PDA

View Full Version : Starter problems AGAIN !!!!

leager-n-ky
09-30-2012, 08:17 AM
Well its happening again, If i hold the starter button in, it will crank over for a couple of seconds then act like the battery is dead. Let off the the button, then just keep " bumping" the button, and it will eventually start. I just replaced the starter clutch, and the battery (new Lithium ), replaced the starter, and relay last year. Is there a way to check that relay ? or the power output of the starter itself ??? PLZZZZZZ HELP ME !!!!!!!!! lol

leager-n-ky
09-30-2012, 08:18 AM
the starter clutch was locked up, would not free spin

leager-n-ky
10-09-2012, 12:31 PM
ok, New starter clutch, new starter relay, new battery, new starter, and new starter button.

Try to turn it over, it acts like the battery is almost dead, take the spark plug out, it cranks like crazy?????????

The piston is only 10:1, it is new, along with new valves, and the timing is set correct?????????

ANY IDEAS ???????????????????????????????????????

jweidner
10-09-2012, 05:31 PM
Hello,

I would check voltage output going to starter when trying to crank engine over. You should have over 12 volts at starter terminal. Maybe has a bad positive cable or negative cable or not a good connection.

Maybe a long shot, but cdi could be going bad advancing timing when starting quad.

Both of these would crank well when plug is removed and hard when plug is in.

Once quad is running, take a timing light and unscrew sight plug that shows flywheel timing mark, check timing at idle. Should have 7 degrees.

Just my thoughts,
Precision MotorWorx

leager-n-ky
10-10-2012, 01:02 PM
only had 5.6 volts @ the starter, plus the starter " stuck " engaged, i think i may have the new starter button wired backwards, going to get some wire run new pos and neg, and see how it goes.. thanks

leager-n-ky
10-10-2012, 06:33 PM
untaped the wires, no bare or broken spots. pulled the plug, cranked over had 11.88 volts.
It has a custom ground Web Cam, i dont know the specs, i could not find anything on this one on their web site, My brother seems to think that the cam is TOO big, going to try swapping them out.

vondeister
10-15-2012, 08:30 AM
When we had ours, I put in a battery for a YFZ and had no issues, other than evey once and a while you would have to bump it to get a good crank. I always kept a battery tender on it in between rounds too.