PDA

View Full Version : 2nd gear?????????

MtnEX
10-01-2012, 08:18 PM
So tell me guys... does the ever-bullet proof 400EX have plaguing problems with 2nd gear?

I have never heard of this but a google search does bring up a little.

The reason I ask is that a good friend of mine had his go out on his 2012 bike. It just started popping and slipping in 2nd gear.

It was taken back to the Honda dealer and after some argument and a meeting over the warranty papers it was fixed under warranty.

First ride out he had to have me show him where some wires went on the cases, etc, and the second ride out the trans is apparently coming apart again.

I'm pretty confused. I have never seen a 400EX give trouble like this.

CJM
10-01-2012, 08:26 PM
Does your friend actually know how to use a clutch well? 2nd will go out when you false shift into neutral alot then smack it in.

I BEAT my 400 and its never given me an issue, I dont use the clutch as much as I should, I tend to match the rpms and let it suck it into gear.

actually I dont know anyone who had a trans go out and there are plenty of 400s still round.

dxcody
10-01-2012, 08:35 PM
Lets see, Russellroost (I think that is his name) just had his transmission mess up on his 2012 quad.

Marshal Goings had multiple transmissions go out on his 2012 400ex..

I just lost a tranny on my quad (2007) but I think that was MY FAULT.

On the 99-04 I haven't heard any troubles BUT I have heard quite a few newer quads having transmission problems.

dougyunker
10-02-2012, 08:13 AM
Mine went out on my 2008 during a XC race. Obviously racing is harder on equipment, but I haven't had a problem since I've fixed it.

ish416
10-02-2012, 08:42 AM
My 99 shifts much better than a friends 10 or 11 EX. He has been complaining and I have noticed that 2nd and 3rd gear on his are not smooth like they are on mine and every other EX I have rode.
It's like you have to force it into 2nd and 3rd gear.

He is also finding false neutrals and frequently popping out of gear.

Did Honda switch manufacturing or something recently on the newer EXs?

MtnEX
10-02-2012, 09:23 AM
^ That is what I am wondering right there.

I just ain't never heard of this. I mean gears wear out, but... this ain't a wear out thing... shift fork or something else it sounds like...

I got a deep gut feeling though that this 2nd trans problem is a result of something done wrong or something not replaced that should have been. It just did not instill much confidence in me when I had to show him where his wires hooked up because the dealer didn't do it.

I haven't been to check it out to hear it or anything, nor do I know if he would want to let me listen just for the sake of listening at this point... no telling, might cause more damage.

Anyways, he says he swears this time it felt like it went down in reverse when he down-shifted. Yet the knob was not turned and is working totally freely.

Might not have been that... the trans might have just locked up?

Anyways, the first time when 2nd gear went the thing was popping and slipping and popping out of gear and all kinds of stuff, only in 2nd gear.

I am just baffled by it all because I have never heard of 400EX trans problems.

powerbomb400
10-02-2012, 11:43 AM
I know at one time they had a recall about the spring being put in wrong in the tranny. the spring had something to do with the reverse gear.

jman7290
10-02-2012, 12:28 PM
Yeah there is a recall on the 05's slipping into reverse when down shifting. I have not had that issue with mine yet and hope not to. I hate to have any shop work on anything these days!

HondaRacing83
10-02-2012, 01:50 PM
my 05 shifts way better than my friends 12.