PDA

View Full Version : Cobra question

brysn424
09-24-2012, 06:49 AM
Hey guys. Never owned a cobra. Gonna buy one. Is there any difference in the frames from 07 til the new ones? If so let me know so I don't make a mistake? Thanks guys

09-24-2012, 10:24 AM
As far as I know they are the same.. You wont be making a mistake buy buying a Cobra. There frames are the best in the mini quad world and are one off from the rest...

qcitytile
09-24-2012, 03:05 PM
I believe they upgraded the frame in 2012

Ryko racing
09-24-2012, 06:52 PM
we prefer the old ones and gusset the corners .

jay-r
09-25-2012, 04:33 AM
The earliest Cobra frames did not have bolt in motor mounts. Then at some point, they started putting an extra bar between the upper rear a arm mounts. This was a big improvement to help reduce frame cracking. Around 2011, Cobra started building their own frames in house and gusseting the frames from the factory. We have a 2006 frame that we bought the gusset kit from Cobra and added a cross bar like the newer frames. It has held up well. We also have a 2011 frame that came gusseted. It has held up well so far. However, both have required welding at some point. Look closely for cracks if the frame is not gusseted. I don't know if I have seen a Cobra frame that hasn't been cracked somewhere. :D

Ryko racing
09-25-2012, 07:08 AM
we ran the 05 and 06 frame with gusset kit and added a cross tube between the front shocks horizontally and never cracked it again for 2 seasons. be sure to tig weld the frames . the metal is thin and if you Mig weld it, it will crack every time an inch past the weld. These are still the best true production race quads built. its too bad our series iskilling the production classes.

jay-r
09-25-2012, 07:45 AM
I agree that these are the best production mini frames. Since we added the Cobra gussett set and cross tube, ours has been great. The 2011 frame has been good, with the exception of cracking at the motor mount area. But, it is with a shifter and they vibrate terrible, plus I don't believe the engine was shimmed quite right.

Ryko racing
09-25-2012, 08:04 AM
run a tube halfway between the triangle area at the motor mounts. the down force makes it flex and crack at the motor mounts. Also make sure thyere is a cross tube under the tank about 8 inches above the pipe, ( one of my frames came without it).

we gusset all corners too.

jay-r
09-25-2012, 08:10 AM
I hadn't heard of adding a tube to strengthen the motor mount area. I will look at that before we powder coat our shifter frame.

Ryko racing
09-25-2012, 09:04 AM
give your email i will try to draw it for you. Me and Musick used this and never cracked one again. both our boys were big and real fast on these Cobras too. And were huge jumpers. ( the Motowoz or PEP shocks were the absolute best on these.

jay-r
09-25-2012, 09:17 AM
PM sent.

Thanks

edwardsp&b
09-26-2012, 06:49 AM
Hey Ryko, I would like a pic of that too. I am tearing down our 70 mod now, and would like to take a look at that. Ill pm my email
Thanks bryan

Ryko racing
09-26-2012, 07:33 AM
no prob guys. give me a day or so and i will take care of it. thx