PDA

View Full Version : Who has a big attached garage??

blacknblue#2
09-28-2012, 11:53 AM
Hey guys me and my wife our in the final stages of having our new house built. Its 60x27 (1620 sq ft) ranch on top of a basement. I grew with my dad having a 30x40 Shop a 72x54 barn and a small storage building so i have Always had a shop to work in and since moving out being without a garage close to me has killed me. When i take on big projects its always in dads or one of my best friends garage and that drives me nuts haha. Now that the house is done talks of a garage have come up. Of course she wants an attached garage cause "I dont wanna be unloading a baby and groceries in the freezing cold" But of course i want a detached garage for the size. So the idea come to me why not have both size and attached. We have the perfect land layout to do it and i was thinking of coming 9ft in front of the 27 foot wall and going out 30 feet. Basically attaching a 36x30 garage to the house. and it will brake the house up some from being a perfect rectangle. Most attached garages around here are SMALL thats why i always hated them but i dont see anything wrong with a good size attached garage so we can both be happy so i have to ask. Anyone else have a big attached garage and if so lets see it.

quad2xtreme
09-28-2012, 02:37 PM
I will try to send you a picture. There is a house not to far from me that is exactly like this.

/Jon

slightlybent47
09-28-2012, 08:11 PM
One thing to consider is your home owners insurance. An attached garage will make the insurance go up considerably. You might consider a covered breeze way that connects the two so the wife can walk without getting wet. Then there is the noise, you may want to work at night, so the farther away you are from the house the better.

blacknblue#2
09-29-2012, 04:18 AM
The noise i had thought about. I planned on putting the air compressor and that stuff in its own little shed attached to the outside of the outer wall farthest from the house then running steel air lines with couplings all around the garage so i can tie my hose into it wherever im working....hell i hate listening to a damn compressor in the garage myself haha. The insurance i had never thought about i will have to check into that. Im sure a garage is more likely to burn down, my dad had a garage burn in 1991. If i remember right the fire marshal said a sealed gas can got too hot and exploded...It was in mid july.

zyoung04
10-01-2012, 01:35 AM
I dont care what u do. Just plz dont turn into the rest of the guys we know buy a house with a garage and then fill it full of projects that me and u call like to JUNK!

WhiteZee
10-02-2012, 02:38 AM
Definitely check this forum out, IV been reading it a lot lately to get ideas of how I can set mine up.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/

yellowzo3
10-02-2012, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by WhiteZee
Definitely check this forum out, IV been reading it a lot lately to get ideas of how I can set mine up.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/

I've been on garagejournal for a couple years.. It's a great site and some of the builds are outrageous.

slightlybent47
10-02-2012, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by blacknblue#2
Im sure a garage is more likely to burn down, my dad had a garage burn in 1991. If i remember right the fire marshal said a sealed gas can got too hot and exploded...It was in mid july.

I’ve never heard of a gas can exploding from built up pressure. There designed to fail before they get to that point. Plus you need an ignition source. I’m not arguing, just sayin.

blacknblue#2
10-03-2012, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
I’ve never heard of a gas can exploding from built up pressure. There designed to fail before they get to that point. Plus you need an ignition source. I’m not arguing, just sayin.

Im not sure exactly, that just rang a bell for some reason, Some kind of can exploding...Next time i talk to dad ill bring it up to see what he says..hell for all i know my old man might have been into insurance deals back in the day hahaha. I was 4 so i cant remember much about it