PDA

View Full Version : Question about lonestar hubs and lug nuts

tman12345
09-26-2012, 11:42 AM
I recently bough a pair of rear Lonestar racing hubs for my 400ex. My question is in regards to the lug nuts that come with it. They are not tapered, they are flat. So when I put them on they dont center the studs within the holes on the rim. Should i just try to center them as best I can??? as theres qute a bit of a difference in regards to whether they are centered or resting on the side of the hole. any insight would be greatly appreciated.

wilkin250r
09-26-2012, 12:40 PM
Many of the popular aftermarket rims use a flat nut, they don't have a tapered insert like the stock rims, that's the reason Lonestar supplies flat nuts. Did you ever contact Lonestar regarding the problem? They could probably point you in the right direction.

I'm not sure if the lugs themselves are the same thread size and pitch as stock, but that would be an easy fix, just use your old lug nuts (or buy new ones).

Otherwise, I would search for an aftermarket lug nut. If you can't find a proper lug nut to go with your Lonestar hubs, like if the thread size/pitch is goofy, then I would suggest a universal kit like THIS (http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/43/-/171/726/-/16418/Tusk-Universal-Flange-Tapered-Locking-Lug-Nut-Set/lug+nuts) , and just use the tapered portion in conjunction with your Lonestar lug nut.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/images/prod/275/t/tus_07_16_pie_uni_10.jpg

CJM
09-26-2012, 12:41 PM
If they use the stock size thread pitch or a thread pitch of another maker, ITP makes both tapered and flat nuts that are quite nice. I got mine from rocky mtn atv/mc.

D Bergstrom
09-26-2012, 01:45 PM
As wilkin250r said, the lug nuts included with the LSR hubs are for aftermarket wheels. If you are still running oem wheels, just use your stock lug nuts, should work fine. Every lug for quads I have ever seen is a 10mm x 1.25 pitch, tapered or flat.

Doug

tman12345
09-26-2012, 05:04 PM
I do have douglas aftermarket rims on my quad. and my concern is that when i went to put on my stock lug nuts that are tapered they started to show resistance while going on so i didnt want to continue and totally ruin my new hubs. when i took the nut off you could tell it was kind of shaving of some of the metal on the thread. so i stopped that right away. but i looked it up and it says they are pressed with the same studs as stock so im kinda confused. Ill probably just buy that kit with the tapers though.

CJM
09-26-2012, 05:21 PM
Your lugs could be messed up, the studs are brand new and sometimes may have slight variances vs your old nuts (which might be worn).

deathman53
09-27-2012, 04:41 PM
I had similar resistance to putting on stock lug nuts. Turned out the threads were rusted, use a re-threading tap to clean the threads. A regular tap will cut threads and and be courser, you just want to smooth the threads.