PDA

View Full Version : swingarm Q

Tommy Warren
09-24-2012, 08:16 PM
does the swingarm bolt have to be threaded out or hammered out? i mushroomed the end of the bolt and it still won't budge.

DnB_racing
09-24-2012, 08:43 PM
gently slide it out....

that is if the grounds were all good, many times poor ground connections cause electrolysis, and oxidation causing the pivot bolt to seize,

make sure when installing your new one to have a clean direct ground path that doesnt involve the pivot by using a dielectric type of grease to make sure no stray voltage tries to find its path through the pivot,

if the frame was powder-coated, the ground path from factory was eliminated and probably not a complete path now, fix this before it happens again

its too late for this one sounds like sawzall time

ds268
09-25-2012, 10:17 AM
Maintainence is usually pretty slim on swingarm bolts and they get seized up quickly inside the spacer bushings. You definitely don't want to mushroom the end of it so that it won't fit through the frame holes or the spacers. I use a long stainless rod and a big hammer to drive it out. If you can, cut the damaged end off with a cut-off wheel and start over. Worse comes to worse, you'll end up cutting the spacers and bolt. Good luck and next time keep the swingarm bolt well greased!

Tommy Warren
09-25-2012, 05:06 PM
I hammered with everything i have and got it far enough to hit the frame... now it won't budge (probably because it mushroomed just a little bit) I'll have to cut the other end off and carefully drive it out the other way I guess....

Oh and is there a way I can tell if my houser swinger will fit my 05? the guy I bought it from said its for an 05 but I don't know the difference from that and an 06+ thanx

ds268
09-25-2012, 09:58 PM
Yeah, a simple search will show that the 06+ swingarm and rear suspention is a popular swap. If the swinger was built for a 06+ then it should be about 5/8" longer than what it would be for the equivenlent extention on the 05.