PDA

View Full Version : Motor Build

CJM
09-22-2012, 02:42 PM
Was going to shim the valves, but its a pointless endeavor and only holding off the inevitable. Since this is an 04 and probably hasnt had new valves they are probably worn out anyways. Also while im in there its time for everything pretty much.

Doing stock valves/springs for now. Probably going to have rage port my head and do + 1 valves sometime in the future.

Plans include:
-CP 12:1 (having an issue finding one of these, plenty of 13:1's but not 12:1's??) or venom 12.25:1 piston
-Cometic gaskets
-Stage 2 hotcam (was told bike has it but IDk for sure atm)
-Hinson or wiseco clutch basket
-CRF450r clutch setup.

This quad will be setup for woods/XC riding. Probably going to do a ars-fx linkage with 06 swinger and do +1 or .5+ arms with rebuilt dual rates down the road.

Should give me a nice boost in power and be a good pump gas build.

Thoughts?

levi624
09-22-2012, 06:40 PM
Go with ARSFX's swingarm and their 5.4 linkage. That's what I run and it's so much better then an 06 swingarm even if you run their gold linkage.

Pittsburgh400ex
09-22-2012, 07:08 PM
Sounds good to me man. I was looking at CP not long ago also, i'm fairly certain if you check their website a 12.5:1 is offered, dont quote me on that though.

The HC2 is great as well, i'm sure you have or have run them. Not the best or most aggressive but they are probably best bang for the buck.

I put the Hinson basket, springs and slutch pack in mine about a month ago and not disappointed at all. I opted for the steel one. It's high-carbon steel and heat treated. It will last longer than me i'm sure. Upon opening the box and holding it you get a sense of "man this thing is nice"

Like i've said before to others can deck it alittle bit and bump your compression if you have to run a 12:1. Mine was that way when i got so i'm stuck with it. Not that it's bad, but cant ever take it back to true stock. Other option get the 13:1 and use 2 gaskets, that's what is in mine currently.

As far as your swinger setup, dont know much about them, i've never run one. The only one i've seen/ridden with was a friend with a Houser. He's never had problems and says he likes it. I personally like Houser products, very well made as i have some grabbars, probounce nerfs and a steering stem.

CJM
09-22-2012, 07:31 PM
@levi: Looking over ars-fx website they dont seem to have swingers anymore..maybe I missed something? I was planning on doing an 06+ swinger and the ars-fx gold linkage for 06+ stock swingers.

Ill honestly say I dont beat the quad bad enough in the sand where I ride to really need an aftermarket swinger. In all the years I been beating the hell out of the EX the stock swingers held up with no issues.

@Pittsburgh: I kinda wanna run more comp. but race gas an annoyance around here. Either gotta get it at the track 100LL from the airport or the local dealers. Aint paying for that.

The HC2 is really a good all around cam imho, I dont need an insane aggressive cam that would require me to make damn sure my valves dont knock the piston either.

Ill look into the steel hinson vs AL for longevity. Im sure by now my basket has grooves in it.

basically this whole build is to make it go faster b/c Ill be in the topend anways. Suspension will come much later-prob summertime if not next fall. It handles well enough for what I need now but of course theres always room for improvement.

levi624
09-22-2012, 08:30 PM
You might have to call them. It's well worth it. It's balanced so much better a little more travel and just the front and rear work together.

CJM
09-22-2012, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by levi624
You might have to call them. It's well worth it. It's balanced so much better a little more travel and just the front and rear work together.

Kinda figured as much. Its down the road, if the sucker costs 500 bucks tho is gonna wait a LONG time.

01boneless
09-23-2012, 08:38 AM
Sounds good marc, you can get the cp piston from any sponcer over on org, or on ebay. as for valves stock exhaust valves are fine but get at least ferrea intakes as these 450r's have suckish intake valves because once the coating wears off the intakes they sink like butter. and while you have the head off id call bruno at quadified and see about a good port job...

Dave400ex
09-23-2012, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by levi624

It works well, but I know several GNCC racers that like the stock 06+ swingarms with Gold Series setup better. Their swingarms weigh a ton and quite a few have broken them. I ran it in 08 and then switched to Teixeira Tech for 09/10 with stock swingarm and wouldn't go back to a heavy aftermarket swingarm, no reason.

DeRisi and Dirtworks also make very good linkages for stock swinger.

CJM
09-23-2012, 08:38 PM
Not sure if Im going to do the head up right now, dont think so really. Ferrea valves sound like a good idea but not in the works right now either. I guesstimate I will only be riding the spring/summer on the stock setup anyways and once the winter rolls around next year the heads getting sent out and +1 valves all the way around.

Currently Im chasing an annoying jetting issue. Thought it was rich so I leaned it down a bit but Im still getting a 3/4+ throttle stutter. Thinking the 182 might be to much so Im gonna do a 180. The EX has a 168 in it with the 450r carb and many said a 175 would be best in it..ha my area is sooo weird with temps and whatnot..

chronicsmoke
09-24-2012, 06:44 AM
Pump gas piston with an good port job and cam will give you the power you want without race gas.

CJM
09-24-2012, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by chronicsmoke
Pump gas piston with an good port job and cam will give you the power you want without race gas.

Thats pretty much the plan. Just dont have the cash for the port job atm.

chronicsmoke
09-24-2012, 07:15 AM
I hear you..

Check with Dynamite ATV on the HQ, he's offering a CRAZY deal for forum members.

CJM
09-24-2012, 07:21 AM
^ ill give it a looksee.

ghott
09-24-2012, 09:33 AM
I can't see a thing wrong with any of your planned engine setup. I don't know all that much about XC/MX racing suspension tho...so I can't really chime in there.

As for the CP piston...you should be able to call CP directly and pick one up...they have a really nice 12:1 shelf piston for the 04/05 TRX450R's (stock bore @ 94mm).

Here is a pretty cool chart I put together with the help of a lot of forum members: http://www.garyhott.com/pistons.html

Picture/weight of the CP 12:1 shelf piston: http://www.garyhott.com/images/tech/pistons/04_12-1_cp.jpg

CJM
09-24-2012, 11:52 AM
Thanks Gary. I been using those charts and info alot. Found the Cp piston on Cps site but the venoms cheaper and I like the way he works the pistons.

ghott
09-24-2012, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Thanks Gary. I been using those charts and info alot. Found the Cp piston on Cps site but the venoms cheaper and I like the way he works the pistons.

The Venom pistons are a cut above the CP shelf pistons, that's for sure...packed with great features. I hope you can find one of those tho...I think he stopped making them a while back so they are pretty rare now :S. You might be able to ask John/mixxer if he has any old stock lying around that he might be willing to sell...he usually hangs around on YFZ Central or on the .ORG.

CJM
09-24-2012, 06:34 PM
Ah really? I went to his site and he still lists them it seems. CP shelf wouldnt be to bad either but like you said the venoms are a cut above.