PDA

View Full Version : pwk carb tech

desratt
09-18-2012, 08:24 PM
On a pwk carb we have to hold the throttle about 2/3's open and kick like mad. What is this usually a indication of jetting wise? Maybe lower needle clip raising the needle?

bloodswet&gears
09-18-2012, 10:19 PM
If it really is a jetting issue, I would say pilot is too large and/or needle is too rich. Usually when you have to hold the throttle open they are flooded.

Hetrick Racing
09-19-2012, 06:22 AM
Agree or float a bit high, cracked reed ,yes any way you look at it to much fuel

desratt
09-19-2012, 12:10 PM
got 2 motors brand new and 2 sets of reeds and happens with both so im sure it's not any of that.

selbygirl
09-19-2012, 01:02 PM
every 2 stroke i have owned even when i was a kid . i would pump the gas twice pull the choke and kick it , and if it wouldnt start check the plug and see if its wet most times its dry so i would go with a bigger slow or pilot jet , if you are holding the throttle means you need more gas to start, or you have a fouled plug and its taking longer to spark, you cant bog a 2 stroke you have to run it fast . most kids on new fast motor will bog it they wont run it full throttle , i tell all my kids on 2 strokes even on the shifters run it hard like its going to blow up

bigdaddy77
09-19-2012, 03:22 PM
Normally when you have to give it throttle to start means it is jetted to rich. By giving it throttle you are opening the slide and giving it a ton more air. Just the oposite of pulling the choke.. What motor and carb combo do you have. and what is it jetted?

bloodswet&gears
09-19-2012, 03:43 PM
Well. Depending on which pwk it is it could be a bad jet block o-ring, even if it is brand new. If you put a fresh plug in it and it gets soaked, then something is letting too much fuel in. Are the vents kinked? Is there anything stuck in the pipe?

desratt
09-19-2012, 07:07 PM
Been through the carb a hundred times. Not plugged or nothing. I can start fine but my 6 year old is having trouble. He could start his other bike no prob.

bloodswet&gears
09-19-2012, 07:13 PM
My oldest is 5. He could start his older,worn out engine. He can't start the one he has now. Just dont weigh enough to kick it over. If you can start it there shouldnt be an issue unless yall are racing xc.

desratt
09-19-2012, 09:56 PM
Yep xc and mx

Hetrick Racing
09-20-2012, 09:55 AM
Well the only other thing that would possibly give you the result you have could be ignition timing.
If the plug is being fired to early it COULD in theory do what yours is doing .
You kick it harder and faster than he does so the piston travels faster to the top which compresses the combusted mix to allow it to run.
When he kicks it it burns the fuel it has at the point of ignition but has the remainder of the cyl to accumulate more fuel with no fire,giving you a wet plug.
Just a thought
retard the timing a bit to check the theory

hotquads1
09-20-2012, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by desratt
got 2 motors brand new and 2 sets of reeds and happens with both so im sure it's not any of that.

Are these stock motors? are these oem pwk carbs? what size carb? what size engine?

desratt
09-20-2012, 01:50 PM
I think the leaning out the pilot is the thing I just haven't been able to do it yet.. thanks for all the help, will let you know.

selbygirl
09-20-2012, 02:14 PM
my son had a hard time stating his quad , i put a koso kicker on it and it helped a lot

desratt
09-20-2012, 05:16 PM
a what? whats a koso kicker?

selbygirl
09-20-2012, 06:38 PM
koso is the company they make a real nice kick starter lever. im shore one of these quad companys carry them , there is one for sale on ebay , just look under koso kick starter , i dont no if that one will fit your bike but it will give a picture of one

Logan #34's Dad
09-20-2012, 09:29 PM
a what? whats a koso kicker?

Justin at MaxRPM will more than likely have a KOSO kicker in stock.

desratt
09-20-2012, 09:56 PM
Ok tried every pilot from the original 50 down to a 35. Haven't moved the needle at all. Do you think moving clip up would help?
Cobra 70ss with a 28 mm keihn pwk.

fomospede
09-20-2012, 11:07 PM
yes it will leave your plug in the right range on last run not rich when you go back to start it

Ok tried every pilot from the original 50 down to a 35. Haven't moved the needle at all. Do you think moving clip up would help?
Cobra 70ss with a 28 mm keihn pwk.

desratt
09-21-2012, 10:45 PM
Tried every jetting combo. Now won't start at all. Checked spark again. Apears to be a little week to me. Sparks once per kick if that. Have to kick real hard to get a bright spark. So maybe coil? I disconnected the tether. No difference. Inspected the stator but it's brand new too. Cleaned carb again. Will try different fuel tomorrow.

selbygirl
09-22-2012, 06:09 AM
check your copresion , check your plug wire cap see if its dirty in side . most bike shops sell them cheap , check your plug wire make shore its tight . sometimes i would cut a 1/4 inch off of each end of plug wire and put it pack together, and its a cobra right , is it a automatick .i no peaple who had problems with the stator .they would get dirty and make weak contact

fomospede
09-22-2012, 06:32 AM
selby,
ive seen black dust or powder in a cap recently whats your thought on that!?

OTE]Originally posted by selbygirl
check your copresion , check your plug wire cap see if its dirty in side . most bike shops sell them cheap , check your plug wire make shore its tight . sometimes i would cut a 1/4 inch off of each end of plug wire and put it pack together, and its a cobra right , is it a automatick .i no peaple who had problems with the stator .they would get dirty and make weak contact [/QUOTE]

selbygirl
09-22-2012, 07:33 AM
a lose cap and its arken . i zip tie the cap to the spark plug make it tight we lost a race before from a lose plug cap it came off spark plug. if its dirty in side i would get a new plug cap ngk caps are like 5 bucks , and the bike runs and starts better

fomospede
09-22-2012, 07:57 AM
we run the ngk waterproof boots
just noticed it couple weeks ago
put on the new spare and had crimped the connector a tad so it was tight actually runs the same but i knew it wasnt right!
im used to seeing carbon tracking not the dust

selbygirl
09-22-2012, 08:25 AM
i would say the dust is like saw dust . its like taking a vibrating sander 2 pcs of metal rubing together . these 2 strokes vibrate a lot

fomospede
09-22-2012, 09:44 AM
yep thats the stuff!

Originally posted by selbygirl
i would say the dust is like saw dust . its like taking a vibrating sander 2 pcs of metal rubing together . these 2 strokes vibrate a lot

desratt
09-22-2012, 08:13 PM
All checked and feels perfect. Today went out and started easily. But still have to give it a little gas to the perfect throttle position for it to start. Just want it to start easier for my son. He could start his last 2 bikes but not this one. I can even have trouble. Last weekend the flaggers couldn't start it either so i was chasing him all around the track.

selbygirl
09-22-2012, 08:43 PM
when ever i had that problem i would go a little fatter on the pilot . or turn the idle up just a tad