PDA

View Full Version : ******* carb is keeping me from ******* riding... Not a happy camper.

dxcody
09-22-2012, 03:18 AM
:D Finally got the quad back together and running!

Now to the part I am ticked off about..

Same problem I have always had with this carb.

It's doing the same thing that it has done with all my other 400's I have tried to use this carb on..

Makes no sense, I went through and completely cleaned everything. Soaked everything is GAS then blew everything off...

Symptoms:
Idles rough, (my best example: *slow* Puff puff puff puff puff puff puff..) then shuts off.
Hit the gas and it will rev up and die.

Jetting 155 Open airbox
38 pilot
2.5 turns on the a/f screw

Just did this while I was waiting on other jets to come in.

Here is what I did:
Set timing
Adjusted valves
cleaned carb
filled with oil, etc etc...
New gas

Stock motor with a slip on and a UNI.

The jetting can't be the problem. Because you can throw a 155 in a brand new stock 400ex and it will still idle normal and stuff..

Any ideas?

dxcody
09-22-2012, 03:22 AM
Makes me think it is still flooding out, like my float is sticking, but that doesn't make sense either since it is a new float needle, the float, *Floats*,
and I can assure you everything is clean.

None of the o rings looked bad or anything, so I don't think a rebuild kit will really do anything.

I am about to just buy a used carb off my parts guy around here and be done with it.

ben300
09-22-2012, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by dxcody
Makes me think it is still flooding out, like my float is sticking, but that doesn't make sense either since it is a new float needle, the float, *Floats*,
and I can assure you everything is clean.

None of the o rings looked bad or anything, so I don't think a rebuild kit will really do anything.

I am about to just buy a used carb off my parts guy around here and be done with it.

dx...i have the solution

and i was thinking about doing this myself......

.....time to get a 450:devil:

WoodTRD
09-22-2012, 07:13 AM
Is your idle just set too low maybe? Is this on a stock carb? Does it rev clean and then die when it drops back down to idle?

I feel your pain, something as simple as not having the right hose clamp on the airbox kept me from riding for a while one time till I figured out it didn't have a oem narrow clamp and that's why it kept coming loose.

Rohr397
09-22-2012, 10:12 AM
Put a 42 pilot in there, I don't have any more mods to my engine then you do but there's no way I could run it on a 38. Even our stock 400ex struggled with the 38 pilot.

punk rock kiel
09-22-2012, 10:15 AM
im saying jetting is the issue also. bump the pilot up.

xtreme762
09-22-2012, 10:54 AM
Rohr397 is right. Put a 40 or a 42 pilot jet in there and see how it does. My motor is all stock and Im at around 500ft, and with a 38 pilot the motor will pop through the carb.. But with a 40 it runs fine. 42 is a little to much.

Whats the plug look like? Also, are you positive the boots aren't leaking? It really, really sounds like there is a leak somewhere that you're missing. Everything you describe is exactly what happens when there's too much air and not enough fuel.

To test, screw the pilot screw in all the way and back it out 3/4 to 1 turn then give it a go. See how it runs. If it runs better, you know it's getting to much air. Then look for leaks.

I almost guarantee you have a leak somewhere that you're missing. How's it run with full choke?

Something to remember, is that every motor and carb. is different. None will run exactly the same. So, stock here is going to be WAY different than stock there. If that makes since.

dxcody
09-22-2012, 11:21 AM
I can promise you, something else is the issue. I don't want to focus on jetting.

This carb has done this same thing since the day I bought it.

I can throw the same jetting in another carb and it will idle and everything.

Something is messed up with the carb, when it does this exact same thing on every quad.

If you guys want, I can make a video of me throwing my buddies carb on my quad and it will run.. Then I put my carb on there and it wont even idle hardly.

I know the 38 is a little too lean, I am waiting on jets to come in.

It's this stupid carb. It did the same exact thing on the last quad I tried with it.

dxcody
09-22-2012, 03:57 PM
Just bought a carb, so I am going to go out and try it, see how this goes.

BlasterEaten250
09-22-2012, 05:20 PM
http://www.motosport.com/atv/oem-parts/HONDA/2000/TRX400EX/CARBURETOR

Part #21, make sure the spring loaded part on it isn't stuck. You should be able to push down on the little pin and it will bounce back up.

xtreme762
09-22-2012, 05:57 PM
Patiently awaiting results. :bandit:

dxcody
09-23-2012, 01:10 AM
Well, threw the new *used* carb on.

