PDA

View Full Version : 400ex rebuild problem (HELP)

ajf88
09-23-2012, 03:12 AM
I recently bought a 2006 400ex that needed rings im try to get down to the piston but i cant find out how to remove the cam chain. I removed the tensioner but it is still to tight to get the cam out.

dxcody
09-23-2012, 05:21 AM
You remove one of the cam sprocket bolts,
turn the motor over, by taking the timing plug cap off the left crankcase cover, and using a 17mm socket turn it over until you can see the other half of the cam flange, and remove the other cam bolt.

Watch out that the Spring and Plunger does not fall out of your head and into the bottom end.

6mm Allen bolt, is what the cam sprocket bolts are.

Once those are off, just slide the sprocket forward and it will lower off the flange, Then you should be able to get the cam out, and then remove the cam sprocket from the chain.

bingo, you got it.

ajf88
09-23-2012, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by dxcody
You remove one of the cam sprocket bolts,
turn the motor over, by taking the timing plug cap off the left crankcase cover, and using a 17mm socket turn it over until you can see the other half of the cam flange, and remove the other cam bolt.

Watch out that the Spring and Plunger does not fall out of your head and into the bottom end.

6mm Allen bolt, is what the cam sprocket bolts are.

Once those are off, just slide the sprocket forward and it will lower off the flange, Then you should be able to get the cam out, and then remove the cam sprocket from the chain.

bingo, you got it.

Thanks man,
I got the cam out but now I am wondering if i have too remove the valves to get off the cylinder. And how hard is it usually to get the cylinder?

chucked
09-23-2012, 10:45 AM
Your wording is confusing, make sure all the bolts are out and it should slide right out, might need some persuasion with a pry bay. Also, if you havent, put a long zip tie on the cam chain, so you can pull it out of the bottom end if it falls down there.

ajf88
09-27-2012, 08:38 PM
My top end kit just got here and i dont really know how to install the rings(which order they go in and how they go in).

CJM
09-27-2012, 08:56 PM
This needs to be moved to the EX forum. But anyways...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJOQMkDvyJI Thats the easy way. Go easy so you dont break them tho. The literature that came with the piston will explain how to gap and how to install them by offsetting them. The pamphlet will explain it all..

The rings can only go on one way, they only fit in the gaps ont he piston they were made for.