PDA

View Full Version : Climbing HILLS....

WANTIN AN EX
03-10-2003, 04:15 PM
hey guys, ive been thinking about trading my rancher in on a used 400ex which i have found, anyway i was wondering how the 400ex will compare on hills compared to my 4wd rancher?? with practice will i be able to take it into the same places?? maybe more?? ive heard of good riders on Ex's out pulling 4wds all the time i just havent seen this in person. also since we trail ride ONLY, with momentum will i be able to get through the mud on the trail not deep crazy stuff just normal mud that gets piled up? and one more question how will the ex compare in offcamber situations i would think with the lighter weight that ya could use ur body weight to control the bike more than i could the rancher? thanks a bunch guys i need to know this stuff so i can convince my dad that i can still get around here in the mountains of eastern kentucky... thanks a bunch lemme know what ya think, i REALLY want to make this swap and get on something that suites me better the EX :devil lata

luvmyex
03-10-2003, 04:57 PM
The ex will climb any hill your rancher could maybe more when you learn how to ride it.Its alot diffrerent.The front is much lighter and will stand up easier.You also use momemtum to climb insteed of crawling.
Its not a mud machine.But if you have a good set of tires on the back it should get you tru the smaller holes.Best to go around them if you can.Alot less wear on bearings and such.
Off camber?No comparison.The ex will be like riding flat ground compared to the rancher.
And last but not least.Trees and wrecks hurt alot more cause your going much faster!
You cant go wrong with a ex.Its THE best trail quad out.Just think about where you stop or where your going so you dont have to push it backwards much.

spud400ex
03-10-2003, 05:30 PM
i like climbing steeper hills on my 400ex more than my rancher becuase it is faster but as long as you do it right the 400ex will climb just as much as the rancher.

WANTIN AN EX
03-10-2003, 05:32 PM
sweet, i ride the rancher to its limits literally, and its def. time to find something diff, i dont mud bog per say anymore anyway, and aviod most of it anyway, we just go pull hills, and go on long trail rides, the hills we hit are always in 2nd, and most are pretty steep, i figure places i used to kinda bounce up ill shoot up instead. and most hills are not super long, just short hits up, the other question is how about big rocks and roots? will the front end sky rocket really easily when it hits something like that, or with a lil weight over the front will it stay planted? also how do u position ur weight when yall hit hills, sit down? or stand, on the rancher i put one leg on the seat so i can get off quickly if... but that puts my weight back and the front likes to get airborn quicker i guess what i wanna know is can u keep the front end down when ur hitting hills or does it come up REALLY easy with an accidental blip of the throttle? thanks again guys... the EX is for me i just gotta convince dad of that fact, he was gonna let me get a dirtbike, but id rather have 4 wheels under me, and more COMFORT... later fellas and thanks again

spud400ex
03-11-2003, 04:18 PM
when i climb short steep hills i lean slightly forward and stay on the seat and when the front end starts to come up i back off the throttle and the get back on the gas.

Str8Wicked
03-11-2003, 04:59 PM
I never have problem with the front coming up as long as you keep your weight towards the front it won't go up and I only weigh about 145-150...... Once in a while when it does come up even with my weight forward I just keep on it and it'll come back down as soon as your over the hill....

WANTIN AN EX
03-11-2003, 06:58 PM
thx guys, thanks a bunch, i think the rider is what determines where a bike can go, not so much the bike. ive seen 2wd 300 honda's out pull 4wd's allllll day long. good riders mind ya. welp i think im gonna go for it, i should be on a red or yellow they got two used un's 400ex in the next few weeks :D :cool: later fellas thanks for ur help

@Bad465EX
03-12-2003, 07:29 PM
GO with the 400 you wont be disappointed

250x#93
03-15-2003, 05:33 PM
Yup get it, 400 are awesome on trails and climbs

jesshamner
03-17-2003, 05:54 AM
You will have to re-learn to ride hill like I did but it will be a lot easier and you can attack bigger hills if you have the right approach. To be honest with you on the weight of the front...I usually try to keep the front about 2-4 inches off the ground when I go up just so i don't hit roots that would make me flip. I let the roots and rocks hit the back tires so to put my front end down on the ground. Just learn to ride wheelies! I went from a Polaris Magnum 325 2x4 to a 400ex and it is a lot more fun. Go with the ex!

JD400exrider
03-20-2003, 05:52 PM
the ex is a very predictible quad. Hill climbs great. Tell dad that if it comes up and over it is allot lighter of a machine to come back down on top of you. ;)

Honda4trax250x
03-24-2003, 10:08 AM
go for it!