PDA

View Full Version : Valva Guides

xtreme762
09-26-2012, 10:28 AM
Are they worth replacing if putting new valves, springs, and all the other valve components in the head?

I'm replacing all of the valve components, and I figure why do all that without replacing the guides as well. They're to easy to replace, and cheap enough to buy.

Also, are the Kibblewhite Black Diamond valves worth it?

CJM
09-26-2012, 11:49 AM
Unless your doing oversized valves Id stick to the stock valves. They are made of steel and actually quite good.

I wouldnt bother doing valve seals unless they are leaking. Do replace the springs as they wear out overtime.

dxcody
09-26-2012, 12:12 PM
I have a set of KW springs and retainers and everything that only has 1 ride on them..

Broke my KW black diamond valves though.... Actually I only broke 2. I still have the other 2.

But that saves you some money if you want, I'll sell them.

xtreme762
09-26-2012, 12:17 PM
Thanks CJM.

I tore the head apart to measure everything for service limits. The seals, and springs both have to be replaced. I just figured why not rebuild the head completely. But you're right, the valves are fine as well as the guides.

Just replacing the springs and seals will save money for other needed parts. Next week the jug is going to GT for HD head studs and a .040 overbore. Just waiting on the 11:1 Weisco to get here to send it out.

The motor has never been tore apart, from what I can tell. So, the seals are getting replaced, period. This way i don't have to worry about them. At high RPM it burnt a small amount of oil anyway. So, new seals won't hurt.

Are OEM seals best or are there aftermarkets that are better?

xtreme762
09-26-2012, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by dxcody
I have a set of KW springs and retainers and everything that only has 1 ride on them..

Broke my KW black diamond valves though.... Actually I only broke 2. I still have the other 2.

But that saves you some money if you want, I'll sell them.

I was looking at the KW springs. But read somewhere that they require hard rockers. Any truth to that?

dxcody
09-26-2012, 12:43 PM
They are pretty stiff... but i have never heard that before... I ran them with regular rockers for the short amount of time I ran them.

CJM
09-26-2012, 12:51 PM
I got a deal on some KW valve springs awhile back (motosport clearance hehe) and they are fine. No problems and probably about 30-50+ hours on it.

As for valve seals, stocks fine. There is no difference from what I have seen but Ive only used cometic and stock.

xtreme762
09-26-2012, 02:25 PM
So the Cometic top end kit comes with the seals? Also, does it come with the exhaust crush washers?

dxcody, shoot me a PM with what you want for those.

CJM
09-26-2012, 02:43 PM
The cometic topend kit (depends on which on you get, it needs to be the entire topend kit with head, base and rocker cover gasket) comes with them.

I think it comes with some lame crush washers I never used them I always bought OEM.

FWIW If its the same pipe I keep taking off I usually replace them at the rebuild and then 6mo later just to be sure (order 2 at a time) but Ive taken off the header multiple times and had no issues.

dxcody
09-27-2012, 06:23 AM
E Mail sent xtreme.