PDA

View Full Version : Axle Removal

MikEXtreme
03-10-2003, 07:50 PM
The Honda manual asks for a 56mm and 45mm LOCK NUT Wrench. Where do I find these tools at? The local auto parts store does not carry them??? Any suggestions would be great!
:confused: :confused:

MikEXtreme
03-10-2003, 08:13 PM
bump

Originally posted by MikEXtreme
The Honda manual asks for a 56mm and 45mm LOCK NUT Wrench. Where do I find these tools at? The local auto parts store does not carry them??? Any suggestions would be great!
:confused: :confused:

Razorback
03-10-2003, 08:16 PM
You might try an auto shop or Lowe's/Home Depot. They generally will rent tools, and might have what you need.

Of course, you could do like me and use a pipe wrench, then get an aftermarket lock nut :D

MikEXtreme
03-10-2003, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the response..........There is a Durablue already on there with an aftermarket lock nut. The problem is that the axle is loose. If I shake the back grab bar the axle will move.

Originally posted by Razorback
You might try an auto shop or Lowe's/Home Depot. They generally will rent tools, and might have what you need.

Of course, you could do like me and use a pipe wrench, then get an aftermarket lock nut :D

03-10-2003, 08:34 PM
Then your axle carrier is shot and you need new bearings or it sounds like ya need a new carrier...:(

MikEXtreme
03-11-2003, 07:14 AM
What would cause the Axle carrier to go bad?? Improper installation? I was thinking maybe the lock nut bolt came loose......Maybe wishfull thinking!!

426exMx
03-11-2003, 07:24 AM
several things can cause it to go bad, like dirt and water working their way in, lack of lubrication, or the axle not adjusted right, or being too tight or lose:confused:

JOEX
03-11-2003, 07:28 AM
56mm and 45mm LOCK NUT Wrench...
Those are for the factory lock nut. What nut do you have?
The carrier might be fine but the bearings probably not.

Joe

MikEXtreme
03-11-2003, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
56mm and 45mm LOCK NUT Wrench...
Those are for the factory lock nut. What nut do you have?
The carrier might be fine but the bearings probably not.

Joe

Its my buddy quad and he has a Durablue axle and I believe the lock nut is the same as well?? Are the aftermarket lock nuts a different size than stock?

JOEX
03-11-2003, 07:54 AM
Some are different, This what i'm getting in the mail tomorrow:

JOEX
03-11-2003, 07:56 AM
I used a couple of large pipe wrenches to get the stock one off. Kind of hashed it up a bit but I was getting a new one anyway.

Joe

MikEXtreme
03-11-2003, 07:58 AM
The one that is on there looks more like the stock lock nut? Where can these wrenches be bought?

MikEXtreme
03-11-2003, 07:59 AM
Some are different, This what i'm getting in the mail tomorrow:

Who makes that? What size is the bolt? What Axle do you have? I dont want to run into the same problem when I do mine!

JOEX
03-11-2003, 08:04 AM
That is a MeszMoto (http://www.meszmoto.com/) nut.
I think it will fit on all axles. I have a Lonestar comming tomorrow.

You can get the wrenches from Honda, there is a part number in the manual. I'm sure you can find something simmilar at a well equiped automotive parts store or hardware store.

Joe

MikEXtreme
03-11-2003, 08:38 AM
Thanks Joex for your help.

Razorback
03-11-2003, 10:47 AM
That is a MeszMoto (http://www.meszmoto.com/) nut.
I think it will fit on all axles. I have a Lonestar comming tomorrow.

You can get the wrenches from Honda, there is a part number in the manual. I'm sure you can find something simmilar at a well equiped automotive parts store or hardware store.

Joe

If I'm not mistaken, some Durablue axles require a special nut. The stock nut will not fit.

JOEX
03-11-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Razorback
If I'm not mistaken, some Durablue axles require a special nut. The stock nut will not fit.
I think you are correct.

Joe