PDA

View Full Version : Head Gasket

sanders2227
09-20-2012, 07:24 AM
So it looks like i blew a head gasket on my ex. It's a 99 with a 440 kit. From what i was told it has HD studs. How do i tell? And if i wanna replace the gasket myself what kind of trouble am i gonna run into? Or any tips would be nice!!!! thanks in advance:) :)

dxcody
09-20-2012, 07:35 AM
Well, you are obviously going to need a top end gasket kit.

I like the Tusk, and never had any troubles out of them, but a lot of members on here use Cometic.
I have before and worked great.

Telling the standard headstuds from HD head studs is really easy.

HD head studs are really thick and straight.

*IN THE PIC THE STANDARD STUDS ARE ON TOP, THAT HD'S ARE ON THE BOTTOM.*

I would say, your best bet is to buy a Clymer manual, and follow it.

sanders2227
09-20-2012, 07:43 AM
So it is as simple to tell as i thought! Have the gasket kit on the way. I ordered Tusk just by reading all the other suggestions from people on here. I printed off step by step directions. Should get it whooped this weekend. Thanks

CJM
09-20-2012, 07:59 AM
IF your jetting isnt near perfect, the motor will heat up-especially the headers. The headers heat up and the exhaust studs pull out and your back to square one.

verify you have HD studs and your studs havent pulled out.

sanders2227
09-20-2012, 08:25 AM
That might be the issue i bought it about 5 or 6 months ago. Said it had HD studs. But im not %100. So i will def check. As far as jetting im sure im a little lean. I was trying to put it off for a for a while so i can upgrade to a 450r carb.So that might had busted my a**.

sanders2227
09-23-2012, 05:19 PM
So I tore it a part and it looks like my piston is scorched!!! Changed my plug last week then it started falling on its face about 3/4 throttle. Checked it out looked like oil from the head gasket. Used kn113 plug!! Need help

CJM
09-23-2012, 08:33 PM
Jetting? What size is the main? You need minimum 170 in the least if not 180+ for a 440.

sanders2227
09-24-2012, 05:42 AM
IM NOT SURE ON MY JET SIZE I WILL CHECK. I JUST DONT UNDERSTAND WHY THIS WOULD HAPPEN AFTER CHANGING MY PLUG IT WAS RUNNING FINE BEFORE THAT.

dxcody
09-24-2012, 06:48 AM
The plug change had nothing to do with it, unless something dropped down in the spark plug hole during changing process.

Like CJM said, jetting is a big factor..

If you were running lean, your rings could have overheated, swelled up, and just completely fried your cylinder.

That or lack of oil is about the only 2 things that demolish a piston and cylinder.

Oh wait, Don't tell me it is a Namura Piston?

xtreme762
09-24-2012, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by sanders2227
IM NOT SURE ON MY JET SIZE I WILL CHECK. I JUST DONT UNDERSTAND WHY THIS WOULD HAPPEN AFTER CHANGING MY PLUG IT WAS RUNNING FINE BEFORE THAT.

What plug did you use?

Different plugs have different heat factors. You can't just go to Autozone and get any ol' plug and use it in your 400 :blah:. Honda uses specific plugs depending on the weather, and/or modifications.

Hot plug = Cold weather
Cold plug = Hot weather/Extended riding

If your motor was already running hot, and you used the wrong plug. It has the potential of blowing the motor. Creating a pretty bad detonation problem if the plug is hot enough. Being that this is a 440, and they already run way hotter than stock. I wouldn't ignore the fact that the spark plug COULD have caused this..
It's Very important, especially with a highly modded motor, like a 440. That you use the proper plug!

http://imageshack.us/a/img145/5363/10075533.png

CJM
09-24-2012, 07:19 AM
I tried looking up that plug, it comes back to a KN filter dude.

The only plugs that belong in this machine are those xtreme listed.

xtreme762
09-24-2012, 07:21 AM
Woops! Herpy Derp!

Hit "Quote" and meant to hit "Edit", lol! :D

I will use the doop, though, to add info for those that don't know.

Different plug gaps have different effects on a motor as well.

The wider the gap, the more power, and heat.
The narrower the gap, less power, but also less heat.

Widening the gap will also net you more fuel efficiency. But at a price!

So, for you guys out there that want the best power, and decide that displacement is the way to go. You have a lot of decisions to make, and A LOT of technical questions to answer.
If it were me, I wouldn't go bigger unless I had to. Or, if I had a Dyno on hand for unlimited time so I could get it right the first time. You can't just throw a motor together and hope everything works. If you do just throw it together, this is what happens.

