PDA

View Full Version : help the 80 wont go unless giving a push.

moosews6
09-18-2012, 03:40 PM
Here's what happen. I took the 80 in to have the starter replaced because the bendex on the starter wasnt engaging.

I didnt have time to do it myself because we were headed on vacation in a week and I was working 70 hour weeks.

So, the shop I took it, took the side cover where the clutch is, thinking there may be a gear in there bad. He took the front clutch and belt off, but did not touch the back part.

When we got it back, its like its stuck in high. It has zero low end power. But, if you get it rolling it flys.

I've taken everything apart, inspected. Belt looks ok, clutch is free.

I dont know what else to do.. help!:confused: :confused: :confused:

LT80
09-18-2012, 04:47 PM
We usually pull/press the belt into the rear clutch for front clutch/belt installation.
I'm wondering if the belt is stuck in the rear clutch.
If not that, then maybe a roller problem from installation.

moosews6
09-18-2012, 06:21 PM
So I took it all apart on back. and put it together that way. Basically, pulled the the spring back, to give me more length on the belt.

could it be that the belt isnt being able to loosen up? I did check all the rollers in the clutch. they seem fine:confused:

moosews6
09-18-2012, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by LT80

I'm wondering if the belt is stuck in the rear clutch.

been thinking that also. how do i fix? the springs move. they are tight though.

LT80
09-19-2012, 07:23 AM
"Usually" once the belt spins, the rear clutch pushs the belt out.
Maybe the rear clutch sliding face isn't sliding and pushing the belt out. Might need cleaned and lubricated.

moosews6
09-20-2012, 07:08 AM
When you say lubricate, what do i use? Wd40, ?

I did clean the surface with a wire wheel because it had a little bit of corrsion on it. not a lot, but I had it apart, so I cleaned it.

LT80
09-20-2012, 07:17 AM
I'm talking about taking the sheaves apart and lubricating where it slides (light film of grease).
You must remove the clutch pack (big nut and it's left handed thread)
Then there is a collar you remove. There are 3 pins that the sliding face slides on (the collar hold them in). Remove the 3 pins and the sliding face will come off.
Clean and lubricate. :)

moosews6
09-20-2012, 07:07 PM
just to be sure. we are talking about the part in towards back with belt on,, correct?

thank you for the help!

LT80
09-20-2012, 07:45 PM
I've been talking about the rear clutch, not where the rollers are.

Altho, In another forum, the rollers had fliipped durring installation thus the moveable face was stuck out (so to speak) and the belt could not return to the correct position in the rear clutch.

moosews6
09-21-2012, 06:09 PM
thanks.. its one of those those things I wanted to be sure of. lol. we are at the beach, so going to pull it apart on monday.