She fired right up and is idling great.

Still don't understand that other carb...

Anyways, I got it going.

dxcody
09-23-2012, 01:11 AM
It's 3:10 AM so I haven't gotten to ride it any, but tomorrow, IT'S ON!

dxcody
09-23-2012, 04:31 AM
You're joking right.... Did my transmission really just go out? And I haven't even gotten to ride it yet?

:cuss:

WHAT THE ****!

CJM
09-23-2012, 06:36 AM
Your not having any luck are you?

dxcody
09-23-2012, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by CJM
Your not having any luck are you?

Nope...

THis morning I went out, after I got it running and everything. Went to shift into 1st and the shifter wont even budge.

Didn't make any weird noises or anything.

Just wont budge.

Was working fine a few days ago when I put it in gear to tighten the axle nut.

xtreme762
09-23-2012, 06:57 AM
WOW! Sorry bro. Sounds to me like that 400 has some sort of curse..

Kick it a few times, and then scream at it! That may get it going. :devil:

dxcody
09-23-2012, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by xtreme762
WOW! Sorry bro. Sounds to me like that 400 has some sort of curse..

Kick it a few times, and then scream at it! That may get it going. :devil:

I'm gonna beat the hell out of it.

Still not as bad as my last 400ex though.

I'm good with the top ends and jetting now it sounds like... Time to learn the bottom end I guess... F*cking expensive hobby.

CJM
09-23-2012, 07:04 AM
Let it warm up, maybe the clutch plates stuck together?

dxcody
09-23-2012, 07:10 AM
I let it idle for about 15 mins, clicked it down into 1st gear and let it roll forward slowly letting out on the clutch.

THen went to shift back into neutral and the shifter is jsut locked up tight.

Took the right case cover off and everything on the right side is still in tact and functional.

Idk.

I don't get how it could possibly be the shifter forks when it hasn't even been rode in 5 months.

i'm about to jsut curl up in the fetal position and have myself a good cry.

dxcody
09-23-2012, 11:00 AM
OK so it's not locked up, it's just really hard to shift.

It also feels like a return spring or something is stuck.

I mean if your prying up on it, decently hard it will shift.. and if you kinda give it a stern tap it will shift down..

Any ideas?

Makes me feel a LITTLE better that it isn't jsut completely stuck though.

dxcody
09-23-2012, 11:25 AM
Ok well, I know this doesn't sound like a good idea at all... But I just rode it around.

I have 1st and Neutral.

I think one of the return springs is broke, because when I shift up (out of first) the shift lever stays up.

And when I click down (to 1st) the shift lever stays down.

No clicking, Clanking, moaning, groaning nothing like that coming from the engine though.

xtreme762
09-23-2012, 11:39 AM
Yeah, it sounds like the shift drum spring may be broke or maybe the bolt came loose somehow and it isn't working properly. I think it would be pretty hard to break that spring.

I guess the shift reset or return spring could be broken too. But I can't see that stopping it from shifting.

dxcody
09-25-2012, 01:36 PM
Ok got my problem figured out.

I lucked out BIG time.

The linkage arm, is not setting right on that Star piece.

The Arm itself was sitting on the star. So it wasn't full engaging the gear linkage.

Now my problem, I cant get the linkage to set right.

It is sitting above that star. So the roller isn't touching the star, the arm is.

I took both the linkage and the star off out, assembled them according to the manual and it's still not sitting right..

Any advice? Also my manual is for a 99-04 bottom end and I have the 07, So i know the bottom end is a little different.

xtreme762
09-25-2012, 02:02 PM
Do you have the spring on the stopper correctly? The stopper spring is supposed to hold it down, and up against the star. I know the 07 has reverse, but should be somewhat the same, right? Maybe you have an extra washer in there that isn't supposed to be?

As in this pic:

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c368/rubbersdown/DSCN3384.jpg

Not my pic, borrowed from the popular threads.

D3structive
09-25-2012, 06:26 PM
I had an issue like that before and was the dumbest thing...my overflow screw was completely tightened. loosened it 3/4 turn and problem solved (and no it doesn't leak fuel, and won't start leaking fuel until almost 2 full turns out)

xtreme762
09-27-2012, 07:22 PM
Did you figure this out yet?

Kinda curious as to what the problem was.