PDA

View Full Version : Oil cooler preasure

Drifterboy3
09-29-2012, 09:40 AM
I'm looking at an oversize cooler for my 400. And I read somewhere before that too big of a cooler will drop oil preasure. But I can't figure out why. Will this actually happen. I'm looking at a 12/7/.75 cooler

Zakradu398
09-29-2012, 10:32 AM
More oil= more weight for the pump to move. Can't do it as efficiently

JOHNDOE83
09-29-2012, 05:17 PM
The fact is that the longer fluid has to travel the less pressure it will have, also the bigger the line that the fluid travels through will also create less pressure.

I doubt that a slightly larger cooler will make enough difference to worry about, you could always test it by watching the flow from the return line on the stock system, then switching to the bigger cooler and watching the flow from that and comparing the two.

I say go with it and dont check, if the pressure was a issue the numerous people here with larger coolers would have run hotter instead of cooler and would have blown motors from failing oil systems.

Theres actually a few running dual coolers with no issues.

Drifterboy3
09-29-2012, 06:34 PM
So a little bigger with a fan is better than a much larger cooler

CJM
09-29-2012, 06:50 PM
Honestly I ride in sandy desert like conditions, like I keep saying its like a giant GNCC race. We generally ride hard at least 4 hours of the time. NEVER has my EX overheated. I hardly ever use my cooling fan. I did nab a larger oil tank just because, but even before it no issues. This summer was so unbearably hot and I didnt have any issues at all (90+F all day with near 90% humidity of worse)

2 things keep these machines cool: Air rushing over the engine and having the proper amount of fuel. You have the right amount of fuel going in there it wont burn up.

If I was to try and keep it cool:
-Larger oil tank
-Fan on the oil cooler.

Drifterboy3
09-29-2012, 10:22 PM
Well I'm trying to prep for this winter. I'm planning a major rebuild. High piston stage 3 cam 440 bore 450r carb. And maybe a stroker crank

CJM
09-29-2012, 10:36 PM
Id save the cash for the stroker setup and just do the standard 11:1 piston and stage 2 hotcam. If yours is stock now that will keep you very happy for some time.

ajw2685
09-30-2012, 08:12 AM
It seems during these types of conversations people always forget the biggest piece of the puzzle...

The oil itself.

There are more myths about oil in the 400EX/400X than there are facts.

CJM
09-30-2012, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by ajw2685
It seems during these types of conversations people always forget the biggest piece of the puzzle...

The oil itself.

There are more myths about oil in the 400EX/400X than there are facts.

Oil is oil, is some better than others-sure. But Im not paying 10/qt for royal purple or whatever.

The EX likes heavy oil as do most hondas, I run 15w-40 in mine, have also ran 15w-50 too with no issues. So long as your not running oil from 7-11 in your quad and its a wet clutch ok oil its fine. Changing it regularly is the key, if you dont change it overtime it will break down and not protect the moving parts its supposed to coat. IE my neighbors car he changed the oil 3x in 100k blew up (surprised it even lasted that long).

xtreme762
10-02-2012, 08:31 AM
Not really new info. about how changing the oil to frequently actually causes more harm than good in the internal combustion engine.

This is in part due to the different and more advanced metals created over time. As well as the technological advances in oils themselves.

The New York Times reports:
Oil Changes (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/11/your-money/11shortcuts.html?pagewanted=all)

Edmunds:
Oil Changes II (http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/stop-changing-your-oil.html)

Yes, one could argue that this is all OLD info.. However, still very relevant.

Also, synthetic oils do not break down over time. It doesn't have the chemical compositions that petroleum oils have that cause it to break down.

Synthetic Oil (http://www.jdpower.com/content/detail.htm?jdpaArticleId=208)

These are just what I found with a quick search. I'm positive that with more time, I could give a full explanation.

Synthetic oils are designed to NOT break down in high heat applications. Which is why they're great for our motors. But most don't like them due to the detergents used in them. Understandable, but really, is it worth the trade off? Most of our motors don't get carbon in the crank case. Maybe in the worse cases, yes.
But as long as the synthetic is for wet clutches. There shouldn't be any ill effects from using them. Just my opinion. Which WILL vary depending on who you talk too.

As for oil pressure; making sure you have a clean filter is going to have a major effect on pressure itself. As mentioned above, larger oil lines, and longer oil lines is going to have a large effect as well. Just having more oil in the tank isn't going to drop oil pressure to a level to be alarmed about. If it drops pressure at all.

The problem with having more oil in the tank than should be. Is the amount of room in the crankcase for the case to breathe. My grandfather told me a couple decades ago, that he would much rather his engines have 1/4qt less oil, than a 1/4qt more.

Good Luck.