PDA

View Full Version : wants to trade me.. whats a mag. key?

theduke300
10-01-2012, 09:01 AM
Okay guys. I have an 87 banshee as some of you may know. Someone wants to trade me an 03 banshee. Already sounds kinda shady right?? He says all his bikeneeds is a magneto cotter key. Now is this the key that holds it on the shaft or? He says his fathers a mechanic and says this is what it is. Would this key keep it from firing? :confused:

265 sleeper
10-13-2012, 02:01 PM
Yes it would cause it to.not fire the flywheel is what turn withthe crank to create the spark.

bad-shee-581
11-02-2012, 03:15 AM
yes and no but if thats all thats needed its a cheap fix. Most times if its a sheared key its an after market key thats off set to advance the timing +©4 degrees which is a cheap way of advancing the timing versus a 49.98 to 60.00 timing plate that allows you to adjust your timing or some choose to mod their stock timing plate to advance timing
so i hope this helps.my question is why would someone want to trade you an a arm frame for a j arm frame?

Hondamaster5505
12-19-2012, 10:28 AM
Something sounds shady about this deal.. if that was all thats wrong he would be fixing it and not trading it for a banshee that's 13 years older... It sounds like a good excuse for it to not run when in reality it probably needs a top end rebuild and god knows what else. I would stay away unless he lets you pull the flywheel off in front of him to check and you do a compression test on it.

As far as the "why a-arm for j-arm" question,
I wouldn't ever think about trading my J-arm bike for an a-arm bike.. Yes the J-arms eat through bushings a lot faster, but they're actually a better handling setup. There's less sprung weight and the turning radius is a lot tighter then on an a-arm banshee.

With my +2+1 lonestar J-arms I would never look forward to an a-arm.