miles, I will save about $2,400 in fuel costs. I just did this mod at the same time I got the injectors done at 150k miles.

I get 24 mpg hauling *** on long trips with no load now. I get 22 mpg around town now. I get 14 mpg pulling 7,500 lb trailer.

I've had offers from others with newer trucks willing to trade for mine with the known injector issues. They basically feel comfortable doing the repair themselves so it cuts the repair to about $2,000. Apparently there are enough good things about this engine versus the newer ones with all the emission issues, etc.

I could go pay cash for a new truck today but I am thrifty. I don't get caught up in the hype of needing to impress anyone by having the latest and greatest. I plan to run this truck into the ground. It is still in great shape and ding free.

You really have to build a spreadsheet to determine what is truly going to provide the most financial benefit. Much to consider in terms of insurance, repairs, mileage, gas versus diesel costs, longevity, and how many miles you travel a year empty and how many you travel pulling a trailer. The numbers are going to be different for everyone...and you have to take into account you already own what you own.

redonkulousruntsracing
10-03-2012, 09:07 AM
Quad2xtreme; I hear you.
That is why I am asking people for advise. I would love to go buy a brand-new GMC Duramax. I want one bad, but I don't see spending another $250 a month on a truck to try and save some money.
That's why I am planning on doing the mods like the long tube headers, gears and the bubble nose on the front of my trailer. Not towing the trailer, my truck drives awesome, its that 8x8 foot flat front brick that I tow is the major problem. Its not the weight, empty its a ***** to tow. So I figure if I can can boost the torque at 1800-2500 rpm increase the aerodynamics of my trailer, maybe I can get 2-3 MPG, and that would help out big time. Cost to do these mods will run me $1500-2000. A lot cheaper than a $55000 truck. Sure I could buy a used one, but I don't like buying some else's problem, I try to buy what I want new and keep it,for many years.

10-03-2012, 10:52 AM
I tow my 28' enclosed trailer with my Chevy Silverado with a diesel engine at 65 mph and get 14-15 mpg. I get 18-20 mpg empty. Let's see any gas engine in a 3/4 or 1 ton truck come close to that. Plus they won't tow nearly as well as a diesel will.

Diesel engines were made to tow. They make ALL their torque in the lower rpm ranges, right where you are going to be towing. The only way you are going to tow any heavy load with a small block gas engine is to spin the hell out of it = terrible fuel economy. Gas engines just don't make any torque down low, I don't care what mod you do to it.

Do not re-gear your truck, it would be a complete waste of money.

Do not take Thumpin440ex's advice and try to build a reliable 500 hp 6.0 engine FOR TOWING. Good luck with that.

SAVE YOUR MONEY FOR A TRUCK THAT WAS BUILT FOR TOWING, A DIESEL.

And you keep mentioning wanting a brand new GMC. Why not look for a nice used truck that is maybe a couple years old?

Honda5
10-03-2012, 11:23 AM
Yea with fuel prices, service and repairs there is not a great savings with the diesel. UPS is now going back gas for there delivery trucks after they found out that they were more expensive in the long run.

10-03-2012, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Honda5
Yea with fuel prices, service and repairs there is not a great savings with the diesel. UPS is now going back gas for there delivery trucks after they found out that they were more expensive in the long run.

A 3/4 or 1 ton truck with a diesel will EASILY make up any cost difference in the fuel with the better fuel economy it will get, towing or empty. The difference in price for gasoline vs diesel fuel is only about 10% anyway, not much at all. The difference in fuel economy between a gas engine and a diesel engine in the same truck is usually more than that.

Diesel engines make twice as much torque in a far more useable rpm range than a gas engine in the same truck. They get better fuel economy than a gas engine. You will have a more enjoyable towing experience driving a diesel truck than a gas truck.

I can't believe anyone would even begin to debate gas vs diesel when talking about real trucks (3/4 or 1 ton) that are used for towing.

See a lot of Peterbilt's and Kenworth's with gas engines?

10-03-2012, 01:24 PM
However, to the OP:

As far as maximizing the towing performance of your 2500HD with a gas engine:

Lose the heavier, wider, taller 33's. They are hurting you. Go with a nice all season LT265/75/16 or equivalent size tire (not sure if you have 16" wheels?), just make sure it is a Load Range E tire. Keep the pressures up while towing, too, 60 psi front and 80 psi rear is common.

Make sure the tire pressures are up on the trailer as well. Most trailer tires will call for 50 psi. Keep them there and check them often. Grease the trailer wheel bearings regularly with a quality high speed grease. The easier your trailer rolls the easier it will be to tow it. Check the torque on the lug nuts while you're back there, too. Can never be too safe.

