PDA

View Full Version : Finally.. What motor do I want!?

TRUTH
09-23-2012, 08:15 PM
Hey all, I think after all these years I finally have my laeger 250r! I'll be selling a 450r motor and putting a 250r motor back in. What builder, cc etc will make the best low-mid mx/play bike? Im mot a racer, i just want fun power! My 250 has been a dream for many years, so I want to do it right! Thanks!!!!!! Frank.

DnB_racing
09-23-2012, 08:44 PM
you have a very large variety..

it really depends on what you want to spend
here is just a few of a long list

you could go sphinx LED ported very expensive but top of the line

BDT pro-cross mid range price very good quality

ESR good entry level into big bores

get used and have Neil do his work, probably the best bang for you buck,

but its really depending on your spending limit, but there are sooo many options out there,

really they are all good if done properly, ESR has some good low cost options if you do it right, a lot of people just throw it together and expect, an LED build,

keep an open mind and dont get caught up in the haters putting any option down, as most of the time it was something they did that caused a problem,

there are more options now then ever, and all can make great power if setup correct

TRUTH
09-23-2012, 08:51 PM
Thanks!! I always wanted a sparks 265, but there are so many options I am not aware of! I'm not looking to spend a ton or skimp. I want a good reliable fun powerplant. Frank.

JackBrown1988
09-24-2012, 10:12 AM
I sold my esr n went with bdt 370 sphinx. awesome engine- great customer service. carlos most knowledge builder u can find. bdt sphinx was expensive for me. best money i spent bud

TRUTH
09-24-2012, 11:34 AM
Thanks! I'd also be open to buying a used setup, not necessarily going to a builder. All advice is appreciated! Frank.

Pinned250R
09-24-2012, 03:34 PM
On a budget build, I would recommend an esr cylinder, and have.it ported by a builder for your riding style. Our local builder is doing my stock cylinder right now, he.got 49 hp on my friends stock cylinder, getting the same port done now. A lot can be done with these cylinders.

etccb
09-24-2012, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by TRUTH
What builder, cc etc will make the best low-mid mx/play bike? Im mot a racer, i just want fun power! My 250 has been a dream for many years, so I want to do it right! Thanks!!!!!! Frank.

Sounds like a esr cyl kit with trx7 type port and a trx7 or trx5 pipe would be just what you are looking for. Whatever porting you do just make sure you don't get it done too crazy for your real wants and needs.
Good luck

DnB_racing
09-24-2012, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by TRUTH
Thanks! I'd also be open to buying a used setup, not necessarily going to a builder. All advice is appreciated! Frank. if your looking for an Mx or xc power delivery,

330cc seams to be about as big as you want to go for a killer mx build

it a good size ,very quick rev and a little more usable power delivery then anything above 350 and up these have just too much hit to have good traction control on a track or trail, great for dunes and tt, but too much for the woods,

unless you want to stroke and PV, which is another option,

im saving for a sphinx 350 PV mX ported from Arlan at LED with a 5mm stroke which would bring cc's to around 363 +or- a few cc's if I remember right,

his main objective in his builds is great acceleration and plenty of pull., without having to rev to the limit, but this setup will be VERY pricey, and require cases bored and Im using Yukon gears to help the longevity of the tranny,

but the point is, the choices are many and diversified according to your cash, needs and dreams,
so put some time and thought into what you will be happy with,
im at the point I dont even want to ride any of my other quads until this one is done, so I want it to be perfect and quick

TRUTH
09-25-2012, 07:53 AM
Thank you for the suggestions guys!! Keep them coming! Frank.

beerock
10-05-2012, 09:36 PM
you can tame any big bore with gearing, it will lower the torque at the wheels and give you a higher top speed..

some 265's can pull on 310's cough cough mine..

and 330 rev higher then 350 and higher and there is an advantage of having a 330 over a 350 because of that but that diminishes when you get to 370.. the toruqe outweighs the higher reving