PDA

View Full Version : Should I trade my 450r?

400eXz
09-25-2012, 08:10 AM
I need some help guys I've had my 450r for about 6 months and Ive had way to many problems with it. Had to replace the rear bearing carrier 2 times, radiator cracked, rear axle stripped, and the big thing is I had it for about a month and had to replace everything in the motor but the transmission. And now it's leaking oil because of a busted seal, I went to replace a seal and the bolt on the head cover snapped in half. I have a guy with a 04 yfz that says it was rebuilt about 4 months ago and has a port and polished head. Only reason I'm considering a yfz is because my neighbor has one and it will flat smoke my Trx. He has had it for about 3 years and nothing has ever broke on it.

So do you guys think I should trade for this yfz? I will post this in the yfz forum also to see what they say.

400eXz
09-25-2012, 08:18 AM
Here is the yfz http://parkersburg.craigslist.org/mcy/3224875721.html

fast1500
09-25-2012, 08:20 AM
Sounds like you need to take better care of it and maintenance it more. My 2004 has never let me down other than the crank bearing after riding it for don't know how many hours! They are great bikes. Have you ever sat on a yfz? They are really uncomfortable in my opinion. I would keep your trx.

brewster426
09-25-2012, 12:46 PM
A lot of people hate on yfz's. I think they lack in power in some areas. They are more expensive to fix when they brake. (dual cams and what not) but they handle well. They look sick with a quadtech hood. I like the yfz. I like my Honda better..but to each is own.

CJM
09-25-2012, 02:39 PM
Sound slike you either didnt take care of your stuff or got someone elses they didnt take care of.

I wouldnt buy a yfz. Rode both and honestly about the only thing they do better is corner. The power is to linear and takes WAY to long to reach imho. Also the older ones have an oiling problem where the fix is to drill part of the case and install a jet to make sure you dont frig up the motor.

brewster426
09-26-2012, 06:46 AM
Yea I forgot about the oil pump problem. You can make them run good. Brad Covington raced a yfz in the pro class in TT. and there were a few more out there. Some folks like them. But there is a reason you see Honda EVERYWHERE at racetracks. If you wanna go fast you gotta get wings.

blacknblue#2
09-27-2012, 07:20 AM
As far as the rear bearings it sounds like they were installed wrong or not maintained, You gotta keep pressure on them from the locknut...If your motor is all new then i would keep the 450R..You know what you have that way. The guy says the YFZ was rebuilt 4 months ago..Who done it and what all was replaced is what i would want proof of. Anyone else ever browse craigslist much? Seems like EVERY 450 quad on there only hads 5 hours on a complete rebuild!!!! Well i own a little shop on the side doing work on these things and i know how those complete rebuilds are "I just wanna spend enough to get it running, Im selling it anyways"....I cant count how many times ive heard that