Don't go too fast while towing. I tow at 60-65 mph on the highway and feel that is plenty fast enough with a big trailer behind me. The faster you go, the more fuel you will use.

With your 6 speed auto trans and 6.0 engine, your best bet is to find a speed you are comfortable with, then find what gear keeps your rpm around 2200 or so, give or take about 200 rpm. Then just keep the trans in that gear. You should have an "M" mode on your shifter, just select that and choose probably either 4th or 5th gear and leave it there when towing. You'll never find 6th anyway. With your engine, anything less than 2000 rpm and you don't have enough torque to keep the transmission from kicking down at least a gear when you hit even the slightest grade. Anything more than 2400 rpm and you're just using too much fuel.

Your trans will be a lot happier when it's not downshifting all the time to try to maintain your speed. Hope my explanation there wasn't too confusing.

Honda5
10-03-2012, 01:32 PM
If you were hauling all the time it might be a slight advantage but the service is over 3x the cost. I drive a diesel 5 days a week would rather drive my v10 and get 2 less miles per gallon any day

quadrcr161
10-03-2012, 02:10 PM
If you were hauling all the time it might be a slight advantage but the service is over 3x the cost. I drive a diesel 5 days a week would rather drive my v10 and get 2 less miles per gallon any day

what service? yea the oil change is $100 but what else is there? the longevity of the diesel will outlast the gasburner every time. a gas burner with 300k miles will be needing a new motor unlike the diesel, even properly maintained. the gasburner just isnt designed for that kind of consistent load.

10-03-2012, 02:38 PM

Lol. Yeah ok.

What service are you talking about that costs 3x as much on a diesel? It costs me about $60 for an oil and filter change on my truck, and that's because I use Rotella T6 oil. Good luck getting a full synthetic oil change on your V10 for much less than that.

And what kind of diesel do you have that only gets 2 mpg better than your V10???

Honda5
10-03-2012, 03:19 PM
That's my point $100 for oil change? Fuel filter? Injector service?
Back to the UPS they would not go back to gas if it wasn't a savings for. That's all they know they count how many steps it is to a house and now count how many feet you back up! They wax the planes to the air better.
But 8686 was right on about tire pressure weight speed and rotating weight

Honda5
10-03-2012, 03:37 PM
We have jacked this thread enough so I'm out but if someone wants to continue discussing it put up another thread.

quad2xtreme
10-03-2012, 04:10 PM
Putting a diesel in a UPS truck is like pulling a 10,000 lb trailer with a train locomotive...just not necessary. They don't pull much weight at all in a UPS truck.

lonnie1977
10-03-2012, 07:35 PM
Buy a cap to direct wind over your trailer rather then the wind just hitting the front wall. Alot cheaper then a new truck or super charger. Im not sure about results but I have known people to do it.

http://www.4are.com/product/tw/

10-05-2012, 07:54 AM
That's my point $100 for oil change? Fuel filter? Injector service?
Back to the UPS they would not go back to gas if it wasn't a savings for. That's all they know they count how many steps it is to a house and now count how many feet you back up! They wax the planes to the air better.
But 8686 was right on about tire pressure weight speed and rotating weight

I just talked to the UPS guy that has been delivering to the dealership that I work at for a long time. He said he hasn't heard of any of their fleet changing from diesel to gasoline trucks. He said some of the inner city trucks might be changing to NATURAL GAS, but not gasoline. All of the trucks that he drives are diesel.

I knew that didn't make any sense for UPS to change from the more efficient and longer running diesel engine to a gasoline dog.

lonnie1977
10-05-2012, 08:18 AM
Quite a few of the UPS trycks here are Hybrid's now

Honda5
10-05-2012, 08:28 AM
Tell him to check with automotive. I have worked at UPS for 27 years. I you want more info give me a email and I can send you over more info.
If you want you can check on line about the natural gas motors that they were using 7 or 8 years ago in the DC area but haven't heard anything about it for a long time.
What dealership charges $60 for a oil change on a diesel ?
Forbes had a article a few months back about diesel versus gas in a cost of ownership check it out
I'm not bashing diesels just stating facts. They are great for the torque but like I said if you are not pulling alot its not cost effective

10-05-2012, 09:05 AM
Tell him to check with automotive. I have worked at UPS for 27 years. I you want more info give me a email and I can send you over more info.
If you want you can check on line about the natural gas motors that they were using 7 or 8 years ago in the DC area but haven't heard anything about it for a long time.
What dealership charges $60 for a oil change on a diesel ?
Forbes had a article a few months back about diesel versus gas in a cost of ownership check it out
I'm not bashing diesels just stating facts. They are great for the torque but like I said if you are not pulling alot its not cost effective

