PDA

View Full Version : Lrd build

JOHNNY FIVE
09-30-2012, 11:33 PM
Has anyone ever used 04 05 spindles on an attitude frame?Im building one now,and I purchased a set of 400ex spindles and yfz calipers.So I mount the spindles and put the tires on,with the upper ball joints cranked all the way in,I'm cambered outward still on top.So I try my brothers 89 spindles and they work fine.So I can run 89 stockers.But was wondering if any has knowledge if the 04 05 work on this frame?

hawaiiysr
10-01-2012, 06:59 PM
It has nothing to do with the frame. Its all in the suspension parts your useing. Can you not adjust the lowers out?

JOHNNY FIVE
10-01-2012, 07:31 PM
No I can't adjust the lowers.There the fixed style laegers.I talked to Alan at ct and he told me its the king pin angle on the 400ex is too much for the lrd frame.He had one and the had the same problem.He told me to have Laeger build me a half in shorter shorter upper arms and I'm not doing that cause the ones I got are brand new.Or he said I could use the 88 89 stock spindles,which I tried this weekend and it cured the problem.If I measure my frame from a arm mount to a arm mount its three quarter in wider than my brothers stock frame and half in wider on the bottom.

hawaiiysr
10-02-2012, 01:21 AM
U know what now that i think about it your frame has the big tube aluminum. That may be why the frame measures different. I would figure the suspension mounts would be the same. Looks like your be useing the 89 spindles. Or like Alan said get shorter arms. What of you change the arms alltogether? Use a set that is totally adjustable.

JOHNNY FIVE
10-02-2012, 10:46 AM
I really don't want to have to purchase a whole nother set of a a arms.The ones have are brand new and if I try to sell to sell.I probably went get out what I paid for them.So I can do 89 spindles for sure.What I'm trying to figure out is the king pin angle from what I've been told,on 04 05 is 8 degrees and on the 89 it's 9 on the 400ex it's 12.So I'm thinking that 04 05 might work.Just want to no if anyone has tried them on a lrd yet to verify before I start buying more parts.

Meat
10-02-2012, 02:49 PM
I have a LRD Attitude and I'm using 400ex spindles and ARS-FX A-arms and my camber is perfect with plenty of room for adjustment.

I use '04-'05 spindles on my stock framed R with Roll Design's XC length arms and with this setup I have camber issues. I got her setup around 4 degrees of camber, which is a lot for the XC riding that I do, but if I go to 2 or 3 degrees of camber, then my upper ball joints need to be threaded out of the arms so far that it scares me. Even at 4 degrees of camber my upper ball joints are pretty far out of the arms. But.... I've put at least 80 hours on the Roll arms with '04-'5 spindles and haven't broke an upper ball joint yet. Mind you I don't jump it very often, but I do trail ride it as hard as I can. I've read of other guys having the same camber problem as I have with the 450R spindles.

JOHNNY FIVE
10-03-2012, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Meat
I have a LRD Attitude and I'm using 400ex spindles and ARS-FX A-arms and my camber is perfect with plenty of room for adjustment.

I use '04-'05 spindles on my stock framed R with Roll Design's XC length arms and with this setup I have camber issues. I got her setup around 4 degrees of camber, which is a lot for the XC riding that I do, but if I go to 2 or 3 degrees of camber, then my upper ball joints need to be threaded out of the arms so far that it scares me. Even at 4 degrees of camber my upper ball joints are pretty far out of the arms. But.... I've put at least 80 hours on the Roll arms with '04-'5 spindles and haven't broke an upper ball joint yet. Mind you I don't jump it very often, but I do trail ride it as hard as I can. I've read of other guys having the same camber problem as I have with the 450R spindles. By the way how did you mount your radiator.My bottom mounts are threaded.The top don't seem like they'll line up,but then again I don't have any of the hardware yet either.

Meat
10-03-2012, 08:00 PM
yep.... plan on fabbing up a lot brackets. The fat frame tubing is the reason. But brackets are easy and fun to make. Making the gas tank mounts were a pain in the asss.

JOHNNY FIVE
10-03-2012, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Meat
yep.... plan on fabbing up a lot brackets. The fat frame tubing is the reason. But brackets are easy and fun to make. Making the gas tank mounts were a pain in the asss. Higgy told me the trick with the tank mounts,which i tried and it worked.I turned the brackets the opposite way and they lined up with the head stay mounts.

Meat
10-04-2012, 01:59 PM
Yup, thats exactly what I did with my gas tank mounts. And I don't have the LRD head stay so I had to make one of those too.