PDA

View Full Version : Another cobra question

brysn424
09-30-2012, 07:06 AM
Hey guys. I need some info on clutch maintenance on a ecx 50. How often are u guys replacing stacks? Whole clutch? Cobra milk? I'm completely new to these bikes. Just wanting to know what kind of preventative maintenance I need to do. Thanks guys.

Cobra50Dad
09-30-2012, 07:40 PM
We run 3 shoe clutches sometimes. I usually change stacks every two races and shoes every 5-6 races. If it's a big race or a national I may change stacks every races and check clutches. As far as changing your clutches, I would watch for what they start getting a glossy look or slick feel. If you run them too long or have the wrong gearing, you can scorch the bell.

brysn424
10-01-2012, 09:47 AM
When u say races. Do u mean motos? Or u mean 2 trips to the track?

Cobra50Dad
10-01-2012, 11:34 AM
Yea I mean motos. Sorry. It's really a preference thing along with how much you want to spend on keeping clutches fresh.

brysn424
10-01-2012, 11:40 AM
Well. Not to worried about the money as I am lil man finishing the motos. Thanks for your time man!! Is there any where I can buy cobra milk by the case? Who sells it the cheapest? Same for clutch stacks? And clutch stacks in bulk? Also are these stacks sold in different sizes or weights that will affect the way the clutch hits? Thanks again man.

Cobra50Dad
10-01-2012, 12:00 PM
I buy all my stuff from Scott at Triple A. He seems to have the best deal on parts and ships fast. Stacks are sold one way but you can buy extra washers or take washers out to make the stacks hit at different rpms. We always run ours at the factory setting but others adjust them. It's kinda whatever hits the best with your quad. You can play with it a little to see what works best.

desratt
10-01-2012, 08:49 PM
Keep on top of changing the oil and these will last. I use the heath racing clutch instead of the 3 shoe. It is a disc type.

jay-r
10-07-2012, 02:13 PM
Clutch stacks, shoes, and drum wear are directly related to gearing, oil changes, and the rider's ability to carry speed. Gear for the track and your rider's ability. Slower riders need lower gearing. I have had clutch shoes last an entire season before. I measure my clutch shoes on the arbor. If they measure above 3.170" then they are good for old style shoes. New style shoes should be above 3.180. The clutch bells need to measure no larger than 3.320". Washer stacks are a matter of personal preference.

Ryko racing
10-16-2012, 02:46 PM
i learned a trick form a 3 time natl champ. general motors auto trac rear end fluid. we change it every two motos. its way cheaper and holds up fantastic. Clutch milk is junk.

ALSO, PUT A VENT TUBE ON THE COVER WITH A BREATHER UP UNDERTHE TANK TO LET THE HEAT OUT. IT SOUNDS CRAZY BUT THE SLIPPER GETS HOT AND SLIPS A LITTLE. THE COOLER THE BETTER.

OR IF YOU WANT TO BUY THE VENTED COVER CALL BUD MAIMONE
EXOTIC PERFORMANCE.