I work in the service department at a Chevrolet dealership. We are less than $60 out the door for a diesel oil change.

fastredrider44
10-05-2012, 11:07 AM
I have an 8.1 2500HD and it pulls great. I can buy a LOT of gas for how much cheaper I bought my truck than a Duramax. Also, the 300,000 mile thing is kinda irrelevant anyway. MOST trucks are dead by that time anyway. I've seen a 1 million mile truck before, not to say that it can't happen, but in reality, most trucks don't live that long, diesel or not.

blacknblue#2
10-05-2012, 12:00 PM
I do have to chuckle a little bit about the gas/diesel debate. Even though im fairly young at 25 my dad has always had diesel trucks since before i was born. His first was when ford first introduced the 6.9 in 1982. But i can still remember as a kid all the other guys giving dad a hard time. "Why you wanna drive those old diesels? Noisey slow things, hard to start in the winter...454 be all the truck ya ever need and always start in the winter" I remember dad always saying "ahh aint a bad engine as long as ya keep good glowplugs in them in the winter" Man how the tables have turned and in my opinion ford started all this in 94 when they introduced the true direct injection "Powerstroke" not the old turbo charged 7.3 that they were calling slapping powerstroke badges on in early 94. And talk about another turn around....Chevrolet woulda been out of the 3/4 and 1 ton business if it wasnt for the Duramax. The old 6.5 dam sure wasnt gonna compete with a powerstroke or any cummins lol

redonkulousruntsracing
10-05-2012, 12:46 PM
Wow, way to get off topic.
I don't care if UPS trucks run on cat farts!

CJM
10-05-2012, 06:34 PM
Theres a reason everyone has swapped to diesels anyways-better fuel economy, longer lasting drivetrains and although service is $ it doesnt need to be done as often.

Gas truck you gotta do a timing belt, have an inordinate amount of stupid sensors that can fail, oil changes every 3-5k, etc, etc, etc.

Diesel. What change the glow plugs, do the injectors every 100k, maybe rebuild the turbo. All at the same time your getting more mpg.

I work in the towing industry-NO ONE has a gas truck anymore unless your a poor fool or hardly use it your truck. Everyone has a diesel, light duty to heavy duty they are all diesels.

Infact all the town trucks here are diesel, from pick ups to dumps to whatever. When was the last time you could buy a medium duty truck with a gas engine? Chevy offers one and it didnt sell really, ford and dodge dont make one.

KXRida
10-06-2012, 12:29 PM

John

While that is all good in theory you would need a pretty built transmission first off to hold the power alone, let alone the added stress of towing. I make just shy of 600hp in my powerstroke, but have almost twice that in torque. I usually drop to a safer tune when I tow heavy, but I'm still over the 500hp/1000ft lb mark and can safely tow. Hands down if you're towing, diesel is where it's at.

quad2xtreme
10-06-2012, 10:00 PM
I didn't have time to change my tune on the truck for tow mode...mine requires it to upload a bootstrap, you have to shut the truck off and then put into the on position and off position...it takes several minutes to reproram. So, I towed 1 hr to NCMP and 1 hr home in Performance mode. I was surprised to see I got 15.7 mpg in instead of the usual 14 mpg when I pull in tow mode. I did go ahead and engage the chevy switch for towing mode. I know the Edge Evolution isn't the best tuner on the market but I couldn't be happier with it, the exhaust, and the airbox mod.

KXRida
10-06-2012, 10:18 PM
Ppe and efi live are by far the way to go on a duramax. I have about 15 minutes worth of program time between tunes with my Spartan but no way would I tow heavy on a hot tune. Granted the edges performance tune is similar to my tow tune but you get the idea. Always hand calculate mileage especially when tuned. Rarely are the dash meters accurate when tuned.

quad2xtreme
10-07-2012, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by KXRida
Always hand calculate mileage especially when tuned. Rarely are the dash meters accurate when tuned.

I'll be able to figure out the real mileage when I haul to Hatfield next weekend which is 6 hours each way and I actually use a tank of fuel pulling the whole time. Just gauging from the relative nature of the dash meter, it adjusted by about 1.7 mpg using the performance tune. I couldn't run cruise control either. It allowed the truck to die down too much and then really dropped the tranny a couple of gears to "race" back up to the cruise setting. I could tell it didn't have quite the torque of the tow setting...but quite often I think that is set a little "too" tow for the weight I am hauling. I am betting there is a "tune" out there that would be perfect for me for hauling say just 5,000 lbs instead of 8,000 lbs.

extremeblastr
10-07-2012, 04:30 PM
thats where efi live is the big game changer on the duramax and thats the same hole somebody like jody at dp tuner fills for us powerstroke guys, a custom tow tune by someone whos good with that motor and been tuning a while will always out perform the out of the box tuners.

