PDA

View Full Version : HD head stud install question

400exwhipper
09-17-2012, 09:39 PM
Well my I replaced the head gasket on my buddies quad to find out that 2 of the head studs were stripped, I recommended the gt thunder kit, so say I tear the motor down and order these, how hard to put in myself and if not possible what's a good price to put in an already tore down motor, thanks.

Stickman400
09-17-2012, 10:21 PM
It's $55 to have GT Thunder install them if you send them the cylinder. I wouldn't recommed installing them yourself unless you have the machinery and machining skills. A local shop may do it for slightly less than GT Thunder can do it but not much.

WoodTRD
09-18-2012, 06:23 AM
Remember GT Thunder also uses a special roll form tap that makes the cylinder threads a good bit stronger that the regular tap that your local machine shop will most likely use...that's why I went ahead and sent my cylinder in to them for the bore and HD head stud install instead of the local guy I usually use. Just that much more peace of mind.

dxcody
09-18-2012, 07:33 AM
If you do try to do them yourself.

Just remember to not drill all the way down through the stud seats.

You will leak oil all over the place... Just saying. Been there.

Pittsburgh400ex
09-18-2012, 02:15 PM
Send it away to be done correctly. You were going to tell your friend to go ahead and ride with a blown head gasket.
I'd hate to so what you'd do with a cylinder and powertools!

CJM
09-18-2012, 02:33 PM
Do it right or dont bother.

Theres a reason it happened as well, improper jetting! Got to hot and heated up the headers and blammo the studs pulled out.