Take heed!

sanders2227
09-24-2012, 07:50 AM
YA YOUR RIGHT IDK WHY I PUT THE KN# I USED DPR8Z THATS WHAT NKG RECOMENDED. I'M GONNA CHECK MY JETS WHEN I GET HOME. GONNA HAVE A BUDDY COME CHECK IT OUT TODAY. HE SAYS IT JUST LOOKS LIKE BAD CARBON BUILD UP. I'M NOT A VETERAN ON THE EX'S. HE ALSO AGREED WITH ALOT OF WHAT IM READING ABOUT PULLING THE HEAD STUDS. THAT MIGHT BE THE ISSUE.

sanders2227
09-24-2012, 08:19 AM
HERE'S A PIC OF THE PISTON HOPEFULLY I CAN GET TO TO POST. LEMME KNOW WHAT YA THINK. MIGHT BE AN EASY ONE FOR MOST OF YOU GUYS. KEEP IN MIND IM A DUMB NEWBY:D

sanders2227
09-24-2012, 08:21 AM
CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THIS IS A STOCK HEAD STUD?

Zakradu398
09-24-2012, 08:27 AM
Piston looks alright to me and those are stock studs I believe

dxcody
09-24-2012, 09:11 AM
Same thing I was thinking..

Piston looks like a normal piston to me. Typical to have black build up on the top of it.

Those are def stock studs.

sanders2227
09-24-2012, 09:17 AM
OK THANKS GUYS!!! GONNA CHECK IN ON SOME HD STUDS!!

AtvKid4Eva
09-24-2012, 09:22 AM
GT Thunder is who you want to to the HD Head Studs. Just send them your cylinder and it will be around $100 installed. Def worth it.

sanders2227
09-24-2012, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the tip!! i should get my jetting right to so i'm not dealing with this again soon!! Was thinking about a 450r carb. Thats going on the list to

Zakradu398
09-24-2012, 09:45 AM
450 carb should really wake up a 440. Ive been considering it for my 11:1 406

sanders2227
09-24-2012, 10:11 AM
Thanks for all the help guys called Gt Thunder he said about 4 days and $120. Gonna send it out later on in the week. Now im on the search for a carb:D

CJM
09-24-2012, 10:44 AM
It would be very wise before you send it out to have a machine shop check the piston to sleeve clearance.

Or if you have feeler gauges, take the top 2 rings off the piston and put one at a time inside the sleeve using the piston to push it down. Then take a feeler gauge and see what the largest size you can stick in there. These are stock measurements, but yours should be close: Top .008 - .014
second .014 - .020

Also, put the rings on the piston and put it inside the cylinder. It should be decently hard to get it in there-it plops in with ease then your bores worn out.

I say all of this because If you do the HD head studs and find out your piston to sleeve clearance is out of whack they have to remove the studs to bore it, at least on smaller bores. Not sure if a 440 sleeve will come out with the HD studs in there.

Either way, I would look into picking up an LA sleeve 440 sleeve and a matched wiseco, je or cp piston. RUN away from namura brand pistons if you find one!

sanders2227
09-24-2012, 11:21 AM
Ok will do! But thats kinda scary to me. Are you saying this because it looks like it's scorched or just as a just in case???

CJM
09-24-2012, 11:48 AM
Just incase. Its always a good idea if your that far into the engine to check it.

I had a problem where I basically went swimming with the quad. I cleaned out the engine after it locked and everything seemed ok. BUT soon I was burning about a 1/2qt of oil very ride and couldnt figure out why. I checked the piston clearances and decided to do new rings but once I put the rings on I realized I needed to go up a piston size b/c everything was worn out.

Typically every 100 hrs these things should get pistons or at least new rings. Remember the oil reduces wear greatly, but in essence it still rubs and wears stuff.

sanders2227
09-25-2012, 05:29 AM
So i checked my piston to sleeve clearance it fell within the tolerance that you listed CJM. Im sending my head to GT Thunder later in the week. Can you guys give me some idea about were i should be with my jetting? 440 with no lid,K&n, stage 3 cam,LRD header and HMF pipe. I'm gonna see what im running now after work. And i've heard JETSRUS.COM is the best place to buy jets. Please let me know if im wrong

xtreme762
09-25-2012, 06:16 AM
JetsRUs is a great place to order jets. I just order a crap ton of jets from them. I ordered them Saturday and got them in the mail yesterday.

As far as jetting. Do you know your elevation? Here ->Chart (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=445695&highlight=jetting+placement) is a great chart. But remember, it's just a guideline to get you in the area you need to be in. To get it right, you'll have to jet a few times paying attention to how it's running, and the temp..

Also, the different jet manufacturers make their jets different sizes. So, if you have 2 jets the same size from two different manufacturers. The jets are different sizes. There is a chart for cross reference in the third post in the thread above I believe.

Good luck.