PDA

View Full Version : another stator thread. New to me R has digital on it and it quit

SYKO
09-25-2012, 06:28 PM
I know most likely the stator is the culprit, had one back fire right after a slight loss of power and of course I can kick it over to my hearts content without a peep now....

PO of the PO.... built it, and it appears to not been sealed well on the cover becouse when I pulled it off a good cup of water came out (no engine leaks) so I guess it was partialy my fault for not going through the machine when I got it, but oh well.

so tell me what im looking at?

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e306/southgacustoms/1986%20250R/IMG_20120925_105831.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e306/southgacustoms/1986%20250R/IMG_20120925_181200.jpg

so... what are my options? I got a box with the stock stator in it, but well... I would rather just replace what I need to replace and be on about my business. But if you guys got some better ideas clue me in.

also I have NO idea how the pickup was even workin!! there was so much rust buildup it was crazy!

2k2ss
09-26-2012, 06:43 AM
Mine was that rusty inside when I got it and worked fine. Those dynatek cdi are absolute junk!! Do a search and you will see how many people have trouble with them!

2k2ss
09-26-2012, 06:45 AM
I would buy a stock oem cdi if I were you!

SYKO
09-26-2012, 08:00 AM
Well initialy the rust was so bad that I couldn't even see the pickup point on the flywheel my last 250 was clean in there. So the dynatech is junk? Most likely the stator is dynatech as well? I have a OEM setup problem is that the PO butchered the harness. I would rather just replace with Honda parts if needed. So what are the chances that the cdi is just junk?

DnB_racing
09-26-2012, 06:09 PM
you also should clean up that ground at the radiator mount,
go through all your connectors and look for any dark looking spots,

any dark or burnt or melted plastic, indicates Heat, heat is resistance and resistance causes problems...

any brittle wires or connectors should be replaced,

I use a thermal imaging camera to look for any high heat areas,
along with bearings and just about any moving piece, high heat spots usually means trouble, in electrical as well as mechanical systems

SYKO
09-26-2012, 09:29 PM
Yea I plan on going through the complete electrical. I did this on my 85 250r years ago and it gave me many years of trouble free service.

beerock
10-05-2012, 09:27 PM
clean the pikc up and clean the inside of the flywheel, and clean the top metal parts of the stator itself..

more then likely your cdi took a crap, find a cdi to test it but clean those parts too

more then likely the rust contributed to the failure of the cdi because it was barely getting juice and low voltage is worse then higher voltage