KXRida
10-07-2012, 05:10 PM
Innovative and gearhead make awesome tunes for strokers. I'm happy with my Spartan tunes but options are always good. The only tunes Spartan will support is rcd's.

Thumpin440ex
10-07-2012, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by KXRida
While that is all good in theory you would need a pretty built transmission first off to hold the power alone, let alone the added stress of towing. I make just shy of 600hp in my powerstroke, but have almost twice that in torque. I usually drop to a safer tune when I tow heavy, but I'm still over the 500hp/1000ft lb mark and can safely tow. Hands down if you're towing, diesel is where it's at.

The 6L80 trans is a pretty stout trans. They have been holding big power in the gm trucks in stock form. It isn't a theory it is fact. To the guy that told ya not to take my advice, he is pretty much in la la land, app has not been seeing what the ls platform is capable of. People have been making 1000 hp on stone stock bottom ends. I have driven a 6xx+ hp truck for over 3 years with out a single hiccup. Yes a gas truck would not be able to to as well as a diesel, but the ?? wasn't should I trade my gas truck for a diesel it was about him modding his in order to help in towing and in mpg. He is towing a 18ft trailer not a 36 ft boat that weights 10k lbs. Mention he will prob loose his *** trying to sell his truck in todays market, or even a trade in. You guys took it way off topic. FACT HE CAN HAVE A 500 HP SET UP AND BE RELIABLE AND TOW BETTER then he is doing now, and pick up some mpg.

John

KXRida
10-08-2012, 02:14 AM
I've seen numerous 6l80's Sh*t the bed with power added to them. Mainly the convertors and intermediate shafts. For the money he'll have in charging with supporting mods and additional mods I'm sure it would make up well beyond the difference of trading in for a diesel. Stock 6.4 bottom ends have been seen holding upwards of 1400hp. Regardless ill take a tuned diesel any day over a gasser when it comes to towing

quad2xtreme
10-08-2012, 06:08 AM
I am not sure you can do anything with your current setup that will get you where you want to be. Are you saying you will be in better financial position in two years and ready for a diesel then? I am with others in saying go back to stock tires.

I am in the camp of just leaving it alone for two years unless you really drive alot of miles in a year. Even then, maybe a car to go along with your truck? You married? We have a 2004 turbo diesel VW Beetle for my wife. We drive it quite a bit...even on trips up to about 3 hrs in length. I am not sure how big the scope of your current budget is...do you just have a "race" budget that you are exceeding or are you exceeding your total travel budget?

The last thing is maybe nothing is wrong but your budget is off. I often analyze budgets when I am told such and such is exceeding budget. My first question is how did you determine your budget? Was it based on prior experience? Just something to consider is to adjust your budget and not the truck. I know you are looking for mods that will result in immediate cash in your pocket.

I have a friend who runs propane in his diesel truck...gets crazy mileage in the high 20's...albeit he lies too and his dick is twice as big as everyones so don't take this as gospel. You might want to check into some type of propane conversion. His runs both diesel and then somehow is switches or propane is added. I do know his truck will smoke mine and mine runs 0-60 in 6 seconds.

long-term might be an aluminum trailer. I didn't opt to go this way when I bought mine (I spent about $7,500 on a 24 X 8.5' with 7' high ceiling and flat front like yours). I wish I would have just gone all aluminum. I just never realized how long I would keep the trailer and often often we do pull long distances.

10-09-2012, 09:18 PM
The 6L80 trans is a pretty stout trans. They have been holding big power in the gm trucks in stock form. It isn't a theory it is fact. To the guy that told ya not to take my advice, he is pretty much in la la land, app has not been seeing what the ls platform is capable of. People have been making 1000 hp on stone stock bottom ends. I have driven a 6xx+ hp truck for over 3 years with out a single hiccup. Yes a gas truck would not be able to to as well as a diesel, but the ?? wasn't should I trade my gas truck for a diesel it was about him modding his in order to help in towing and in mpg. He is towing a 18ft trailer not a 36 ft boat that weights 10k lbs. Mention he will prob loose his *** trying to sell his truck in todays market, or even a trade in. You guys took it way off topic. FACT HE CAN HAVE A 500 HP SET UP AND BE RELIABLE AND TOW BETTER then he is doing now, and pick up some mpg.

LJohn

Lol. That was me. A 500+ hp small block gas engine for towing? And it's more reliable than a stock engine for towing? And it gets better fuel economy? LOL.